PDA

View Full Version : bumper strips

mullinz
18-02-03, 06:52 PM
can any1 help me !
how much work is involved in removing bumper strips from the side of nova's cause mine look bollocks and i want to make the car look smooth

Chris LR
18-02-03, 07:08 PM
Not much work. Hairdryer or sumthin like that.

Another sad loss.......

mikeoxford
18-02-03, 07:15 PM
easy enough to do.

have you got vinyl below them as well? thats where it takes the time!

vinyl takes the pi$$ did it on me mates car.

Alex
18-02-03, 08:43 PM
Use LOADS of very very hot water

?Marty?
18-02-03, 08:54 PM
And then you'll STILL see them, like ghosts, as they won't be duller due to weathering, like the rest of the car will be.

Alex
18-02-03, 09:01 PM
depends what colour the car is really. on my metallic grey nova you couldnt see where they used to be. Red is the worse colour to do it on

crashbandicout
18-02-03, 09:40 PM
ive just taken mine off they were a twat the hairdryer helped though

my neighbours looked at me as if i was crackers

ashman
18-02-03, 10:13 PM
I did mine last weekend,
hot soapy water and don't rush it!
teacut and then polished the whole car, looks mint!

Anton
18-02-03, 10:56 PM
did mine with me finger nails lmao then t cuted it

mikeoxford
18-02-03, 11:05 PM
hmmmm do what i did if u want and use boiling water from a kettle, youll find the bump strip leaves the paint and u dont av 2 do anything!

only problem is i sent my red paint pink / white and had to use t-cut to bring it back red!

i did it on an old tailgate, removing the badges but principles the same

Nova-Boy
19-02-03, 08:11 AM
I started to take mine off and then gave in. The plastic came off but they just slid off a metal pannel that i have no idea how is stuck to the car. I was affraid there could be holes in the body work that they are fixed to. Anyone had this problem before?? It is a 1.2 Swing.

mullinz
19-02-03, 09:08 AM
cheerz 4 ur help!

the only thing is my bruv rekons they have brackets that hold them on. its a '91' black 1.2. if it is held on with brackets will i have to weld plates then fill em and then get the whole side of the car resprayed. how do i find out whether its held on by brackets or not

Nova-Boy
19-02-03, 10:20 AM
Hi.

I have a 1.2 nova and mine are held on with metal strips. If they are then all you have to do to check is pull at the plastic bumper. It is only stuck to the car with sticky pads. So you can always glue or stick it back on.

Worth a try.

James B
19-02-03, 10:25 AM
did my with elbow grease. good old fingers giving it a rub, the amount of blisters was unbelievable. I found that using hot water brought some of the paint off too with the vinyl sticky stuff, so i picked it off by hand. nightmare.

T cutted the areas above and below it afterwards to try to bend in the paint, still aint looking right tho. O well.

Respray soon i think if i pull me finger out and get exterior finished.

whitey
19-02-03, 11:25 AM
Some of the OLD novas had the plasticy ones held on by little metal pegs which wtick out 2 at a time about 1/2 a foot apart! Plastic clips stick to these clips which the plastic slides onto inturn!

So if you take it off and telise you have these then you have 1 of 2 choices, put them back on or gring the bstards off which will take ages and require a complete respray as they cover the doors, front and back wings!

Whites

mikeoxford
19-02-03, 12:21 PM
only old novas with studs into the bodywork

whitey
19-02-03, 02:51 PM
yeah that what i meant just wouldnt come out

mikeoxford
20-02-03, 12:50 AM
yeah that what i meant just wouldnt come out

what age is your nova?

whitey
20-02-03, 11:49 AM
My old white one Mike was on a B plate, classic, but someone smashed into me who wasnt insured so i beat him and he paid me ?1000 that day! New one on a J! Courtesy of him, along with much of my ICE! ha

No comparison when it comes to hassle saved!

If I was a newb and thikin of getting a nova id just save a little more, wait and buy a standard mint mk2!