PDA

View Full Version : **How to remove steering wheel**URGENT

021-bennettt
24-07-09, 03:52 PM
Basically i want to know how to remove the Nova steering wheel and i have work at 5...:(

stevie-p
24-07-09, 03:53 PM
you need a steering wheel tool/puller i beleive

Lee
24-07-09, 03:54 PM
Either get the proper tool (which probably wont happen before 5 lol), or beat the crap out of it im afraid.

Best way is with two people. One of you needs to pull on the wheel, the other needs to hit the column. Make sure the nut is on a few turns so niether of you gets a wheel in the face, and make sure you hit the column itself, not the nut or you will strip the threads. Use an old socket extension or something like that.

And beware of collapsinfg the column further down as well.

021-bennettt
24-07-09, 03:59 PM
I bet i will forget to put the nut on lol Im gna go out now so and get it off so i can put on my shiny new OMP...oh and ill get some pics up when its on:)

burgo
24-07-09, 04:43 PM
why dont you just wait until youve got more time?? or does that makes sence

Leeboo
24-07-09, 05:16 PM
Bate the steering wheel from the back on both sides with a mallet ;)

Jeff16v
25-07-09, 09:30 AM
i smacked mine on the front with a club hammer on both sides just to brake the grip and squireted wd40 down the thread, then ragged has hard as i could, nearly knocked myself out when the bastid come offlol

loggyboy
25-07-09, 09:38 AM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114852

021-bennettt
25-07-09, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the linky :)

jimbob-mcgrew
25-07-09, 12:10 PM
i smacked mine on the front with a club hammer on both sides just to brake the grip and squireted wd40 down the thread, then ragged has hard as i could, nearly knocked myself out when the bastid come offlol

^ heheheh lol

Jack
25-07-09, 12:59 PM
Get Ernie. Mine was welded on with pixies dust and he managed to get it off. Mind you I think my column is about 2" shorter than it used to be lol

novaguy08
25-07-09, 01:42 PM
Last time I had to pull a steering wheel (3 spoke one out of a scrappie nova) I undid the nut, feet on dash and pulled like fook! come off ok, but when it come time to get my novas one out I had to get a puller as I pulled so hard I bent the std one quite a bit!

021-bennettt
25-07-09, 09:41 PM
Thes stories are fukkin brilliant lollol didn't expect this at all:)

mowgli
25-07-09, 09:51 PM
Thes stories are fukkin brilliant lollol didn't expect this at all:)

but did you get the wheel off though????

Nobby
25-07-09, 09:54 PM
ohhh the fun!!!! we did my brothers sr rep in not time when both of us did it.

Bit of wd40 down the splines, nut on a few turns, he pulled on the wheel and i wacked the back of the wheel with a hammer hitting a block of wood came of after about 10 good hits!! :D remember to try and line the wheels up before you put the new 1 on. Best way probably not the best but drive up the road in a straight line pop the wheel off and put it back on so its in the centre nut on job done hehe!!

MK999
25-07-09, 09:55 PM
Never forget a mate taking one out of an astra without the nut on, both feet on the dash, flew backwards into the back seats and shouted something along the lines of man down.

Edit: was a ragtop, hence being able to fly over the front seat ;p

Tidy Max
26-07-09, 04:06 PM
i struggled like hell with mine, had the interior out and two of us in the car ragging it like mad, for the first 3 hours i was worried about the steering column but then started to lose my rag, couldnt for the life of me remove it,#

then someone on here said just get your knees underneath the bottom of the wheel and your hands on top and rock it back and forth,

tried it with WAY too much force for a first attempt and flew into the boot and whacked my head steering wheel in hand lol

mowgli
26-07-09, 04:23 PM
when will these people learn........£12 versus mechanical & physical damage, but at least it was funny........