PDA

View Full Version : Engineers Report??

gtachorley
01-08-09, 12:19 PM
Right I insured my Nova as a 1.6 16v and paid for it with adrian flux....all good I thought.

Now they have written to me a week later to ask for an engineers report they need it within a week or insurance is invalid never mentioned it before :(

Spoke to my mates and got a universal "dont know anyone stupid enough to register an engine swap" / "Why did you tell em", eventually worked out that best place would be Vauxhall so its booked in on Wednesday.

Question is what exactly do they do / check, because it is my daily driver and its fine for me but the ecu is still in the engine bay tucked out of sight and it makes a few wierd clunking noises (something with the driveshafts needs looking at but it drives ok and need a week off to look at it) so it isnt perfect but is safe and proper IMHO?? How thorough is the examination??
Its only 35 quid so cant imagine its too involving??

AlexW
01-08-09, 12:23 PM
IIRC it will be just to confirm the conversion is done correctly and the engine is indeed a 1.6 16v.

wwmnw
01-08-09, 12:36 PM
Spoke to my mates and got a universal "dont know anyone stupid enough to register an engine swap" / "Why did you tell em",

And that right there is why young lads in "Racer boy cars" have a hard time with the police and insurance company's.

Hopefully they are stupid enough to do an engine swap and not declare it and get caught.

philip
01-08-09, 12:37 PM
vaux will charge you a **** load knowing what there like.

any reputable garage should be able to write one for you on headed paper to say the conversion has been carried out to a suitable road going standard and items such as brakes and suspension are all adequate for the conversion

stylesy451
01-08-09, 01:06 PM
my cars all legal but my mate works at a bodyshop and he says when the insurance people come out to inspect the damaged cars he says 9 out of 10 dont lift the bonnet!

gtachorley
01-08-09, 01:13 PM
IIRC it will be just to confirm the conversion is done correctly and the engine is indeed a 1.6 16v.

That was my understanding, but what is correctly??? Its in it runs, bilsteins and 2.0 brakes so thats ok, but the wiring is a bit messy i.e ecu should be in car (will have a little tidy up before I take it down there)?

Oh and alot of my mates have engine swaps in Corsas mainly but not one has it registered and none have ever been done for it, its annoying!!

If I hadnt registered the conversion my dad would'nt have allowed me to park outside my house lol

Pistol Pete
01-08-09, 01:16 PM
vaux will charge you a **** load knowing what there like.

any reputable garage should be able to write one for you on headed paper to say the conversion has been carried out to a suitable road going standard and items such as brakes and suspension are all adequate for the conversion

This man talks sense. Its just to confirm that some bodge it billy hasnt made the car unroadworthy. Get a garage to do it for you, take a copy (for your own records) and send the original to the insurance company.

Adam
01-08-09, 01:21 PM
A garage wont do it for you unless they've done the conversion. Unless you're friendly with the owner.

Sounds like vauxhall are just charging you an hours labour tbh,and probably wont have a clue what you are on about

Pistol Pete
01-08-09, 01:22 PM
Good point Adam...on both counts.

Just out of interest who are you insuring it with?

stevie-p
01-08-09, 01:24 PM
adrian flux i think it said fella ??

Pistol Pete
01-08-09, 01:29 PM
lol so it does!

Adam
01-08-09, 01:33 PM
Adrian Flux are a broker, they dont actually insure cars

AlexW
01-08-09, 01:46 PM
By correctly id guess just correct brakes, suspension, make sure theres no massive bodge jobs and the wiring is ok, so its not going to catch alight and the fuel lines are away from anything very hot i presume.

Adam
01-08-09, 02:01 PM
An ecu (designed to be mounted in a dry/cool plate) mounted in the engine bay isnt really ideal tbh......

AlexW
01-08-09, 02:14 PM
Its not ideal but im sure it wouldnt be Much of a problem. And anyways its only a 5min job to get it inside.

Jack
01-08-09, 02:17 PM
I had Craig write me a note when I had the car MOT'd with him to confirm the engine change, although that was mainly for DVLA purposes. Other option is to have an RAC/AA vehicle inspection.

Spoke to my mates and got a universal "dont know anyone stupid enough to register an engine swap" / "Why did you tell em"
btw your mates are cockgobblers :)

philip
01-08-09, 02:55 PM
im ok with my corsa for when i need an engineers report for the mot. in theory i could write it myself as im qualified as a mechanical engineer. but ill get my mates garage to write one on some headed paper.:d