PDA

View Full Version : How to start rallying?

DAFTJOHN
20-07-09, 10:03 PM
Howdy,

I'm interested in starting rallying and was going to use a Nova - is there various specs? Like can I go in with a xe'd Nova or do you need to meet certain criteria in relation to brakes, engine and suspension.

If anyone does rallying in the central belt of Scotland and can point me in the right direction that would be spot on.

All I need is a decent Nova shell:thumb:

Mike
20-07-09, 10:05 PM
You need to find out your local car club and join up before you do anything else :thumb:

With an XE Nova youll be competing in 2000cc & upward class, this class includes turbo motors IIRC - Evo's, Cosworth, Impreza's an such like.

Dont try & run before you can walk chap....

let_nova
20-07-09, 10:08 PM
1.3sr here lol

adam c
Maybe try PM greg1.4 on here as im sure he rally's in scotland and he might be able to give you some pointers towards clubs etc.

Also have you got big balls?lol

Mike
1.3sr here lol

Ideal starter car IMHO.

let_nova
20-07-09, 10:09 PM
piper cam,vernier,twin40s..... could you use that ?? or does it have to be standard spec??

Mike
20-07-09, 10:10 PM

You dont need big balls lol

Heck i was in some mahooosive accidents & loved it :) could just be me tho but i thourougly enjoy high speed impacts :)

DAFTJOHN
20-07-09, 10:10 PM
ha ha I think a decent carbed 1.4 would be a good start considering I've never driven gravel at speed - prob cheaper too. Prob best to start with a basic shell and write a few off before getting serious then (",)

Mike
20-07-09, 10:12 PM
piper cam,vernier,twin40s..... could you use that ?? or does it have to be standard spec??

This is why he needs to join a club, look at the types of events avaliable to him (within entry fee range & relative competive'ness with regards to other vehicles/drivers) & spec a car to suit.

You dont built a car then try & enter any old event lol lol theres rules & regs you know, an mostly differ between the variants of rally events!

DAFTJOHN
20-07-09, 10:12 PM
Maybe try PM greg1.4 on here as im sure he rally's in scotland and he might be able to give you some pointers towards clubs etc.

ha ha aye I'll give it a shot, it's all about no fear eh:eek:

Mike
20-07-09, 10:13 PM
it's all about no fear eh:eek:

is it fcuk lol being a nutty @unt will help tho.

DAFTJOHN
20-07-09, 10:14 PM
1.3sr here lol

Here that's a good shout, patch it up - good engine and a wee paint job and it's go go go:d

Mull rally 2010!!!

let_nova
ok thanks. i did want to start rallying but were i stay im limited. ive been to knockhill a couple of times and an event near me and got 2 medals. it sucks staying on the west coast.

DAFTJOHN
Here they don't call me Daft John for nothing lol

Mike
20-07-09, 10:16 PM
Here they don't call me Daft John for nothing lol

Hmmmm.

DAFTJOHN
20-07-09, 10:16 PM
ok thanks. i did want to start rallying but were i stay im limited. ive been to knockhill a couple of times and an event near me and got 2 medals. it sucks staying on the west coast.

bit of illegal rallying round your way:thumb:

c20 nva
20-07-09, 10:22 PM
Here they don't call me Daft John for nothing loland he is not kidding lol

DaftJohns_Mate
20-07-09, 10:27 PM
and he is not kidding lol

2nd'd!

Wullie.

let_nova
20-07-09, 10:28 PM
3rd'd no illegal rallying round here..........................................lol

you have seen the roads....

greg1.4
john, i have pm'd you with some info..

let me know if you want some more, more than happy to help..fairly local too!

DaftJohns_Mate
Howdy,

I'm interested in starting rallying and was going to use a Nova - is there various specs? Like can I go in with a xe'd Nova or do you need to meet certain criteria in relation to brakes, engine and suspension.

If anyone does rallying in the central belt of Scotland and can point me in the right direction that would be spot on.

All I need is a decent Nova shell:thumb:

Looking for a FAT co driver? or a human STARTER motor? hehe

I'm yur man!

Wullie.

c20 nva
you will have to push it everywhere

let_nova
20-07-09, 10:30 PM
its fixed lol

DaftJohns_Mate
20-07-09, 10:30 PM
you will have to push it everywhere

I kinda figured that one out!

But then you came along and eased my suffering! for that i must owe you at least 1 bump! hehe.:thumb:

Wullie.

stark
20-07-09, 10:41 PM
As posted above, the 1300 SR is probably the cheapest to start with or the 1400 SRi. (I happen to have a 1400 SRi engine available in Aberdeen...)

Start off with tarmac rallies (see www.strc.co.uk (http://www.strc.co.uk)) to get used to how things work then move into the forests if you want to. Don't initially buy all the bling bits, a good set of Astra 16v brakes a set of Bilstein's and a well maintained car and engine will get you far in Class 1.

Email me at info@starkmotorsport.com if you want pointers - we've been competing in Vauxhall's and Opel's for seven years now.

Southie
20-07-09, 10:50 PM
As said join up with a local club then obviously do your rally licence. If you find a shell that's been already rally prepped make sure it's upto date as regards to the seats and cage as they do have use by dates.

Also a good basis would be a 1.3 or 1.4 even a 1.6, cammed, carbed etc oh and another suggestion would be a decent gearbox will definatley help i.e quaife.

kenny_afh
20-07-09, 11:05 PM
As said join up with a local club then obviously do your rally licence. If you find a shell that's been already rally prepped make sure it's upto date as regards to the seats and cage as they do have use by dates.

Also a good basis would be a 1.3 or 1.4 even a 1.6, cammed, carbed etc oh and another suggestion would be a decent gearbox will definatley help i.e quaife.

just to clarify this one, the seats dont technically have to be in date yet so long as the car was logbooked before 31dec 08 (fine if youre buying a car thats been about a bit) your harnesses however need to be in date regardless.

cages dont have to be in date, but they do have to conform to the type options in the blue book (motorsports rule book that you get when you obtain a license) generally speaking most cages you will buy should be fine but get the best you can afford. it might well save your ass one day.

Jonezy
21-07-09, 12:15 AM
A good site to sign up to is.. www.britshrally.co.uk (http://www.britshrally.co.uk) . Like people have said, Join your local motorclub! I say buy a car thats already been built & make sure you get a car with a MSA logbook because it will save you money in the long run. Saves you having to buy the fuel sampler & in date seats till 2012