PDA

View Full Version : Running problems

Ferrit
31-07-09, 10:14 PM
I have already posted on here bout the problem but coouldn't find thread

I have c20xe fitted in my nova, when you accelerate hard it struggles to rev and you have to lift off and feather the throttle, also when it's warmed up and your going through the gears it struggles to rev in third gear.
Checked all earth points, i have a external redtop pump fitted and a 3 bar pressure regother than that the car is pretty standard
Could it be caused by over fuellin
just wonderin if anyone has any ideas
Cheers RUSS

Ferrit
01-08-09, 12:02 PM
btt

Southie
01-08-09, 12:06 PM
If you click on your own name on the left it brings down a window which will say other posts by yourself. Your other thread. CLICKY (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126236)

Ferrit
01-08-09, 12:28 PM
ok good to know.
any ideas

jimbob-mcgrew
01-08-09, 05:15 PM
is it running hot by any chance ? and starts poor when warmed up ?

Ferrit
01-08-09, 10:20 PM
yes it runs hot but starts up ok

jimbob-mcgrew
02-08-09, 04:06 PM
im havvin similar problems on mine, havving to ease the throttle thru as it pinks like mad if i load the throttle, runs hot too, from what i can tell, its all being caused by underfueling, im havving problems setting up the carb and its running lean as anything.

Ferrit
03-08-09, 09:55 AM
yeah sounds like same thing, but mine is completely standard so don't know why it's happenin.
could a stickin idle control valve cause it, (i have cleaned it already)
i tried a new maf sensor yesterday and still the same so any more ideas would be appreciated

jimbob-mcgrew
03-08-09, 10:30 AM
i could be wrong, but i dont think the idle valve would cause it to run lean, it would just upp the revs to like 2k ish at idle possibly (prob make it run slightly richer if anything) ?

if youve allready changed the air flow sensor with no luck, all i can think of is the lambda sensor on the exhaust for the other half of the fuel and air communication. they can be a bit pricey tho, depending where u find them, and i wouldnt want u wasting money on my behalf if it doesnt fix the prob.

before you do that. pull all 4 plugs out and note down what colour they are, if youve got a haynes, the sparkplug diagnostic pictures on the back page are awsome for eliminating problems on the fuel or ignition side.

you should check your timing with a light gun on the crank pulley too, make sure thats spot on.

besides it running hot, are you getting a clear reading on your temperature gauge ?

Jack
03-08-09, 10:37 AM
Checked the pump? My external pump went US (after it munched the contents of the tank>pump pipe lol) and caused lean running with the same symptoms - heat, bad acceleration - as above.

Ferrit
03-08-09, 12:00 PM
what should i do then just bang another pump on and see what happens

jimbob-mcgrew
03-08-09, 12:33 PM
fuel pumps are expensive man, id rule out other probs first before forking out on parts.

Ferrit
03-08-09, 12:36 PM
I'll go borrowin from some people, the one i'm running is only second hand one i got off danny brookes with the bronze tigra so only cost me a tenner
If not i'll borrow from scrap yard;)
I also have a 1.4 one out of an astra lyin about somewhere would that flow enough

therealnovaboy
03-08-09, 01:33 PM
check the timing. could the bottom pully have sliped on the crank or belt jumped a tooth?

fennah
03-08-09, 02:25 PM
have you checked the rubber donut inbetween the air flow meter and the sfi box ? ive had a few that have split and can be quite hard to see , take it off and give it a good check close up

Ferrit
04-08-09, 11:18 AM
Well i've ordered a new gasket for the tophat and got a fuel pump from the scrappy, haven't fitted the gasket yet but the new fuel pump has made it a bit better but not brilliant.
Took plugs out yesterday and they were white,
Also checked the timin and it was ok
I'll cheeck donut tomorrow cos i've got a spare somewhere

Jack
04-08-09, 12:49 PM
White plugs = running lean.

Ferrit
04-08-09, 02:21 PM
i figured that bit, just need to know why now:)

Ferrit
07-08-09, 02:32 PM
Think i might have found the problem
below the throttle linkage there is another linkage which is attached to something above the idle control valve
it has an electrical plug on it but i haven't got one on the loom to connect it.
i was just wonderin if anyone knew what it is and should it be connected
Also i took blue injectors out and replaced with cream and it made no difference