PDA

View Full Version : cheap broadband? does it exist

Stuart
25-07-09, 10:59 PM
Right fed up of Sky (tv, BB, calls for £37 a month), so will get a freesat HD recorder setup as it costs less than 12 months of pikey spec Sky HD lol

So need broadband, I'd like it to cost £10 a month if possible. All I need is upto 4Meg since thats all this line can do, and about 5Gig utter uber max a month of D/L (more like 1GB in reality)

Shouldnt mind me hosting a very very very low bandwidth site at home either.

Any ideas?

Welsh Dan
25-07-09, 11:07 PM
If you have an O2 phone then they do their broadband half price..

Stuart
25-07-09, 11:11 PM
ohhh Their cheapest is £12 for non O2 or £7 for O2 users..... The other half has an O2 simplicity deal, WIN. Even without the deal that looks ace.

Mazz
26-07-09, 09:28 AM
PlusNet do 10gig download / upto 8meg BB for £5.99 depending on where you are...

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/res_broadband_faq.shtml#market3

Go here : http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Put your phone number in and see what 'market' you are.
I'm 3 so cheaper rates :)

Code: WMSPA County: Staffordshire Enabled: 09 Jul 2001 Market: 3

saloon3
26-07-09, 11:08 AM
Orange... dolphin tarrif... £30/month ..new phone,600mins,unlimited texts,free 2 meg broadband and wireles livebox...i've just reduced my tarrif to £14 quid a month 100mins and unlimited texts and still have free bb..

General Baxter
26-07-09, 11:10 AM
i pay **** all for mine
allways connets at 8mbps,

its connected 24/7 allways downloading and playing online games,

never had a problem

comes free with a £7.99 a month phone line lol

Tidy Max
26-07-09, 01:05 PM
i pay **** all for mine
allways connets at 8mbps,

its connected 24/7 allways downloading and playing online games,

never had a problem

comes free with a £7.99 a month phone line lol

who is that with then?

Lauren
26-07-09, 01:10 PM
A lot of people don't like tiscali but we had them before and they were fine, 8mb broadband for £7.50 a month, unlimted downloads.

General Baxter
26-07-09, 01:16 PM
talk talk mines with,

free calls from 5pm to 7am, free all weekend, free talk talk to talk talk calls,

my sister live on the phone, bill come in at £15 max a month lol

Jack
26-07-09, 01:38 PM
What LLU suppliers do you have in the area?

My dad gets Orange free with his phone, they're Ok but he's not exactly a heavy user. BT are fairly cheap if you have BT landline, but they throttle heavy usage and unless you get a business connection I have a feeling they block certain ports.

I like ADSL24 in that they don't block ports, you get shedloads of bandwidth and their web hosting gubbins are top notch; but we all know the sh!t I've been having with my connection speed. I do have a shonky line though, so they may be better for you - plus they're only a 1 month rolling contract so if you do decide to leave its pretty quick and easy.

AlexW
26-07-09, 02:35 PM
Orange are brillant from my experiance, had it with them last year and used to (and still do) play online games without much ping. If i ever had a problem with it cutting out or being slow, one phone call and it was back to being fast and stable. I had it free too.

Im now with talktalk and its preety good, never seems to be slow so im happy.

Tidy Max
26-07-09, 02:55 PM
i do believe its called lag sir,

im on sky BB and its poo, but i live about 4 (4.2) miles away from the exchange, and my attenuation figures etc are pretty bad, so even though im on 8mb (maybe 16 actually) im only capable of seeing speeds of 2mb tops!

luckily im moving house soon, and i will be under a mile away from mine, yeah baby :)

Stuart
27-07-09, 09:14 AM
hmmmmm talk talk do Bb and phone inc caller ID for £17 a month, bargin! where as BT want an extra £5 for caller ID, feckers.
but the talk talk router looks utterly shoite.

looks like O2 ftw

joeSRI
28-07-09, 05:26 PM
o2 are good mate, never had any problems with it. I get the deal cos i have a contract phone with them so its £7.50 p/m

Stuart
28-07-09, 09:42 PM
£7.34 a month, free for 2 months. WIN :D thank you o2

Jim
29-07-09, 09:09 AM
Is that just for the internet Stuart? I too am looking to ditch sky bb/phone/tv when we move.

Stuart
29-07-09, 09:51 AM
yeah tinternets only.

We are going to get a freesat HD pvr in a months time so that will also ditch the sky tv charge too.
As we never use the landline to make calls it isnt a problem about not having a cal plan for that

Jim
29-07-09, 10:29 AM
The O2 deal looks tempting as Jo has an O2 contract, however we need a landline really. I may look at talktalk. I was with them a few years ago, was happy with the service and cost, but at the the time, the sky all in one deal worked out slightly cheaper.

Welsh Dan
29-07-09, 11:47 AM
We get reports of talktalk service and customer service being ****e all of the time at work Jim.

Mike
29-07-09, 12:40 PM
Jesus your all tech no geeks aint ya!!

I pay £14 a month now for 4mb net, landline phone & Virgin TV package bollox. Is this good? Or have i been shafted the last 2 years?

Stuart
29-07-09, 12:57 PM
mike, you have been shafted by NTL (oops vergin).... although thats a reasonable price imo lol

Jim, I have a landline too, I'm not using gay 3G dongles like limpy lee. Having been badgerd by talk talk after putting the home number in to see what products they offer, they can FRO.

Mike
29-07-09, 12:59 PM
mike, you have been shafted by NTL (oops vergin).... although thats a reasonable price imo lol.

Bugger, well i though it was a good price, altho it used to be £12 a month for the lot.

I think its a decent price so meh.

Stuart
29-07-09, 01:02 PM
its a good price, just the company are a bunch o cnuts being NTL (dont care how they rebranded it lol)

Mike
29-07-09, 01:05 PM
Oh thats alright then lol heck i even got free installation (installation here was a ball ache lol they had to dig out a 25ft long trench)

Stuart
05-08-09, 10:44 PM
all connected tonight, not a bad turn around.

only let down is the toss wifi from the router + it runs silly bastid hot!!!! Will have to call up and get a new box me thinks

Adam
05-08-09, 10:57 PM
Do you get the router free with it??

And yes dongle mobile internet is the biggest pile of w4nk ever invented.

Stuart
05-08-09, 10:57 PM
its NORMAL broadband, no dongles.

the router was free yes (apparently I have to give it back at the end of the 12 months.... **** em)

Adam
05-08-09, 11:01 PM
Yes, i was just giving my opinion on dongle broadband after you commented on Lee's 3g :p
Mobile is what im currently using, waste of time. Slow as a cvh fiesta, it pixelates pics to make them load quicker, and you cant use P2P/Torrent networks.

Jack
05-08-09, 11:25 PM
it pixelates pics to make them load quicker
That'll be a browser setting, not net connection

ade
06-08-09, 12:40 AM
fastest broadband you'll get is through cable. I'm with BT - and theyre SH!TE!

I'm brobably 10 miles from the centre of the City of Stirling - one of Scotlands major cities and I pay fopr business broadband (wife works from home) - supposed to be 8mg - lucky if I get 1mg at the moment.

Billing pics - 300 pics 1024x768 - should take 10 mins to upload - took 9 hours!

:mad:

CoolTiger
06-08-09, 01:23 AM
i do believe its called lag sir,

im on sky BB and its poo, but i live about 4 (4.2) miles away from the exchange, and my attenuation figures etc are pretty bad, so even though im on 8mb (maybe 16 actually) im only capable of seeing speeds of 2mb tops!

luckily im moving house soon, and i will be under a mile away from mine, yeah baby :)

lag is measured by ur ping is it not ? so both right

Jack
06-08-09, 07:44 AM
fastest broadband you'll get is through fibre.
:d

My ip profile is up to 4500k at the mo but my ISP still have me stuck on a 1000k sync. Fcukers

Stuart
06-08-09, 08:53 AM
well the plus side is that I have gained 1.5meg in connection speed as its adsl2/+ or whatever the geek term is lol.

having had a read about it turns out the o2 wireless box does sometimes crap out when hot. Phone call to them later for a new box me thinks