PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 16v help please

Ernie
19-07-09, 03:03 PM
Ive done an engine change on my friends mrk4 astra 1.4 16v.
I removed the engine and changed it all across to the new engine and put back into the car.
Ive done the norm and fitted new belts pullys timed it all up filled with new oil and fitted a new filter.
well today was the first start up.
It dont start.
it turns over but dont want to fire.ive checked that it is getting feul but not sure how to check the spark as its on a silly modul thing (no ht leads)
Is there any sort of imobiliser but im not sure how this would of cut in as its still running on the parts that were already in the car.
Ive cheacked and every thing is wired back up.
I was imformed by the owner that the car has sat for 6 months with the new engine on a pallet next to it which was led down with no oil in it could the lifters emptyed.
Sorry for all the questions but i just want it running and out my garage as im fedup with the site of it now.
cheers
Chris.

Will F
19-07-09, 04:22 PM
Is the newly fitted engine new? I am guessing not, so check compression - it may be fecked.

Usually, if the lifters are jacked/empty it turns over quickly, as if there is no compression until they fill up with oil...

Just crank it for a good while first...

AlexW
19-07-09, 04:28 PM
What i was about to say^

The imobliser brings on the EML, cant remember if it flashes or just stays constant while cranking.

Ernie
19-07-09, 07:45 PM
Is the newly fitted engine new? I am guessing not, so check compression - it may be fecked.

Usually, if the lifters are jacked/empty it turns over quickly, as if there is no compression until they fill up with oil...

Just crank it for a good while first...

Cheers Will

It turns over and does go a bit easy.The engine looked like it had been removed with a crane as most bits were damaged and had to be changed from the old engine.
They had even broke the rocker cover and cam wheel.

Adam
19-07-09, 07:46 PM
Whats the ecu light doing when you crank/turn ignition on?

kennyman1989
19-07-09, 08:18 PM
what he said^^^ if the light is on then get the code reader ou

Ernie
19-07-09, 09:15 PM
i will have to check again for sure but i think it is on when you turn the ignition on but i think it went out when it was cranked over but came back on after a wile.

Will F
20-07-09, 08:36 AM
i will have to check again for sure but i think it is on when you turn the ignition on but i think it went out when it was cranked over but came back on after a wile.

Thats pretty normal - the only sensors that would prevent it firing are the cam and crank sensors, so check them first. Otherwise just crank until you get bored! lol

I would guess that the crank sensor pick up may be damaged - I broke one off when I removed one ages ago, cos they are on teh bottom corner of teh engine...

Ernie
20-07-09, 10:14 AM
I had to fit the one from the original engine as they had broke the new one clean off.Ive also cranked it over till the starter started to smoke.I will see what i can salvage from the heap of bits on the floor.
Cheers Will.

Will F
20-07-09, 05:07 PM
If you have compression, fuel and spark it will start - although if you cant check the latter - check the first two and assume! lol

And cranking until the starter smokes should be enough!:)

soup1
20-07-09, 10:20 PM
easy enough check spark,pull the coil pack out fit plug to the end and just earth the body of the plug, then repeat for the other three

Southie
20-07-09, 10:25 PM
Not sure if it's the same on these as mine but on the back of the inlet manifold there maybe a earth that should be connected. This earth is used for the injection rail and sensors. I'd not connected mine once and it did the similar, basically just kept cranking but no spark.

Hope it helps. :)

Ernie
20-07-09, 10:28 PM
i connected the 2 earths at the top by the injection rail.

Southie
20-07-09, 10:34 PM
There should be two that attach to the alternator and possibly one that attaches to the back of the inlet where the air intake pipe is. As said I'm not sure if the same as mine but worth a check anyhow.

Ernie
21-07-09, 07:35 AM
there was 2 wires to the alt Fitted
there was 2 wires to the starter Fitted
there was an earth strap to the started Fitted
there was also 2 earths on the top of the inlet Fitted.
I also refitted the earth strap at the front of the engine and plugged all the rest back in.

Will F
21-07-09, 08:23 AM
Compression OK?
Getting fuel etc?

Ernie
26-07-09, 08:10 AM
hi all.
I got it to fire yesterday but only by spraying start ya b#@tard down the inlet.Ive checked and there is feul in the lines and the plugs smelt of feul.
Is there a feul cut off switch on these and should the feul pump prime up when you turn the key or when you crank the engine.
Sorry for all the questions and thanks for all the advice.
Chris.

AlexW
26-07-09, 09:26 AM
The pump may prime with ign or when cranking. Cant be much more use than that sorry.

Ernie
02-08-09, 12:19 PM
"It's alive"
It turned out to be the knock sensor on the back of the block.
I had moved all the sensors over wile the engine was out i moved everything over.What i didnt noticed was when the old engine let a conrod out the back it had hit the wire for the sensor.
I fitted the one from the parts bin and it started first turn of the key.
happy days and thanks for all the help.
Chris.