PDA

View Full Version : Damn Gearknob!!!

Benson
21-02-03, 10:59 PM
On my old Mk1 Nova the gearknob just unscrewed, but on my Mk2 it doesn.t seem to wanna. Anyone know how to get it off before I go into a full scale war with it?

novax
21-02-03, 11:43 PM
you'll have to hacksaw it off.

Fester
22-02-03, 12:53 AM
yep it can be attacked and removed without shortening the shaft unless that is your aim

mikeoxford
22-02-03, 12:54 AM
heat it up a bit see if you can melt the glue, otherwise the only other option is hacksaw, cut downwards through the centre of the knob oeer missus! :lol: as soon as you hit metal then saw the sides, this way you should even TOUCH the shaft :lol:

Nova-Flair
22-02-03, 07:03 PM
mine was a biatch to get off. just be persistant and keep sawing away till u get it off (now if i was dirty minded that would sound dodgy :wink: )

Chris LR
22-02-03, 08:14 PM
Do Vaux still sell the original ones? Mines looking a little tired after 71k & 11 years

mikeoxford
23-02-03, 05:43 PM
:oops: thats why i dont wanna rip my red SR one off! i like it :oops: if i put on the gearknob i have floating about off my old car i would have to get another gear stick from a scrappy as i cudnt cut the original!

Chris LR
23-02-03, 07:00 PM
I'll have to get myself down to Vaux when I have chance.

Fester
23-02-03, 10:16 PM
i cant really stand the aftermarket ones, but the GTE already had one on complete with the usual 'doesnt quite fit and spins around' characteristic - hardly an upgrade

sorted it with the araldite in the even of an emergency i can always saw it off (not sure why though) or just release the whole shaft as youre supposed to do :lol:

mikeoxford
23-02-03, 10:46 PM
what really nice knobs are there..........?

i bought one for my old nova as it was like ?9 from A B Fletchers Birmingham, does actually look really good, not cheap crap, its not that comfortable though

Nova-Flair
23-02-03, 11:48 PM
my all-time favorite gearknob is the momo race airleather ones they r v.nice

but also v. expensive :(

Jim
24-02-03, 10:51 AM
Chris LR, what colour interior do you have? I have one of the original gearknobs from a Mk2 SR with the red and grey interior. The gearknob is Red. Needs a clean, but it's in good condition, you can have it if you like?

My gearknob came off really easily by the way, lol. I now have a nice chrome and black Momo gearknob, Mmmmmm :D

Jim

Anton
24-02-03, 11:52 AM
mine came off easy and i put a flashing led one on

locky
24-02-03, 05:08 PM
My gearnob is nice and cumfy 2! it was a ?10 bargain lol chrome with carbon fibre centre!