PDA

View Full Version : Getting tax

Jim Mcrae
29-07-09, 11:27 PM
Is there anyway to tax a car you have only just insured, online or by phone?? Or is it wait 48 hours for it to get onto the database??? Any help appreciated. Thanks

Welshy
29-07-09, 11:33 PM
you have to wait for your insurance papers as far as i know mate

Jim Mcrae
29-07-09, 11:37 PM
okay.... but if insured it should be on the database within 48 hours yeah, and can you tax by phone all 24/7 im picking up a car on saturday evening but its sorn thats all.

Welshy
29-07-09, 11:38 PM
urm.... not sure mate

AlexW
29-07-09, 11:39 PM
You can do it online after about 12hours providing your insurance company is on the ball.

Its a offence to drive without displaying tax tho, and noway would you get tax within 2days lol, Mine took 4days.

calibra-keith
29-07-09, 11:46 PM
i did it all online when had calibra printed it out put papers on dash, i also know a lad near me that did same and got stopped but because the ref number are there the police can do check there and then and said that was fine,

not sure if this is 100% legal but it they was happy with this around here.

or just calm your passions and wait lol

Plug
29-07-09, 11:49 PM
i want to know what your buying :)

and you got the nova back on the road yet? or fixed? (trying to remember now)

Jim Mcrae
29-07-09, 11:50 PM
its my only day off and payed £68 for train fares lol okay will insure 2 days prior i suppose, which is a real pain.

Plug
29-07-09, 11:51 PM
ive just had to get day insure for my mate to drive my new nova courticy(sp?) of jonD off here

fennah
30-07-09, 12:37 AM
think you can do it online but your gonna need the reference number off the main part of the logbook so make sure you got this b4 the old keeper sends it off or u'll have to wait till logbook comes through post or take new keepers slip to post office , go on the dvla website it tells you how to do it all , and wot you need , think its all legal to drive though if you tax online you just need to print off something and carry that with you incase you get stopped , shame its not the old days b4 number plate recognition cameras :mad:

Jack
30-07-09, 08:07 AM
think you can do it online but your gonna need the reference number off the main part of the logbook so make sure you got this b4 the old keeper sends it off or u'll have to wait till logbook comes through post or take new keepers slip to post office , go on the dvla website it tells you how to do it all , and wot you need , think its all legal to drive though if you tax online you just need to print off something and carry that with you incase you get stopped , shame its not the old days b4 number plate recognition cameras :mad:
ANPR won't get you for not displaying a tax disc if you've done it online (as it will show up on the database as taxed), so in that respect its good as PC Lazy will just be sat there waiting for the camera to bleep at him rather than actually doing some proper policework and using his own eyes.

Anyway. Depending on your interpretation of the law, you can drive without displaying a valid tax disc - ref RTA 2002 part II section 6:

Exhibition of vehicle and nil licences
6. - (1) When a vehicle licence or nil licence has been delivered to the Secretary of State with an application for a replacement licence, no licence need be fixed to and exhibited on the vehicle to which the licence relates until the replacement licence is obtained.
One assumes that if you do it online, the application for a license is "delivered" immediately to the Secretary of State.

I say depending on your interpretation, as it says "when a vehicle license or nil license has been delivered with an application for a replacement license" - When you renew or apply for VED, you fill out an application form but don't return your old license. That quote above makes it sound like you're only exempt from the failure to display law if you return your old, current, VED license in return for a new one, which I read as replacing a defaced or damaged license NOT when applying for a new one. Hmm.

[edit] Mind you, there's a section after that which deals with duplicate/replacement licenses, so I would guess that the above quote only applies to renewals

Jim Mcrae
30-07-09, 09:47 AM
Cheers for the help, I have insured it so now will hopefully be able to tax it online on saturday, the insures also gave me cover on the other car untill tomorrow eveining so its all turned out good.