PDA

View Full Version : avo rear coilovers

novasaloon1984
18-07-09, 04:19 PM
do you have to make any mods to the rear struts. anyone running them and what they like for road use???

Nick J
18-07-09, 04:28 PM
A lot of people like to Turret the rear if running coilovers. But not all have.... Ive heard avo's,Gaz are pretty good for clearance compared to others. You'll probably just have to take the hammer to the inner wheel arch to gain a sensible amount of clearance. All novas are slightly different.

Nick.

Adam
18-07-09, 08:58 PM
I run my avos on the standard mounts (not turreted)
As for road use etc, all depends on what springs you use and if you want it low or not. Avos dont like low

Rich
18-07-09, 09:03 PM
Dont get avos if you want to run low, they will just bottom out and the ride will be terrible.

I had to take a hammer to the inner arches with rear avos, only needed a slight tapping though.

loggyboy
18-07-09, 10:20 PM
You will want to increase the stength of the existing turrets at the very minimum, I would suggest stitch welding and adding a larger spreader washer.

Adam
18-07-09, 10:34 PM
Its the bottom mount point thats weak, the standard turret is triple skinned.....

djbrowney
18-07-09, 10:35 PM
what have people done to there bottom mounts as im now about to do mine ???

Big_Chap
18-07-09, 10:46 PM
You might want to beef up the mount on the beam as it's about 0.8mm thk and was never designed to hold the weight if the rear +passengers! I also stitched the rear inner mount areas on the shell

Adam
18-07-09, 10:48 PM
Weld around where it joins the beam, just to strengthen it, but saying that, i havent touched mine

Rich
19-07-09, 12:45 AM
If the backend is stripped i wouldnt worry about it, if you will be taking rear passengers id advise it

Big_Chap
19-07-09, 01:00 AM
what have people done to there bottom mounts as im now about to do mine ???

hey, have a look in my wip below, toward the end has pics of my rear beam, I cut a plate about 2-3mm thk welded it over the existing bracket and drilled the hole through at the same level as the original mount. I also welded an nut to ensure the bolt defo didn't come loose but you don't need to bother with that.

novasaloon1984
20-07-09, 01:27 PM
thanks for the advice. i guess i am going to have to look at something else as i want to be low. maybe kw,s