PDA

View Full Version : is this illegal?

lewisvalver
28-07-09, 07:01 PM
i pay the tax for a 1.2 and my car is still registered as a 1.2.i was just wondering if this could be dodgy for police checks etc as its a redtop,a boy at my work was saying that if the car doesnt match the paperwork or the tax isnt right then my insurance would be invalid.even tho i have insured it as a 2 litre.anyone know the crack with this?

Cheers,Lewis

Southie
28-07-09, 07:03 PM
It's tax fraud so yes illegal. Your paying car tax for a 1.2 on a 2 litre.

Just send off your v5 to declare the engine number and they may also want the extra monies for outstanding tax but at least it would be legit.

kevw
28-07-09, 07:05 PM
Your insurance is only valid if you have MOT, Tax and a valid license. If you are on your way to get the car MOT'd and have no tax then this is an exception.

If you are taxing the car as a 1.2 and it is actually in a higher band (2.0) then technically it's not taxed.

If I've got anything wrong here please can someone correct me :)

draper
28-07-09, 07:06 PM
of course its illegal muppet

General Baxter
28-07-09, 07:06 PM
im doing this at the moment on my nova,

but iv got written conformation off HIC, that they will still honer the insurance,

this is only due to the dvla **** ups and them taking there time lol

1.2 to 1.4 took 8 months, then i put in for the 1.6, come back as a 1.4 again, it come back as a 1.2, jees how hard to get it right lol

scott.parker
28-07-09, 07:18 PM

but iv got written conformation off HIC, that they will still honer the insurance,

1.2 to 1.4 took 8 months, then i put in for the 1.6, come back as a 1.4 again, it come back as a 1.2, jees how hard to get it right lol

I'm in the same boat as you Nick, DVLA are useless!

As for the topic in hand, I'm shocked how silly your being, of course it's TOTALLY illegal! sort it out, as you could end up in serous **** with DVLA/government tax authority's etc, and the police will love you big time! lol

lewisvalver
28-07-09, 07:35 PM
lol ill better get it sorted then,not had the thing very long and wasnt sure,i really fell by the response that i should of known this but none of my work mates were sure either lol

lewisvalver
28-07-09, 07:40 PM
yeh i know i just followed suit of the boy who i bought it from lol,and i knew it was illegal...i just didnt know if it was serious illegal or not so serious illegal if you know what i mean

Southie
28-07-09, 07:45 PM
yeh i know i just followed suit of the boy who i bought it from lol,and i knew it was illegal...i just didnt know if it was serious illegal or not so serious illegal if you know what i meanBaaaaaaaa

Illegal that is all...

Lee H
28-07-09, 07:51 PM

To go up a tax band like you will need to for the 1.6 you will have to go to the DVLA local office and pay the difference in tax. All Swansea do is just keep sending the V5 back with the wrong cc on.

Same applies to the original poster.

General Baxter
28-07-09, 07:53 PM
To go up a tax band like you will need to for the 1.6 you will have to go to the DVLA local office and pay the difference in tax. All Swansea do is just keep sending the V5 back with the wrong cc on.

i am not leaving my car in a birmingham car park, no matter what lol

lewisvalver
28-07-09, 08:00 PM
Baaaaaaaa

Illegal that is all...

all i wanted to know:thumb:

scott.parker
28-07-09, 08:43 PM

Same applies to the original poster.

Correct, the Muppet's have done this 3 times, even after i have been to the local office and "thought" i had sorted it! :roll:

Then had a letter saying to get a receipt for the engine swap work, or a independent garage to check CC/engine code etc etc, then send that back on headed paper, so i did that then.....

Got this letter Friday!

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6881/dvlacockup.png

Dumb ****'s gave me 6 months for 1998cc but have no idea what they are doing as they wont sort the log book details, now they have all the info all over the shop and think i have a wrongly taxed 993cc! total useless pricks!

Lee H
28-07-09, 08:48 PM
That is a nightmare Scott, i've done this a few times and been lucky I guess, never even had to get proof of engine swap but have noticed them seeming to clamp down a bit recently.