PDA

View Full Version : Starting from cratch!!

Nova-Boy
19-02-03, 10:16 AM
I have given up trying to change the Rally style nova back. Got rid of it and got a J reg 1.2 standard dark blue.

(PS dont make a rally style nova!!)

What should i do to it without making it look shit.

I have changed the 15" alloys over and it allready has clear indicators and thats about it.

1. I will de-badge it.
2. Take side strips and pin stripes off.
3. Exhaust. What is the best back box for looks, quality and sound??
Ashley??

I need some help from you boys who know whats what!

Thanks for the help.

(I obviously need it as i made my last nova into a rally style!!)

Any other comments on rally novas???

djp_y2k
19-02-03, 03:38 PM
If ur running 15's, then slam it to the floor,
delock it,
fit gsi bumpers and MK2 front end (if it hasnt got it),
delock the boot but dont smooth
clear rear lights
respray white with a blue pearl.

This should be on top of what you have planned

burgessovsalford
19-02-03, 04:17 PM
If its Jreg it will b a mk2 so wont need new front end.

Interior styling is good aswell. Digi dash, GSI interior, hazard light mod, for starters

Actually get ur car secure b4 anything! alarm, disklok etc..

djp_y2k
19-02-03, 06:14 PM
Wot is this hazard light mod everyone goes on about.

I know the little trick of bypassing the the key and turning the ignition on. Has it something to do with that?

mikeoxford
20-02-03, 12:49 AM
Wot is this hazard light mod everyone goes on about.

I know the little trick of bypassing the the key and turning the ignition on. Has it something to do with that?

exaclty that

basically by doing the "trick" you turn *ahem* upside down right? forcing electric crurrent the wrong way down a certain two black wires.

cut them, wire in a diode.

and bobs your uncle, electric current only flows one way, provided you wired it in right ;)

theres a guide on nova-land.com under interior section.

?Marty?
20-02-03, 01:27 AM
That hazard light trick is a load of crap. Tried it in my car AND - nothing. Surprise, surprise.

Nova-Boy
20-02-03, 10:17 AM
Is there any other subjects about how to de-lock your doors and boot??

Also what is this harzard warining light trick?? What does it do. I have never heard of it.

djp_y2k
20-02-03, 10:39 AM
Ahh I get you.

Will have to do that.

Put it this way the hazard switch trick isnt a good thing, so u are better off doing as people tell you.

If you want to know give it ago.

novax
22-02-03, 12:16 AM
Modding is an entirly a personal thing. Personally big rear spoilers like the Mondeo one bolted on look awful! "less is more" is very true, subtle. Well fitted bodykit, even if everybody else hates it is what counts. Take the Corsa on the cover of TV the other month.... great paint job but everyone said "did you see the front bumper not fitting right"

Steer clear of tat like LED washer jets and neons bolted in plain view. What ever you do make it look as if it was there fromthe beginning.

Check out my site below, hope you like the car... Mines the first NOva on the top line.

mikeoxford
22-02-03, 12:58 AM
That hazard light trick is a load of crap. Tried it in my car AND - nothing. Surprise, surprise.

perhaps your car has the imbolisier fitted correctly....you do have one right? but 99% of all aftermarket imobilised cars will STILL not stop the hazard trick FACT

another fact is it is a fault on ALL mk2 novas, so dont say i daint warn ya!

?Marty?
22-02-03, 02:51 AM
Might be that then Mike. Thatcham cat 1 immobiliser/alarm and etc.

Also, posts like this do my head in!

Look, you can't have an individual car if you have no taste. So if you don't know what's what, pick a car you do like and copy it. It won't be an original idea and etc, but if you don't have the imagination to come up with ideas, and good taste to decide what would look good, then that's all you can do.

Then just ask for help on HOW to carry out the mods you've chosen. Rather than asking for WHICH mods to do. If you are incapable to decide for yourself, then you probably have no taste to choose/combine mods to suit the overall look of your car (and don't even know WHAT look you're going for), and by asking WHAT to do, you will only get different peoples 'visions'. If you only pick one, then you are basically copying their idea (and hence their car - imaginary or not). If you 'pick an mix', then you'll STILL end up with a tasteless/ott car, as you obviously have no taste for picking YOUR OWN ideas/mods and making them look good.

Nova-Flair
22-02-03, 07:21 PM
just start with the basics and take it from there m8. its all down to your own personal tastes i personally wouldnt recommend going down the huge bodykit route as there are a lot of poorly made ones out there that dont fit properly and look poo.

if you can make a clean GSI replica with a few subtle, but tasteful mods you will turn a lot more heads. i agree with novax less is more.

ashley exhausts are very loud but im not sure about the quality. i have heard good things about powerflow exhausts. they cost a bit but are custom made out of stainless steel my m8 paid about ?260-?270 for his but it sounds fantastic. would advise going for the whole system rather than just the backbox though because even though it is cheaper you just dont get the sound.

ade
27-02-03, 01:06 AM
depends on yer budget. I had a 1.2 mk2 - modded it completely - now looks like a GSi with subtle changes.

Do exteriors to make look tidy 1st - Wheels, lower it, debadge, clean up body etc...

Leave the engine mods for a while - 1.2 is nippy and with a decent back box will sound good. No ppoint getting K&N or other airflow stuff - fcuks car up in winter and you only get marginal performance gains. You will notice it but IMO based on experience not worth it.

Ade

Nova-Boy
27-02-03, 08:25 AM
Its not that i want to know what to do more what not to do. I have modded a car before and just got the piss ripped out of it.

mikeoxford
27-02-03, 11:14 AM
just dont buy stick on bits, loose the sunstrip if u got one and dont shop at halfords or buy boyracery things

Nova-Boy
27-02-03, 12:34 PM
good advice. 8)

ade
27-02-03, 01:37 PM
I like Halfords!

Theyve got great cup holders and go faster mats n everything!

lol

Nah - keep the exterior clean - no stickers or sh1te - I used to have flourescent tape on me bumpers :o many years ago - looked pish!

Keep interior neat too - IMO dont paint the dash dials a garish colour - just lower it - nice wheels - nice exhaust (not too loud) and keep it rust free - get a decent stereo and take inspiration from the many novas in the featured section.

In My Opinion anyway