PDA

View Full Version : What's the best idea?

D7AKE
23-07-09, 02:08 PM
I have a 1.4 bottom end, I could either rebuild this, having 1mm overbore new pistons lightened and balanced and its going to cost me in the region of £1000

Alternativley I could buy another engine....

any thoughts?

Si :thumb:

Ben
23-07-09, 02:14 PM
What do you want?

Iirc your car is set up for trackdays etc? Do you want to go bigblock? stick with the 8v? where you going with the car?

D7AKE
23-07-09, 03:01 PM
What do you want?

Iirc your car is set up for trackdays etc? Do you want to go bigblock? stick with the 8v? where you going with the car?

Sorry should have given you some background,

For those unaware, I have a Nova Sport, 1.3 bottom end with a B head and Kent Cam, on twin 40's.

I use it for track days mostly, so I have a 1.4 engine to rebuild, will keep the 1.3 engine and rebuild that as well at some point.

Was going to take the 1.4 lump, have all the work done it will cost me £1000 to have it built with 1mm overbore and Marle pistons, but could have race pistons for another £200 so £1200 total.

Alternativley buy a recon standard bottom end for about £600 and use that.

Any thoughts now?

:thumb:

Will F
23-07-09, 03:47 PM
If it were me, I wouldnt go nuts with the bottom end if you wont be revving that much?

Just get a recon bottom end and spend the rest on a decent gearbox/diff.

I had a brand new bottom end built up (GM standard except ARPs) and could rev it to 7750!

;)

craig green
23-07-09, 03:57 PM
If the engine/car is a keeper. Go with rebuild.

If it isnt, a donor GTE/GSi engine might net you 120bhp (with a few mods) for less cash by a long way.

D7AKE
23-07-09, 07:46 PM
If it were me, I wouldnt go nuts with the bottom end if you wont be revving that much?

Just get a recon bottom end and spend the rest on a decent gearbox/diff.

I had a brand new bottom end built up (GM standard except ARPs) and could rev it to 7750!

;)

Nice I have a decent gearbox.... mine reves to 7700 now!

:thumb: