PDA

View Full Version : doing a 2.0 8v turbo. need help!!

speedyd
29-07-09, 06:47 PM
im wanting to turbo my 2.0 8v in my nova and want to know how i should go about it. like can i use the turbo set up from 2.0 16v turbo? can anyone help do it?:) :) :)

Mike
29-07-09, 07:03 PM
Dude, no, just no.

Give up now, your about to get flamed into the fiery depths of hell.

Twistie
29-07-09, 07:04 PM
every one that i no that has started to da . 2l 8v turbo has never finshed it

Mike
29-07-09, 07:05 PM
every one that i no that has started to da . 2l 8v turbo has never finshed it

I know why lol its a hell of a lot of hassle!! Easily done tho looking back.

fennah
29-07-09, 07:12 PM
will need different low compression pistons or decompression plate for starters , plus a load more bits on top could cost more in the longrun than buying an let, also ports on the 16v engine different shape to 8v so turbo wont bolt straight on either

djshaggeh
29-07-09, 07:14 PM
Speak to sloth, he seems to be in the know.

Mike
29-07-09, 07:27 PM
Speak to sloth, he seems to be in the know.

lol copied & pasted from vaux extreme ya mean :thumb: lol

mowgli
29-07-09, 08:22 PM
the 2.0 8v turbo was a gm usa factory engine, dougie from TV reckoned it was called the 2.0get if you can find american bits on the bay, then it could be done easily.

Al3x
29-07-09, 11:12 PM
ive heard of the 2.0get came in certain chevvys. saw a complete get engine sell on ebay a couple of months back for roughly 300rips.
but i dont know if they bolt up the same etc...

GRUNT 16V
30-07-09, 10:37 AM
Yep I Know A Chap Who Has One In His Mk2 Cav That Being A 20 Get Rare As Fook He Had It Imported Fron Yanky Land

donaldo89
30-07-09, 11:31 AM
ive got a load ov turbo parts from a subaru GT-B im breaking if there`s anything you could use. turbo dump valve etc

Rysee
30-07-09, 11:46 AM
Have a goosey at this, and ask him some questions, he's you're man

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/projects-restorations/376417-1978-kadett-c-2l-8v-turbo-adventures.html

Mike
30-07-09, 01:40 PM
20GET was found in a Pontiac 2000GT, also done a 1800 version (1800GT) basically its an SEH with a blower strapped onto it.

Inlet & outlet manifolds fit SEH & NE motors :thumb:

Very easy to get to get the parts for in the UK aswell.

mayhem
30-07-09, 03:50 PM
there is an online shop for c20get parts, i'll see if i can find it.

also check this site:

http://www.hg-motorsport.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p5256_Turbo-Kit--Custom--Opel-C20NE-8V-115HP.html

craig green
30-07-09, 04:07 PM
Indeed the GET manifold is a god send if wanting to mount a Garret T25 charger.

You could fit C20LET rods & pistons for a non-pikey way of sorting the CR, though for modest/low boost applications the NE pistons are OK. Much of a conversion such as this involves all the sundries outside the engine, ie oil feed & returns, boost piping, re-routing breathers & intercooler positioning etc.
To make a proper job of it, you would use an aftermarket management system & have it properly mapped. Otherwise a rising rate fuel reg will take care of the fuelling, but again only if running lowish boost pressures. You'd be amazed what 7psi feels like compared to N/A however.
You could drop an XE/LEt top end onto an NE bottom end & use the LEt KKK manifold & charger, but you then have to use the inlet aswell & it starts to become an exercise of buying a C20LET in parts. The 2.0 8v's turbo up really well though & I actually considered doing that very conversion, but chose the smallblock 16v as the head is capable of flowing more air than the 8v ever will, so was the best bet for me.

mayhem
30-07-09, 04:14 PM
let pistons in a c20ne wont work iirc. some strange thing with the sparkplug angle and the let piston, ends up in frying pistons.

craig green
30-07-09, 04:19 PM
Pretty sure there has been a few instances of people using the LET pistons in an SEH though..... Maybe ditch the NE head?

SR-supernova
30-07-09, 04:26 PM
cheapist way of doing it and bit of a boge way tbh would be to addapt a standard exhaust mani to fit a turbo t25 or similar, as for managment MF2 sigcon and use a 5th injector to sort fuel, get a de-compresion plate made up and sort the oil return pipes, if you can get hold of somone who is handy with a pipebender and a welder it would help alot! then just buy a universal boost pipe kit of egay, should be fine, try and source a ic second hand off here or similar, dv, boost gauge, and air fuel ratio so you can map the mf2 this is done with adjusting a screw so no dyno needed, and could be set up over a weekend, thats bout it! aslong as boost stays below 9psi your probs safe with that.

Mike
30-07-09, 04:37 PM
cheapist way of doing it and bit of a boge way tbh would be to addapt a standard exhaust mani to fit a turbo t25 or similar, as for managment MF2 sigcon and use a 5th injector to sort fuel, get a de-compresion plate made up and sort the oil return pipes, if you can get hold of somone who is handy with a pipebender and a welder it would help alot! then just buy a universal boost pipe kit of egay, should be fine, try and source a ic second hand off here or similar, dv, boost gauge, and air fuel ratio so you can map the mf2 this is done with adjusting a screw so no dyno needed, and could be set up over a weekend, thats bout it! aslong as boost stays below 9psi your probs safe with that.

Ah if only it was that easy ehh.

Altho i do actually have a cast GM manifold with a T2/25 flange fitted to it AND oil feed/return pipes for an 8v Turbo. (Direct off the oil pump - no drill tap block shet)

craig green
30-07-09, 04:39 PM
Sounds like uber-bodgery. I always say hats off to barn-style conversions, but seriously, if you are going to cut corners with every aspect of a build like this, its barely worth wasting the time & money on parts.

mayhem
30-07-09, 04:43 PM

or you go look at the link i placed, order youre c20ne turbo kit there, order youre decompression plate there etc etc.

screamer69
22-10-09, 06:24 PM
Sounds like uber-bodgery. I always say hats off to barn-style conversions, but seriously, if you are going to cut corners with every aspect of a build like this, its barely worth wasting the time & money on parts.

wouldnt say that ! theres fook all wrong with 8v turbos
www.vaux-extreme.com/td/10.9.wmv (http://www.vaux-extreme.com/td/10.9.wmv)

Sloth
22-10-09, 06:29 PM
if i was the o.p i'd ask mr screamer. he owns the fastest astra mk2 in th uk right now, and guess what, it runs a 2.0 8v turbo. look at the site above, all youll get on here is the let brigade insisting its a crap idea.

Paul
23-10-09, 01:07 AM
2 headgaskets, cream injectors, rising rate fpr, 4 branch flange weld on whatever manifold you like (we used erst and kkk) drill drain hole on front of block, get oil line made from back of block by pump. Had t4 running 16psi on this setup. Mk2 astra ran 15.0 at pod with slipping clutch.

dan16v
23-10-09, 05:22 PM
Pretty sure there has been a few instances of people using the LET pistons in an SEH though..... Maybe ditch the NE head?

Craig i thought the Issac Hunt nova used LET pistons, so you could be right!

craig green
23-10-09, 05:48 PM
wouldnt say that ! theres fook all wrong with 8v turbos
www.vaux-extreme.com/td/10.9.wmv (http://www.vaux-extreme.com/td/10.9.wmv)

I've had an 8v turbo. You clearly havent grasped what I was getting at, or read the subsequent posts that led me to that comment.

screamer69
25-10-09, 10:02 PM
Craig i thought the Issac Hunt nova used LET pistons, so you could be right!

let bottom end 8v head , standalone engine mani and gas :)

screamer69
25-10-09, 10:07 PM
I've had an 8v turbo. You clearly havent grasped what I was getting at, or read the subsequent posts that led me to that comment.

i only read the last few post :)

screamer69
25-10-09, 10:17 PM
just to clear a few things up as i carnt be bothered quoting everthing

1. let pistons work fine ,and so do z20 let pistons
2. you carnt drop a 16v head on a 8v bottom end ( bent valves )
3. oil feed from the back of the block as theres choice of 2 grub screws to take the oil feed from

the c20get was 8.0:1 c/r with a larger inlet manifold with a t25/28 ( carnt remember the turbo ) other than that it was basically a 20ne and the power was 170 bhp and would bolt straight into one of our cars :)

standard ne /seh pistons/rods will see over 21 psi boost if on standalone
machined ne piston with 2 stage regulator will see 12 psi with a large intercooler

the 2 gasket way is ok if you run low boost but its not the best way of doing things but it does work