PDA

View Full Version : buying car without v5

therealnovaboy
20-07-09, 02:59 PM
i was wondering if anyone has done this before and what the implications would be.

Baisicaly i am going to look at a car and if all is well i will buy it and drive it home. the guy is selling the car minus the private reg plate. he has to send the v5 off so that he can get his private plate removed and wil probably not get the v5 back untill a few weeks. he ensures me once he has the v5 he will send it on and that theres not much else you can do other than just trust he will send it. he said he will give me a receipt and will sign anything i wanted.

will this be ok. im not so sure. i would have the car and the keys, and a receipt saying it is sold to me. is this enough to say that the car is legaly mine if anything were to happen ie not send the v5 or for example say i stole the car.

my gut says he guy is genuine but im not prepared to go on gut feelings when money is at stake.

General Baxter
20-07-09, 02:59 PM
im sure its illegal now

+ when he gets the log book back, theres nothing stopping him phoning the police saying its been nicked

therealnovaboy
20-07-09, 03:14 PM
what is illegal? selling a car without a v5?

if i have a receipt signed by him, the car and keys, a copy of the advert on piston heads and a photocopy of the v5, would i have a leg to stand on?

General Baxter
20-07-09, 03:23 PM
none of that tho is a legal document is it ?

therealnovaboy
20-07-09, 03:29 PM
i supose your right.

what could i do then. is my only option to wait until he has the v5 and the new plate.

i think that is the safest option. does anyone know how long this process of swaping reg plates and getting the v5 back would take.

raymond
20-07-09, 04:05 PM
i bought my 306 recently without the log book had no problems at my side he said he hadnt got it back yet but when he gets it back he will fill in my details and re send it off

few weeks later log book arrived on door step no problems

if you decide to buy without the book

make sure you get the bottom green slip of him as you wont have to pay for another if you dont recieve anything

if he wont do that get him to knock another £20 off as thats what it will cost for another

log book isnt proof of ownership of the vehicle anyway

AlexW
20-07-09, 04:33 PM
Log book is £25, ive bought a car without a logbook but wouldnt reccomend it, only time i would do it is when its a mate.

Stuart
20-07-09, 04:50 PM
when I had the ghey plate taken off the VX it took about 2-3weeks all in
Can you not wait 2-3 weeks to be safe?

Jack
20-07-09, 05:40 PM
I can't see anything on the DVLA site that says you cannot sell a vehicle without a V5. I'd not recommend it though.

I bought a car with no V5, but that was going straight to scrap and never back on the road so I didn't care lol

KSRY
20-07-09, 05:58 PM
How olds the car?? My cousin bought a car in a similar situation, the chap he bought it off had had the car since new along with its private plate and therefore the car didn't have its own registration.
My cousin bought it without the V5, but had receipt, green slip, etc and was all legit, but after a week or so, both the previous owners new car and my cousins had the same registration for all of two days, so was slightly illegal.
My cousin then had to have new plates made up once the V5 arrived which took quite a while to arrive, its risky, if you are considering buying it, insist on some more money off to cover, new V5, plates, etcs

bmw156
20-07-09, 06:02 PM
what is illegal? selling a car without a v5?

if i have a receipt signed by him, the car and keys, a copy of the advert on piston heads and a photocopy of the v5, would i have a leg to stand on?

i would think all of that was "legal" enough, forget the copy of the advert lol

if i was a copper i would understand if you produced all that stuff, and his phone number so i could call him up

Nick J
20-07-09, 08:21 PM
Just an idea but why doesnt the guy go to the local P/O who can actually do it there and then? (Select ones only!) It is possible to do so as far as Im aware. I know Leeds and Beverly are our local p/o's that can do this due to my work using them for similar tasks. On the other hand Ive also bought a car without a V5 before but from a friend. He'd actually lost it! I filled in a form and sent it off. They then wrote to him and asked him to confirm owner change. Once he'd replied I was issued with the new one all within 3 weeks. However it something I wouldnt have done If I hadnt known him. Hope this helps.

Nick.

lewisvalver
20-07-09, 11:57 PM
i bought mine without the v5,just got the boy to write out a reciept,sent away for it and 3 weeks later i recieved a new v5.there is genuine sellers out there but theres plenty of horror stories where people have basically been robbed,all depends on how much you want the car and if its worth the risk,and i kept it in a lock up unitl the document arrived,couldnt risk someone coming chapping and claiming to own the car

MK999
21-07-09, 12:01 AM
none of that tho is a legal document is it ?

Neither is the V5, that just says the DVLA owns your car.

therealnovaboy
21-07-09, 09:39 AM
i phoned the dvla last night and the said that if i get a receipt then that is proof that you bought the car. the v5 is proof of registration. it is not illegal to buy a car without a v5 as that is why they provide a form to provide a new v5 with the option to tick "was the car bought without a v5" option. the woman from the dvla (sonia) said that when the owner sends the form away to get the reg swapped, he wil be sent back with the new reg,new tax disk and half the v5 (including green slip, new owners supliment) within 10 days. this green slip is only to avoid paying 26 pounds for a new v5. if the seller does not have the green section then i would have to pay 26 pounds.

baisicaly i have come to the conclusion that if i can convince my self that the guy is not a dodger and the car is not stolen on a vehicle history check then i will go ahed with the sale. the seller has been more than helpful and has all history and receipts from audi included with the car.

i would normaly walk away but i have been looking for this car in the colour and trim for a long time. thanks for your input but thought i would share my findings