PDA

View Full Version : Painting disributer caps ??

Cle
22-07-09, 03:56 PM
I have seen a few people paint there disributer caps to colour code it with the car, Is there a special paint you need to use ??

michael squeak
23-07-09, 01:49 AM
shouldnt imagine so. they dont get really hot so a normal paint should be ok i imagine

brainsnova
23-07-09, 02:05 AM
plastic primer might go down well.

Plug
23-07-09, 10:01 AM
I was going to say plastic primer is the way to go but i got beat to it lol

Nick J
23-07-09, 06:39 PM
I have seen a few people paint there disributer caps to colour code it with the car, Is there a special paint you need to use ??

No special paint as such, I used a good plastic primer followed by a wet on wet primer surfacer then basecoat and lacqeur. Mines been done a few years now and hasnt flaked on caused any bother. Just make sure you mask the inside and the tips were the leads go on as paint getting in there could cause bother in the future........

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/nj_photo/novawip051.jpg?t=1214776172

Nick.

Benn
23-07-09, 08:06 PM
Mines done the same as Nicks. Just taped the ends of the holes.

Not the best pic tho..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/bennh/Car%20updates/IMG_7723.jpg

MK999
23-07-09, 08:51 PM
holy crap theres dirt on benns car! right click save as! lol

Benn
23-07-09, 09:01 PM
Old build pic....

Southie
23-07-09, 09:37 PM
holy crap theres dirt on benns car! right click save as! lol
If I could rep you I would lol

Benn you scruffy sod you lol

Do you think that coilpacks would be okay to get sprayed aswell?

Benn
24-07-09, 08:15 AM
Cant see why not, just mask off where the connections are.

Some guy did slag my car off at billing for that, theres a chip in the bommtom bolt hole. Say "looks theres a big chip.. the cars ****"

MK999
24-07-09, 11:45 AM
Sounds like a tool :tard: My comment was made purely in jest as your car always seems to look like it's just rolled out of a 3 day detailing session lol

Benn
24-07-09, 08:08 PM
He was, i know you where joking dont worry.
I likes to keep it clean. :)

Brettski
24-07-09, 08:24 PM
He was, i know you where joking dont worry.
I likes to keep it clean. :)

good lad how it should be imo

if your like me ben i like to use my sr as often as poss and its such a nightmare to keep them to i high standard
saw you car at billing an i must say it is awsome a real credit to you well done :thumb:

MK999
24-07-09, 09:34 PM
Just out of interest, how do you keep things like that so clean benn? as even spraying degreaser over my engine and hosing it off doesn't seem to shift most of the crap, whats the secret? Thinking of trying the AG engine cleaner stuff sometime.

I know this is way off topic but the questions been answered already, so why not lol

mowgli
24-07-09, 09:41 PM
degreaser alone rarely works, you need to scrub it with something to loosen it.

MK999
24-07-09, 09:44 PM
I'm guessing benn has some easier way than that though, as I'm sure he doesn't go round the entire engine with cotton buds!

Although... lol

craig green
24-07-09, 09:49 PM
Pactra model RC car paints etch into plastic....

mowgli
24-07-09, 09:53 PM
I'm guessing benn has some easier way than that though, as I'm sure he doesn't go round the entire engine with cotton buds!

Although... lol

just a good rub with a rag loosens the grime once the degreaser has a couple of minutes to work...

Benn
25-07-09, 08:27 AM
Mines an everyday car. Thats why it will never be as clean as i like.

But its just keeping on top of it. A bucket of strong car wash and a mit will get all around a engine bay, screw all the degreaser and stuff. There should be not grease you wanna get off...

Benn
25-07-09, 08:28 AM
good lad how it should be imo

if your like me ben i like to use my sr as often as poss and its such a nightmare to keep them to i high standard
saw you car at billing an i must say it is awsome a real credit to you well done :thumb:

Thank you very much :)

MK999
25-07-09, 02:30 PM
Mines an everyday car. Thats why it will never be as clean as i like.

But its just keeping on top of it. A bucket of strong car wash and a mit will get all around a engine bay, screw all the degreaser and stuff. There should be not grease you wanna get off...

Tell the last owner of my oil pump that lol He didn't like keeping all the screws in it apparently :p I'll have to give it a go at some point, might get a new mitt though, don't fancy using the same one for engine bay as I do the rest of the car, as it's bound to get covered in crap.

Benn
26-07-09, 11:01 AM
Body mit, wheel mit, engine bay mit, guest mit. ;)