PDA

View Full Version : ' proppah ' cambelt alignment

jimbob-mcgrew
25-07-09, 12:28 PM
for correct timing, does the crank have to be 'AT' tdc or 10 degrees before ?

and just to make sure im half on the right track... TDC means the very peak of the pistons reach right ? now is it its peak on the upstroke, or its peak on the down, or the point right inbetween both where its at that point of inertia not mooving.

doesnt say didly in the haynes manual about setting a belt, prety much says: " yeh, spark up a fag and have a coffee, take the belt off.. slap a new'un on, and roberts yer fathers brother ! "

how many teeth out on the belt can a carb car run ?

Welsh Dan
25-07-09, 02:01 PM
The crank has to be AT the timing mark.

No teeth out is how many out a carb car can run.

TDC means piston 1 is at its absolute highest point.

djshaggeh
26-07-09, 01:10 AM
*jimbob* - sooo... where is the crank supposed to be for timing up the belt, as the marker on the crank pulley is at 10 degrees before TDC, another cm clockwise is TDC, unless my pulley is wrongly marked ?

wish i had like £500 and could just put the fcuker into a garage and just say "sort the fcuking thing out please, its driving me nuts" *ching ching*

edit : i suppose i could just slip it another tooth and see what its like, its pinking at mid to high revs at the mo, under load that is, tried a colourtune sparkplug on it too, and couldnt get a propper reading from it, not even with the mixture screw unwound as far as it would go, maybe ive got a problem carbside with feeding the fuel ?

Welsh Dan
26-07-09, 08:12 AM
djshaggeh, have you adjusted the dizzy timing?

djshaggeh
26-07-09, 01:51 PM
Sorry bit confusing, Jimbob was round here last night and posted this message on my account.

have you adjusted the dizzy timing?

I believe he has though and iirc he said that the engine speed changes but it doesnt stop his pinking, just moves it up and down the rev range.

jimbob-mcgrew
26-07-09, 02:01 PM
useless me mooving the dizzy tho dan, as i dont know where the cambelts supposed to be at, does no one on here know whether its supposed to be on TDC or the 10 degrees BTDC marker.

Welsh Dan
26-07-09, 03:05 PM
When I did my cambelt I lined both pulleys up with the timing marks. That was a 1.2 carb unit.

mowgli
26-07-09, 04:28 PM
what engine? cos if it is a 1200 or 1300 with a delco dizzy, then the advance/retard is probably knackered, causing bad ign timing.

djshaggeh
26-07-09, 05:58 PM
its 16sv

jimbob-mcgrew
26-07-09, 09:38 PM
with a 1.4sr ignition system on it :tard: