PDA

View Full Version : Removing Steering Wheel

Anton
23-02-03, 11:18 AM
I've undone the nut, and hammering it, but it still won't come off. Also tried oiling it and still no luck.

Any ideas?

_JH_
23-02-03, 11:25 AM
first option, go to a garage, give the guy a pint if you can borrow his 2 legged puller.

if not, remove shroud etc and unbolt whole steering column, slide it out, and it'll be easier to work on. hammerin it can be a bad idea if you want the column intact

Anton
23-02-03, 11:27 AM
well the cars got no engine doors wheels interior etc, I just want it off the fastest and quickest way possible.

_JH_
23-02-03, 11:37 AM
do both then, unbolt the column, go down the garage,

or, assuming you have another car that works, go and borrow the puller, come home, remove steering wheel, take puller back

rob.slader
23-02-03, 12:11 PM
I struggled with mine, but it eventually came off. I un did the nut but left it on so the wheel didn't fly off and take my head off! Soak the column where the steering wheel is in WD40 overnight. Then using pushing/pulling from top to bottom and left to right on the wheel, keep pushing and pulling, eventually it will crak off the splines. Took about 1/2 hour and was very frustrating!

whitey
23-02-03, 02:16 PM
To be honest it completely dipends on the car! There is no difference between age as always mentioned! I had a B and had to remove column and my J was the same! But with the J I sprayed with WD40 for like 5 days in row pulled, hit from behind, used knees etc!

TRUST me when I say that I did it! Still no joy, so best bet is down vaux garage and a fiver! I did this, just walk into the garage section with the column if you cant drive it obviously! (That can be a bitch too! You will need to knock the bolt around with something like a centre punch! You will c what I mean when u see it! It will be knackered when finished so go buy another from a hardware store!)

Anyway, he will use the puller (amazin tool and i was amazed at how fukin easy it came loose! Just fits in the two holes and they attach a tool to the end like a torque wrench which tightens and pushed down, causing the wheel to pop off!

JUST make sure you realign the wheel or hub properly when u refit otherwise you will look like tw*t when u go bak again!

Whites

Ste_Nova
23-02-03, 02:28 PM
i've got a puller... cost me ?6

Anton
23-02-03, 02:54 PM
i've got a puller... cost me ?6

where from?

mikeoxford
23-02-03, 05:26 PM
theres nothing like having you and three mates grabbing on to it for a good tug 8) worked for me :lol:

Chris LR
23-02-03, 06:50 PM
I let a mate do mine, I would never have hit my own car as hard as he did.

Metal bar onto the colum, strike that with 'one' clean hit from a lump hammer.

Ste_Nova
23-02-03, 07:14 PM
if you hit it you will snap the lugs in the coloum and it can colapse