PDA

View Full Version : setting up timing with a light gun

jimbob-mcgrew
30-07-09, 10:27 PM
anyone know an easy way to explain how to do this ?

i just slapped the light on earlier to see if it worked and the pulley marker was about an inch and a half left of the pin, spun the dial thing on the back of the gun and i think it was close to lining up around 60 degrees, what does that mean exactly lol

Asa-James
30-07-09, 10:30 PM
i'd say somethings not right, either the engine is just plain wrong or you havent put it on properly. the clamp should go round lead 1, if its carb'd and has vac advance disconnect this. you need to find what you engine runs to (about 10 degrees btdc) and set the degrees on the gun. light it up and twist the dizzy til its gets bob on the pin. if the engine struggles to keep running as you turn it you'll need to adjust your idle speed

--thats going on my experiance of carb'd small block.

jimbob-mcgrew
30-07-09, 10:52 PM
asa-james to the rescue again lol

brilliant, that was well explained for my neandathal brain. cheers. :thumb:

im hoping it needs advancing as i cant retard much at all without it dieing, but the revs rocket when advanced so ive been like "whoah there buddy" and found a medium. difficult to alter anything much as the carbs underfueling massively. i can only hope that a good turn on the dizzy to advance and level the revs out via the idle screw will sort things, if i cant get enough angle on it using the dizzy i guess its a tooth out on the belt (im still not sure where its supposed to be as ive not got an original cam mark) its fairly close tho.

once ive got a 1.2 carb inlet i can use my 1b on it (which i know works) to fine tune it further.

jimbob-mcgrew
31-07-09, 02:44 PM
bah, i musta messed up with the gun before as the timings bang on, dunno how i managed to set it up spot on just by listening to the engine.

fueling probs then it seems. getting there slowly.

jimbob-mcgrew
01-08-09, 05:19 PM
a guy at work that knows a thing or two about cars checked it for me, he said if the crank marker is at TDC then the gun has to be set at 10 degrees or whatever the engine need to be set at, but if the marker is at 10 degrees like mine, then u set the gun to zero. with it on zero it was bang on prety much.