walkersri
20-07-09, 10:47 PM
hi all, i have been told that my tappets have gone, on my 1.6 8v

does anyone know anythink about this?

cost to fix ect.

walkersri

let_nova
20-07-09, 10:52 PM
does it tap all the time? is there enough oil in it?? if there is i would try a service and thicker oil first..

walkersri
20-07-09, 10:58 PM
it tapps like hell, not so bad on tick over but when reving or driving it gets realy load,

mowgli
20-07-09, 11:00 PM
tappets are fairly cheap, but its either a head off, or using a camshaft removal tool, so add £25 for that as well.

you can actually strip down the tappets and clean then up.

walkersri
20-07-09, 11:02 PM
the engine has been sat for awhile so i dont know, not very machanicaly minded, it just sounds bloody awfull as im trying to drive down the street lol

Southie
20-07-09, 11:05 PM
Have you a loss in performance? Have you been revving high? Reason being that I once revved my old sr too high a it snapped a follower which makes a awful tapping noise.

walkersri
20-07-09, 11:11 PM
there is no power loss at all realy, tapping is coming from top of the engine, sounds like its just under the rocker cover, but a little towrds the inlet manifold if that helps

nova_saloon
20-07-09, 11:13 PM
injector clicking, would have to be a loud injector though, Probs tappets not filling up what is your oil pressure like?

Gabbo
20-07-09, 11:47 PM
could be the cam its self as they wear on the 8v engins. what milage has it done??

I have just dont my tappets tonight on my 2.0 8v as mine had a slight tap on idle i bought tappets they were £30 off ebay i think.

I used a cam removal tool that i borrowed. When i had the cam out and looked at the followers they were slightly worn to so i replaced them. (just used second hand ones though) :eek: