PDA

View Full Version : crap starting when warm

jimbob-mcgrew
22-07-09, 11:25 PM
any ideas ? starts fine from cold, but when warm it doesnt wanna know.
im prety sure its not the choke, it flicks back in quarter segments as it warms up untill its off. runs hot too if thats any further help.

muzzy
22-07-09, 11:58 PM
I had this problem before but with an SPI was the lambda sensor, which is not much help to you lol

G-nova
23-07-09, 12:04 AM
im not a mechanic but i know when an engine warms it can swell so if their is a crack or split anywhere it will open wider when warm thus more problems than when cold like i said im not a mechanic so correct me if im wrong any 1

muzzy
23-07-09, 12:07 AM
Underbonnet tempteratures can cause the fuel to overheat in the carburettor and cause vapour lock but it would have to get seriously warm under there for this to happen.

jimbob-mcgrew
23-07-09, 02:59 AM
one thing ive noticed but overlooked, just thought about... is the throttle adjustment... its not set, its wound back right out about a cm away from the throttle linkage. when ive played with the dizzy before retarding the timing drops the revs to the point of stall, im gonna go with a hunch and screw that idle back in to up the revs, then retard the timing slightly to drop it further, bit by bit on each till its level. i got a feeling the whole starting/running/overheating problems are down to the timing.

one thing ive just noticed as i was in tesco car park, im leaking fuel from the rubber feed hose, i doubt this is anything related to my problems but i dont feel comfortable driving a car thats leaking fuel inches from a red hot 4-branch, accident waiting to happen that, will sort that out first thing in the morning.

G-nova
24-07-09, 12:50 AM
might me temperture sensor m8 if running hot more likley to be head problems

jimbob-mcgrew
24-07-09, 11:31 AM
tis carb, so temp. sensor wont do much. head probs u think poss ?

theres another thing im not sure about... round the back of the block theres a large 2 pin sensor which isnt plugged in, no idea what that is. i thought it might be some sort of crank sensor, but carb cars dont have that sorta thing do they ?