PDA

View Full Version : Wont start , have to leave it 10 mins or bump it

boardmonkey
27-07-09, 09:39 AM
Hi,

Nova 1.6 GSi, K plate.

Have an intermittent issue with the car not starting, its really odd. We can drive down to the shops, stop and then the car wont start again. If it doesnt start straight away we have to leave it for at least 10 mins before trying to turn it over again. Sometimes up to 30 mins. It can happen maybe once or twice a month.

The car was in storage for 2 years before we got the car...

I suspected blocked fuel lines, gunked up injectors etc but have cleaned the injectors, oil change, new plugs, new filter...

Anyone got any bright ideas or pointers ? Cheers...

Mazz
27-07-09, 10:13 AM
Mine GTE had a similar problem, it would start - but occasionally it would just turn over. After changing most of the ignition system it turned out that the fuel pump connections had corroded and weren't make a good contact..

pikey1986
27-07-09, 10:16 AM
sounds like a problem i recently had, i had to have the wire that runs from the relay to the pump replaced and its not happened since

boardmonkey
28-07-09, 10:41 AM
Hello Gents -
Cheers...will check this out. Have just purchased a Haynes manual from fleabay for a 5.00...

Rgds, Richard

fennah
29-07-09, 03:35 PM
does the car turn over ? if so is the cold start valve sticking on and causing flooding when engine warm ?
if it doesnt turn over when trying to start id get some one in the car turning key then whilst they have key turned on try going over as much of the loom shaking it to try find any loose conectinos , also check the black cap behind the ignition barrel , ive heard of them burning inside and causing probs or just being worn of loose fit

fennah
29-07-09, 03:56 PM
just thought of couple more checks to make , check for good conection / wire condition of the thin wire that goes to the starter motor on either a spade or ring conection this is the wire to tell starter to work , also ive had problems in the past with bad earth connection 2 places to check ( even if they do seem tight you will need to slacken and retighten as this can still be fault even when they seem tight ) the earth battery lead were it attaches to bulk head with 13mm bolt , and also the earth strap from the ns chassis leg ( below coil location , ) to the gear box side caseing (accessed through the n/s wheel arch ,, usually its the contact from gear box that it dodgy so crack off and retighten incase alloy is giving poor conection