PDA

View Full Version : Brake Servo & Seals

dikharvey
21-02-03, 09:29 AM
I have a 1985 Nova. The brake servo seal split about 3 months ago. I thought that was fair enough, its old what the hell. Replaced it with a servo off an SR about 2 years newer. That seal broke aswell, then another one from a scrappy that has just broken aswell. That is about three is as many months. I cant afford a new one (Cost more than the value of the car!). Any Suggestions? Also the seal that connects the vacuum pipe to the servo has snapped four time and three of them were brand new from vauxhall, they cost 3.75 a go and i dont want to have to buy a new one every month! I dont understand? Does anyone?

mowgli
21-02-03, 06:48 PM
I don't want to upset you, but do you mean the servo, ie the big round thing that has vacuum or the master cylinder, which is bolted to it????

if you are having problems with the vacuum seal, try coating it in washing up liquid before fitting, cos it is a brilliant rubber lubricant.

if the servo is at fault, simply block off the vac. pipe and keep going, it will take more effort, but the brakes will work.

Euan
21-02-03, 06:56 PM
is the vacum pipe the one thats connected to the inlet manifold.

if u block this the brakes will work??

dikharvey
21-02-03, 11:43 PM
if you block that pipe the brakes will work but they will not be servo assisted, hard to use. I am having problems with the sealt hat conect that pipe to the servo and also the seal inside the servo.

Euan
22-02-03, 12:46 AM
my servo isnt workin either. u can here the air escaping and the brakes are pretty pathetic!

mark_GSi
02-03-03, 05:54 PM
ive heard that that pipe also controls how your car idle's as well, dont know if this is true??

read it sum where