PDA

View Full Version : spray virgin

Nova-Flair
22-02-03, 06:43 PM
im thinking of taking off my handles and boot grab to spray as a cheap but effective (cos im skint!) mod tomorrow any ideas where to start???

i have neva sprayed n e thing before so im gonna start with the bootgrab as i have a spare.

any help appreciated.

Wiggie
22-02-03, 07:36 PM
well.....just remeber that a quality finish is all in the prep work, get your self:

a can of plastic cellulose primer (or as close as)

some "wet and dry" sand paper of 800 and 1000 grit.

bottle of white spirit

and a day off

the bootgrab has the tipical ruff affect on it (i think) so chuck the can of primer in a warm place for a few hours, meanwhile get some white spirit and wipe down the part (getting rid of impurities) allow it to dry off COMPLEATLY!!! then spray the object with the primer, lightly. give it about 3 coats -15 minutes between. alow to dry over night then with the 800 grit (wetted) start sanding in str8 lines. do this untill you can feel it smooth, then get it super smooth with the 1000 grit (wetted)once its smooth let is dry out for a while (primer is absorbant) then wipe down with white spirit again and spray up with your colour, wack nice thin coats on (but not too thin as you will get a egg shell effect)

If you cock the final coat up, dont panic just sand it smoth again with the 1000 grit (wetted) and just spray it agian.

good luck bud :wink:

mikeoxford
23-02-03, 05:39 PM
MAKE SURE the paint is THOUOUGHLY dry before trying to use wet and dry paper on it. as the paint will just come off in rolls like when you run a knife across butter.

the key to spraying is LAYERS, THIN ONES and lots of em..........

hold the can i think about 15 cm away, press, swish right, let go, press swish left, u get the idea, dont have it on constant.

mikeoxford
23-02-03, 05:39 PM
and dont waggle your can about everywhere so the paint particles dry in the air before they touch the item! nice small progressive sweeps

Nova-Flair
23-02-03, 10:58 PM
right im upto the first coat of paint.

i primered it and made the surface v.smooth lobbed on the first coat and it has a shine to it but its not shiny as i expected will this improve with the more coats i put on? should i use laquer?

should get another couple of coats in tomorrow

by the way my car is flame red

mikeoxford
23-02-03, 10:59 PM
did you use filler primer or similar or just primer........

filler primer (yellow from halfords) you can sand dead smooth, its that initial smoothness that gives you the shine IMO

once you have built the coats up you will be fine

when u think you have cracked it, and your happy, give it a LIGHT sanding with wet and dry and apply one more coat - THEN you will get your shine

Wiggie
23-02-03, 11:15 PM
if you dont manage to get nice finish....slap a few more coats on extra and get some cutting compound, t-cut possibly...but summit abit courser is better then pollish it up,

i cant think of the name of the compound we use at work ill find out tomoz, ill see if it can be bought in little tubs for ya.

Nova-Flair
23-02-03, 11:38 PM
i forgot to mention i havent had access to a garage or n e thing so i had to do it in the back garden i think this may have fcuked up my finish a bit. it was primed nicely and was v smooth i sanded it down and even the primer had a shine to it but i have put the first coat of paint on and it seems to be dull. is there any way back now??? :cry:

Wiggie
24-02-03, 01:19 PM
lol yeah called sand paper. lol
nah ok check:

your paint isnt matt (no offence)

try it agina and keep both your boot grab and paint warm for bout 2 hours before you spray then do likei said put loads on and cut it back and polish it.

what colour is it by the way???

Jim
24-02-03, 01:46 PM
NovaFlair, I would tell you how I went about doing my work, but since you've already started, theres not much point, but it was pretty similar to what Wiggie, Mike and the others have said.

I'm not sure if you're going to get a great finish spraying it in the back garden tho. Try building a booth of some sorts to give the component some shelter whilst spraying it.

Wiggie, I think he said it was flame red. Also, whats this compound, can you buy it off the shelf? I often do small spray jobs at home, but I find getting that really nice shiney finish is a pain in the arse, I could do with this rubbing compound to finish the job off.

Cheers,

Jim

mikeoxford
24-02-03, 02:15 PM
its just a glorified t-cut that body shops use TBH

Nova-Flair
24-02-03, 04:23 PM
well i sanded down my first coat today to get it even smoother then i have put another 3 coats of paint on top.

im quite pleased with it. i might have to slap a bit of t-cut on at a later date once the paint has hardened.

onto the handles now! :D :roll:

cheers for your help lads!