PDA

View Full Version : 2e veterans

jimbob-mcgrew
31-07-09, 02:48 PM
im getting quite a bad starvation of fuel, is there anywhere common on these that they clog up or what have you ?

and are there 2 jets, as the last one i took apart had what looked like a jet topside but i spotted one next to it on the underside too ?

and whats the small, what looks like a vaccum hose at the back thats t'd into the cam cover oil breather ? as i have a very small split in that pipe, might effect it ?

Mike
31-07-09, 03:01 PM
Auto choke is funked. They always go. Allegedly there not available from GM anymore, as (apparantly) I bought the last one in the UK in 2004?

jimbob-mcgrew
31-07-09, 03:03 PM
but it starts fine, and choke is on, flicks back in quarters till its off, still borked u reck ?
doesnt like starting at all when warm tho. and pinks under load.

Mike
31-07-09, 03:12 PM
doesnt like starting at all when warm tho. and pinks under load.

My SR done this, anything over 80 an the engine would stall lol would start fine just once warm it didnt want to know at all.

Turned out to be a mega clogged airfilter & knacked choke.

jimbob-mcgrew
31-07-09, 03:27 PM
how did u sort the choke out, fit a manual kit ?

Mike
31-07-09, 03:56 PM
how did u sort the choke out, fit a manual kit ?

Nah just fitted a brand new auto unit.

jimbob-mcgrew
31-07-09, 04:00 PM
thats just the side dome bit where the 2 water hoses go right ?
and bobs yer uncle after that was it ?

jimbob-mcgrew
31-07-09, 04:02 PM
so how can i tell if the chokes had it, can i manually move the lil slider switch thing to check it ? i should just take the bugger off and gaffa tape my choke cable to it.

jimbob-mcgrew
31-07-09, 04:16 PM
but i dont see how it could cause an underfueling problem, all a choke does is limit the air and send in extra fuel, (richening the mixture). if it was broken and not working, the fueling would be anywhere from normal to too rich, and i would have the opposite symptoms to what ive got, its running leanius maximus.

Mike
31-07-09, 04:24 PM
Its not fuel starvation your getting, its lack of air intake. Hence knackered choke.

Go out in it tonight, try an reach somewhere in the region of 100mph+ an see what happens, the engine will stall or try an stall as its not getting enough air to mix with the fuel thats going in.

jimbob-mcgrew
31-07-09, 04:49 PM
i cant push it that hard, it pinks under load, wouldnt wanna knaker it anymore than i allready have. im sure it'll go full wack, but id have to throttle it very gently and work my way upto max rpm, it doesnt like the pedal going down suddenly.

Asa-James
31-07-09, 07:03 PM
are both throttle butterflies opening up? the second one is vac operated iirc, checked all the vac lines?

jimbob-mcgrew
31-07-09, 07:06 PM
i dont think it is, i tried pourin fuel down the hole and it just lingered in the chambre. but saying that i dont think theres anything wrong with the rest of it, but again saying that, theres so much external crap wrapped round a 2e, difficult to keep track of it all. were does it get its vaccum from ? is it from backdraft of the bores or something ?

Asa-James
31-07-09, 07:07 PM
gimme 5, might go get mine and check...

jimbob-mcgrew
31-07-09, 07:10 PM
i think somet from the thrtottle linkage pushes on somet at about 3 quarters throttle and that thing it pushes on is prob vac conntrolled ?? at a total guess lol

Asa-James
31-07-09, 07:18 PM
right this is the vac unit that controls the second throttle
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/asa_037/IMGP2667.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/asa_037/IMGP2668.jpg

pull the pipe off the body and suck on it with the main throttle open and the second one should open up (do it with engine not running) still working on where it gets the feed from

Asa-James
31-07-09, 07:20 PM
i think it pulls vacuum from passing air from the sound of it, i'm going to look at the exploded view during dinner (my parents love me really!)

jimbob-mcgrew
31-07-09, 07:22 PM
pull it off and suck it eh, cheers ill try that :thumb:
nice lil blade u got there.
what inlets that, looks like it might be a 1.3sr by the shape of the ports ?

Asa-James
31-07-09, 07:39 PM
its off my old 13sb, the engine thats shortly going in my new un

jimbob-mcgrew
04-08-09, 12:20 AM
ok, took me a while, but this morning before work i had a quick tinker.

i managed to sort out the bad earth for the starter motor, so i dont have to use a jump lead to spin the starter anymore.

i had a look at some of the vaccum hoses on the carb, the secondary butterfly does open when that pipes sucked, which is a good sign i guess lol

one of the other vaccum lines was a lil perished at one end, so i snipped the bad bit off and re-attached it.

i unscrewed the top jet and gave it a quick inspection, didnt look like it was blocked in any holes or thru the spine of it, but i gave it a few sharp blows just incase it did.

as far as im aware i havent changed anything apart from fix a few bad bits, but now the car wont idle, and gets juddery at low revs, stalled it and rolling bumpstarted it a bunch on the way to work today and on the way back i went ruthless on it and broke with the handbrake while i had the clutch down and revving it to keep it going at junctions, never ending probs with this black majic cursed voodoo engine.

i cant tell if it runs any better. it seems to only like getting driven hard now, altho it still pinks at high rpm, but the harder you drive it, the extra seconds you have of normal driving before it starts to stutter. its almost like flooring it builds up petrol, but when your taking it easy, its not got any reserve.

starts and idles fine from cold with the choke on tho, only when its a bit warmer and the choke flicks off do you get these probs.

project jumpstart to project bumpstart.

jimbob-mcgrew
05-08-09, 02:49 AM
hmm, seems to have jonny 5 fixed itself somehow ? it might have been a diff variety of petrol i put in a day before the symtoms occured, as it seem to go back to how it was from the min i filled up, whether releasing the fuel cap did somet or it didnt like the higher octane fuel. seems ok now, still pinks under load. next plan of action is pressure test the 4 chambres and check the inlet gaskets. and try once again with the colourtune, see if i can get a rich flame. ive gotta change the water pump and cambelt too, plus do a bit of jimbodge custom bodgery with the bottom rad hose, and flush and re-fill the system.

dazz4
11-08-09, 02:23 AM
if its still pinking try retarding your igniion timing, the spark could be coming too late and not burning fuel properly.

Sloth
11-08-09, 06:52 AM
indeed id be tweaking the dizzy bud. or junk the 2e and look for a polo or golf with a weber, as they fit straight on. i know of a 2e in a scrappy if its any help?

dazz4
11-08-09, 11:48 AM
indeed id be tweaking the dizzy bud. or junk the 2e and look for a polo or golf with a weber, as they fit straight on. i know of a 2e in a scrappy if its any help?

is it the carb that fits to nova manifold or does vw manifold fit on???? just to clarify

jimbob-mcgrew
11-08-09, 03:08 PM
yeh that was my next plan of action retarding the ignition, which i did today before work. its pinking less now, but can still hear it on full throttle, also the engine runs a bit lame now, not as fiery as it was, altho it could only take 3 quarters throttle before, after that, pink crazy. hmmm. im gonna give it a second go with the colourtune sparkplug, see if its still running lean, and take it from there.

i woudlnt know about the v-dub fitting, but its on a vauxhall manifold. i think the 1.6 is the same as the 1.4, twin choke manifold.

Sloth
11-08-09, 07:52 PM
carb fits the vaux mani boys, not the dub one

jimbob-mcgrew
11-08-09, 09:42 PM
got the timing prety close, and its colourtuned up, seems alot better now, yuh!

i think the whole prob with the carb was a perished vaccum hose

still a dog to start once warm tho, hmmm.