PDA

View Full Version : fuel leak

joeSRI
20-07-09, 01:51 PM
I have a fuel leak :mad: I have checked all the pipes and they are bone dry even when running. It happens when i am cornering both left and right so dont think its the syphon ball. It isn't going out of the filler pipe. It really smells so its definately leaking?
Any ideas?

General Baxter
20-07-09, 01:52 PM
breather pipe has gone, or the seal that joins the top to the bottom of the tank

joeSRI
20-07-09, 08:09 PM
how can i fix that then?

joeSRI
20-07-09, 11:09 PM
looks like it is coming from the top of the tank on the nearside? so dont think its the breather or the seal??

skidmarkz
21-07-09, 08:25 AM
run it out of fuel or drain it, take the tank out and have a look,

if your pipes are ok, then all you have left is the connections in the engine bay and the acutal tank?

ant_tay
21-07-09, 01:08 PM
breather pipe has gone, or the seal that joins the top to the bottom of the tank

my money is on what Baxter says i had the same problem and it turned out to be a split in the breather pipe (which i still aint got round to fixing 4 months down the line)

Guderian
21-07-09, 05:22 PM
Two breather hoses on the offside, large bore for air return and small bore breather (to atmosphere.) Might have corroded at the seam as said before.

What's that company that does OEM(ish) fuel tanks... Heritage? Got a cav one for just over £100 a few years ago.

joeSRI
24-07-09, 05:18 PM
right got the tank off and all looks ok? there doesn't seem to be any leaks from the seam and the breathers are ok???????

Guderian
24-07-09, 05:28 PM
maybe stick a small amount of paraffin in and swill it around and look for weeps (expecially at the flange seam)

The hoses, incidentally can look OK but still be perished; you don't always see the cracks until you twist and bend the hose

joeSRI
24-07-09, 05:38 PM
there is still a bit of petrol in it and i have swilled it, turned it upside down, on its side and no leaks. i will replace the hoses and put it all back together again. what a ball ache just to get the tank out though!