PDA

View Full Version : Mot

NovaBoi92
23-07-09, 11:15 PM
well if anybody saw my other MOT thread, i said about my fog lights not working. the day i was planning to sort it all out, my mum woke me up in the morning and told me she booked up the mot for today (wednesday) so get out of bed lol so no time to sort the fog lights out. So obviously it failed, (i knew it would on at least 1 thing other than fog lights lol) so the list of things was quite short compared to what i was expecting it to be considering the work ive done to it - Fog light switch wasnt lighting up, rear fog lamp not working, and i need a small plate welded on the o/s/f inner arch. ******* started poking it with a screwdriver :( so im getting the welding done tomorrow, and ive sorted the fog lights. i first checked all the fuses, replaced the switch, and no luck. then the bulb, nothing. all wiring seemed fine. but then i thought that maybe there might not be a fuse for it in the fuse box, so got the haynes out and would you look at that, i was missing a 15 amp fuse! lol so got that in, and everything works. re-mot'ing it again tomorrow for free so it will pass with flying colours now! im happy lol

Welshy
23-07-09, 11:16 PM
good man!!! on the road soon kida!

NovaBoi92
23-07-09, 11:17 PM
yeah, taking my theory soon and my driving instructor thinks im ready for my test, only had 9 lessons :)

Welshy
23-07-09, 11:20 PM
yeah, taking my theory soon and my driving instructor thinks im ready for my test, only had 9 lessons :)
i had 10 lessons and passed theory and practical first time so its a good sign mate :thumb:

NovaBoi92
23-07-09, 11:22 PM
aah well done lol, quite easy tbh isnt it, just got to remember all those gay mirror checks lol every 6 seconds, before you brake, before you turn, change of speed etc etc etc etc :) :roll:

Tim-SR
23-07-09, 11:23 PM
glad yours will pass mate, mine had it's mot on tuesday and failed epicaly lol

Welshy
23-07-09, 11:23 PM
yep too true, i didnt do the new thory aswell, i did the old 35 question thingy so revise boyo

7ova
23-07-09, 11:24 PM
well done mate :thumb:

NovaBoi92
23-07-09, 11:26 PM
well done mate :thumb:

cheers :)

and what did it fail on? if the list isnt too long lol

Tim-SR
23-07-09, 11:29 PM
meh its not massive, 6 things lol

headlights too high
exhaust too loud? (eventhough they didnt have a print out or a DB meter to test it)
wheel bearing
hazard switch not working (when it does)
hazard tell tale warning light not working???
needs welding aswell lol

NovaBoi92
23-07-09, 11:31 PM
so get all the bits done then mate! lol and you will have a cracking nova :) the mot tester blokes commented on the condition of my nova saying that its rare to find them like this, and that he had an astra that.. so i stopped listening

7ova
23-07-09, 11:32 PM
tim-sr
thats not to bad, could have been worse!

Tim-SR
23-07-09, 11:33 PM
i dont think they like me or my car i think thats why they were being picky with it, ive had to put a standard exhaust on it now for two reasons, mother and father think its too loud and think it wides the neighbours up (im sure they love it really), and because they want me to do the whole scrappage scheme thing with it lol

7ova: it isnt that bad i know, just a faf getting it all sorted befor i go away and befor the current mot runs out and befor the 10 day free retest thing runs out.

NovaBoi92
23-07-09, 11:35 PM
lol i think the testers that done my car were being lenient (spelling? lol) as when they done the emissions test, it went all the way up to 4000 in the red, and they just clicked pass lol

7ova
23-07-09, 11:35 PM
i dont think they like me or my car i think thats why they were being picky with it, ive had to put a standard exhaust on it now for two reasons, mother and father think its too loud and think it wides the neighbours up (im sure they love it really), and because they want me to do the whole scrappage scheme thing with it lol

move out mate, who needs parents lol

Tim-SR
23-07-09, 11:39 PM
move out mate, who needs parents lol

hmm lol i want a lock up so i can store it in there and get a run about whilst i fix it up, i live on a tiny street so its a bit hard to store cars because we have 4 cars already lol

and yeah nova boy thats very lenient i need to find a crooked MOT tester lol

dj_wudgey
23-07-09, 11:41 PM

lol whats up with it tim??

7ova
23-07-09, 11:44 PM
hmm lol i want a lock up so i can store it in there and get a run about whilst i fix it up, i live on a tiny street so its a bit hard to store cars because we have 4 cars already lol

and yeah nova boy thats very lenient i need to find a crooked MOT tester lol

i'm a mot tester lol

Tim-SR
23-07-09, 11:47 PM
you dont live far from me eather :) when can i book it in lol

wudgey ive posted it all up there mate ^^^ :thumb:

dj_wudgey
23-07-09, 11:48 PM
meh its not massive, 6 things lol

headlights too high
exhaust too loud? (eventhough they didnt have a print out or a DB meter to test it)
wheel bearing
hazard switch not working (when it does)
hazard tell tale warning light not working???
needs welding aswell lol

take it some where else mate they may not fail the exhaust worth a shot!!

napalm_27
23-07-09, 11:48 PM
lol i think the testers that done my car were being lenient (spelling? lol) as when they done the emissions test, it went all the way up to 4000 in the red, and they just clicked pass lol

they cant just click pass on it
they have to give it time to settle and stuff so its a accurate reading
when i get mine mot'd i pin the limiter for a minute or two to heat the exhaust/cat up so the emissions drop

Tim-SR
23-07-09, 11:49 PM
take it some where else mate they may not fail the exhaust worth a shot!!

it kind of pissed me off because they didnt have a machine or anything to read how loud it was so technically can they fail it if they havn't measured it against the legal limit?

NovaBoi92
23-07-09, 11:50 PM
they cant just click pass on it
they have to give it time to settle and stuff so its a accurate reading
when i get mine mot'd i pin the limiter for a minute or two to heat the exhaust/cat up so the emissions drop

well they didnt literall click pass lol they passed it though, even said on the screen that it has failed the emissions test. bloke must like me lol

NovaBoi92
23-07-09, 11:51 PM
it kind of pissed me off because they didnt have a machine or anything to read how loud it was so technically can they fail it if they havn't measured it against the legal limit?

nope they cant. go back and get them to test it properly. if it passes, thats one thing off your list!

napalm_27
23-07-09, 11:52 PM
nope they cant. go back and get them to test it properly. if it passes, thats one thing off your list!

its the decression of the tester actually dont need a dB meter

Tim-SR
23-07-09, 11:52 PM
didnt think so, i said to the guy have you got a print out of what it is and what it should be and he said no, we havnt got that piece of equipment, i just said, well how can you fail it because you havnt tested it properly. he just said you can tell its too loud by ear.

EDIT: ok napalm i wasnt too sure how the whole loudness thing worked.

NovaBoi92
23-07-09, 11:54 PM
its the decression of the tester actually dont need a dB meter

:thumb:

7ova
23-07-09, 11:56 PM
[quote=Tim-SR]didnt think so, i said to the guy have you got a print out of what it is and what it should be and he said no, we havnt got that piece of equipment, i just said, well how can you fail it because you havnt tested it properly. he just said you can tell its too loud by ear.

if he cant test it properly at the most it should have been a pass
and advisory note

napalm_27
23-07-09, 11:58 PM
worked in garages for years and always been very keen to learn the testers side of the trade but never actually got off my ass and done anythink about it its handy to now as a mechanic aswell as you dont have to keep asking the tester what will need doing for the mot etc