PDA

View Full Version : 16se head will it fit?

comptoncj
27-07-09, 09:28 PM
i have a 1300 block thats going to be bored out to 1400cc, i also have a head thats been ported and has modified valves in it off of a c16se, will it fit on the 1300 block? im going to run a kent ast2 with it, any ideas ???

Stuart
27-07-09, 10:05 PM
yes, but what intake system are you using?
and measure the compression ratio to ensure you dont drop it

comptoncj
27-07-09, 10:19 PM
im using 40dcoes and ok im guessing i should just bolt the head on and put belt on it and see if it turns over and doesnt lock up

Stuart
27-07-09, 10:21 PM
and what will that achieve? did you not read about the compression ratio bit?

have you got the T40's intake manifold yet? if not then you NEED one for a 1.4SRI or 1.6 GTE/GSI engine. Otherwise sell whatever one you have now and buy the right one

comptoncj
27-07-09, 10:31 PM
shouldnt affect compression ratio tho should it? i might not bother if its gonna be a big effort and well ive got one for a 1300 8v for the webers its just a case that the heads there so i thought i might try it as its aparently a better designed head than the 1300 one

Stuart
27-07-09, 10:40 PM
I would say read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_ratio but its a bit too deep for your needs.

basically the 1.6 head will have a bigger volume, meaning there is a chance that the CR will drop... dropped CR = lost power on an N/A. Its not hard to fix as a skim will sort that out once you have worked out what needs taking off.

sell the 1.3 inlet and buy a 1.6 one, WIN

comptoncj
27-07-09, 10:45 PM
i know about compression ratio mate im a mechanic, well this head is skimmed loads anyway so i would think it will be ok, and i think the 1300 inlet will work as my uncle uses an irmscher inlet off a sport on his 1600 race car

Stuart
27-07-09, 10:47 PM
well you know best, off you pop then.......:wall:

atleast measure the CR and find out what it will be, its only a 5min job

chances are his 1.3 inlet is ported, but for the faff its just as easy to get the right one and sell the wrong one

comptoncj
27-07-09, 10:50 PM
thanks for your advice i will measure the cr and check might as well do the job properly so its done right, the ast2 cam should work in the 1600 head though right? as its a 1300 cam?

Stuart
27-07-09, 10:51 PM
no, it will shread the engine.....

pretty much all 8V OHC nova engines can share cams fine.

comptoncj
27-07-09, 10:51 PM
ok thanks

_JH_
28-07-09, 01:15 AM
...well this head is skimmed loads anyway so i would think it will be ok...

Forgive me being blunt, but that way of thinking is a sure way to smash up all those nice, expensively machined parts you've discussed.

I wish you all the best with it, but to save any upset maybe you should read a good book on race engine building before you start. There's too much "I think" not enough "according to my calculations" etc

good luck :)

Stuart
28-07-09, 09:27 AM
Forgive me being blunt, but that way of thinking is a sure way to smash up all those nice, expensively machined parts you've discussed.

I wish you all the best with it, but to save any upset maybe you should read a good book on race engine building before you start. There's too much "I think" not enough "according to my calculations" etc

good luck :)

agreed, just because you are a mechanic (although that term is a bit vauge these days) dosent mean you know what you are bolting together is correct

comptoncj
28-07-09, 08:32 PM
im taking in all you guys are saying but its just trial and error and a learning curve, i think it takes the fun out of it to get someone to build you a s**t hot engine because you've learned nothing by doing this, il keep you posted how the build goes and at the end of it you can say i told you so if it doesnt work or the car blows up hehe

fennah
29-07-09, 04:09 PM
just check the shape of the inlet ports matches on the head and the manafold , seem to remember there is a change of shape on some models square / rounded etc

mowgli
29-07-09, 08:57 PM
measuring the compression ratio is actually a good challenge. you get a bit of perspex & drill enough holes to get it bolted to one cylinder, and 2 more holes near the middle. then using a decent syringe, slowly measure cooking oil into the head, then fit up a new piston with rings & do the same for the cylinder at tdc. now measure the thickness of the old head gasket, then report back & we'll help you with the cr.

Stuart
29-07-09, 09:04 PM
sig link calculator ;)

S1M0N
31-07-09, 10:55 AM
My mate either put a 1600 head on 1400 bottom end or 1400 head on 1600 bottom end and the valves hit the pistons, ended up putting two head gaskets and retarding it a tooth and i went like fuk with a kent cam and 4 branch, didnt last long tho... about a month i think!