PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever tried dying their carpet ????

tay
19-02-03, 07:06 PM
I tried dying my dark grey carpet to black by using some dylon stuff I got from Argos and the bloody stuff didn't do a thing ! anyone ever done this or know where i can get some quality dye from to do this ?

Cheers lads

djp_y2k
19-02-03, 07:16 PM
No I havnt. but if you pull it off and it looks good, can u let me know.

mikeoxford
20-02-03, 12:43 AM
was talking to aragon the other nite, and also my aunty who works in the trade

shes getting me some good die stuff so i can try it on an old carpet set i have

but me and aragorn the other nite said to ourselves they will be made of polyesters and they dont die very well

?Marty?
20-02-03, 01:29 AM
Just use spray-paint.

Tazzy
23-02-03, 02:09 PM
Just use spray-paint.

but then wont the carpet be as hard as plastic?

mikeoxford
23-02-03, 05:35 PM
like i said im looking into it at the moment......... will keep ui posted

?Marty?
24-02-03, 02:36 AM

What does it matter!? You don't drive bare footed do you.

It's all about the look. People fit alloy foot-plates and etc- they're a bit hard aren't they.

mikeoxford
24-02-03, 02:14 PM

What does it matter!? You don't drive bare footed do you.

It's all about the look. People fit alloy foot-plates and etc- they're a bit hard aren't they.

im gonna go the shag pile carpet way - bare foot is in next season apparently :lol: LMFAO

?Marty?
24-02-03, 03:40 PM
U can buy custom t-shirts that have designs actually spray-painted on them. And people wear them on their skin.

What's the problem with spray painting a carpet inside a car. None. Why bother paying ?70, or whatever, for choice of a few colours, when you can just spray paint the whole lot in any colour for a fiver.

Stop pissing about with all this dye stuff. Even if you find some, it has to be washed through and etc. And the carpet is not made out of material that's ideally suited for being dyed like that. You'd need gallons of industrial strength shit.

Use.Spray.Paint.

mikeoxford
24-02-03, 10:54 PM
will it eventually rub off.........?

?Marty?
25-02-03, 12:26 AM
Nah, it shouldn't do.

The carpet would absorb the paint, thus it'd be almost dyed anyway. Though it'd be on the surface too.

wisewood
25-02-03, 10:39 AM
wisewood is not convinced...

Fester
25-02-03, 11:33 AM
same here lets have a look at a newly done one, then the same one after 6 months etc

maybe i can tint my windows on the cheap with some plasti-cote?

wisewood
25-02-03, 11:36 AM
:lol:

?Marty?
25-02-03, 04:38 PM
Don't bother dyeing then.

Just remove the carpet and use it as a template to cut a new one, rather than searching for a choice of , ooh about two extra colours.

wisewood
25-02-03, 04:58 PM
Thats what i suggested to someone recently who was after a red carpet... so he has ventured forth to carpet shops and fuond someone who makes something suitable... and it was only cheap for what he needed too...

dont think he has done it yet though.

mikeoxford
26-02-03, 01:04 AM
maybe i can tint my windows on the cheap with some plasti-cote?

hmmm

a spot of sarcasim i snese there?

could be wrong :lol: u funny bugger!

im stil not convinced on spraying :S still trying dyes!

ade
27-02-03, 12:45 AM
you can if you look hard enuff in a scrappy get black carpets. I did - front and rear for ?10!

Vauxhall do replacement sets for about ?150!

Dye don't work coz polyester dont absorb it (plastic based). Try contacting an upholsterers and see if they can get you some. I asked similar q last year and someone (who trimmed their car in red - forget who now) gave me the name of the carpet material - some kind of poly vynal (think it was freak or fester?) - you mould it using a heat gun (low heat)

Ade