PDA

View Full Version : What discs and calipers for a rear disc conv

danderv
27-07-09, 10:33 PM
As the title says what is the best way to convert to rear discs on my sport?

Rich
27-07-09, 11:56 PM
Ideally early non abs astra gte 16v stuff but its getting rare. Have a look in the articals im sure theres a how to

_JH_
28-07-09, 12:55 AM
personally I'd say golf rear discs/calipers is the way forward for a sport as I seem to remember they were homologated for 1300 Novas

Steve
28-07-09, 12:57 AM
In all honesty rear discs aren't worth doing, speak to any big block owner and most of them with over 200bhp only need standard 2.0 16v brakes on the front.

Will F
28-07-09, 08:47 AM
In all honesty rear discs aren't worth doing, speak to any big block owner and most of them with over 200bhp only need standard 2.0 16v brakes on the front.

Really?? I wouldnt say thats accurate!

'Most with over 200 bhp'? There are not that many! ;)

I would bin them off as soon as you stick an airfilter on it! lol

That said a decent set of disks and pads can be OK.

Steve
28-07-09, 05:08 PM
skidmarkz nova is way over 200bhp and he runs standard 16v brakes. Rear discs aren't worth it as with such a light car you've always got the problem with the rear end locking up.

draper
28-07-09, 05:11 PM
skidmarkz nova is way over 200bhp and he runs standard 16v brakes. Rear discs aren't worth it as with such a light car you've always got the problem with the rear end locking up.

not if the bias are set right

dont take offence but are speaking form experience or from what others have said/wrote on the web/your mate dave says ??

ive had rear disks on 2 novas now and didnt have problems with the rear locking up

still have the disk beam if you want to strip the stuff of it danderv ;)

Steve
28-07-09, 05:35 PM
No ive never had rear discs but if a nova with over 200bhp doesnt need them then I dont see the point in them, thas all im saying.

If people want to put them on theri car then thats up to them, and yes your right in saying they can work if the bias is setup correctly but again imo 9/10 you dont physically need them.

Benn
28-07-09, 09:44 PM
Gotta agree, mine to hardly anything when braking. Never had any locking up probs but has given the pedal a naff feel.

But if i was doing it again, i'd use a mk4 astra set up.

mowgli
28-07-09, 10:03 PM
danderv, if you don't mind me saying, if your sport is a real genuine one of the 502 sports, you are causing me a certain amount of distress by actually planning a huge amount of mods to it that would be fine if done to a lesser model.... but a sport is the closest to a classic car that the nova will get for years.

cunit
28-07-09, 10:03 PM
I use 260mm off a cav, think it was a 2L 8 valve.

Will F
29-07-09, 08:31 AM

Ok, so thats one example? lol

I agree that rear disks are not needed for the majority or cars (including mine) but I disagree that most use them ion the front with 'over 200 bhp'

The Simps
29-07-09, 09:03 AM
Just my opinion.

256mm 16v brakes are ok on a valver nova if only used for the road. On track you really need something better or end up spending a lot of money on discs and pads. They just suffer so much brake fade.

Astra/Cav/Cally 16v stuff is best on the rear as they are not too big. I agree, its a conversion more for looks and ease of servicing.

Personally I'm going to be running something like a 256mm disc and 4 pots on the back of mine.

GRUNT 16V
29-07-09, 10:39 AM
i ran a rear disc conversion from about 1998 upto 2008 looked good but for practicality i wish i would have kept the drum set up .

Will F
29-07-09, 03:29 PM
Just my opinion.

256mm 16v brakes are ok on a valver nova if only used for the road. On track you really need something better or end up spending a lot of money on discs and pads. They just suffer so much brake fade.

Astra/Cav/Cally 16v stuff is best on the rear as they are not too big. I agree, its a conversion more for looks and ease of servicing.

Personally I'm going to be running something like a 256mm disc and 4 pots on the back of mine.

Good point on servicing - I would much rather 'service' some rear disks than fecking about with drums.

Lee swears by valver brakes, even for track - but then he is a massive gay.

The Simps
29-07-09, 10:50 PM
1st trackday I done at Donington in my XE nova was on 16v stuff and by the end of the 1st session the fade was terrible. That was on ferodo pads & black diamond discs I believe. What I did for the next trackday was spend on a top set of pads (demon tweeks recommended choice) then get 2 sets of cheap motor factors discs and change the discs at lunchtime. Got pi$$ed off doing that and brakes still fading so bought some reyland 4 pots and never looked back! Not that great when cold but awesome when warmed up. Shed speed off my turbo one very quickly and never faded.

My plan as said is 4 pots front & rear now but thats because I'll have a lot more weight at the back.

Stuart
29-07-09, 10:54 PM
sure it was fade and not boiled fluid lol

have a ready of the braking article I wrote for some ideas of braking improvements without going mental