PDA

View Full Version : electric fan

Welshy
17-07-09, 11:22 PM
hi all, ive narrowed my sr's boiling over problem down to the fan not kicking in atall, its going to have a nw thermostat gaskit but how do i go about putting my fan on a switch??
any help will be rewarded with rep and love
welshy

AlexW
17-07-09, 11:23 PM
Replace the fan switch would be a good thing, but just need to bridge the two wires with a switch, two wires at the rad fan switch on the side of the rad.

MK999
17-07-09, 11:24 PM
Take the plug out of the rad fan switch (LHS of rad looking from the front) and run 2 wires from that to a flick switch somewhere, or 2 bare wires if you want to be pikey (read dangerous) about it lol Alternatively you could just get a new rad fan switch for about £10 I think mine cost? so it works properly. Bridge the connector plug to make sure that is the problem first though.

Welshy
17-07-09, 11:28 PM
ok thanks lads, will do in the morning, also looking in my haynes manual, im tryning to find out if it is the thermostate thats actually leaking, on a 1.4 where is the thermostate??

MK999
17-07-09, 11:49 PM
Will be the same as all novas, under the top hose connection on the block. Wheres the leak coming from? If you don't know try and trace it, i.e follow the drips lol

nova_saloon
17-07-09, 11:56 PM
when doing the switch if you do it that way is where there is a blank in the dash for things like rear wiper motor and such have it with one of them so it looks standard

Welshy
17-07-09, 11:59 PM
Will be the same as all novas, under the top hose connection on the block. Wheres the leak coming from? If you don't know try and trace it, i.e follow the drips lol
it is comeing from there but i wasnt sure it was the thermostat as my haynes manual tells me that thats the water pump for some daft reson

MK999
18-07-09, 12:14 AM
mine had a slight leak there when rebuilt, I just nipped the bolts up a touch tighter (8th of a turn at most) and it stopped

AlexW
18-07-09, 12:19 AM
If theres a leak the system wont pressurise right, sort the fault and the overheating will sort itself probs. Btw the water pump could be ****ed causing it to leak and cause the water to not circulate.

Welshy
18-07-09, 01:10 AM
to take the water pump off i need to take the cambelt off dont i??

Welshy
18-07-09, 02:49 PM
right then, ive done the fan it was the switch, just wired it to be perminantly on, i now need a waterpump and gaskit, going to do that, start it up to see if the headgaskits gone aswell, how do i check this though as i know for definate its not gone between the water and oil, as it doesent have no muck in the oil or expansion tank

garyc
18-07-09, 02:59 PM
your fan should only come on when your stuck in traffic. If you need it on whilst driving something else is wrong.

paul james
18-07-09, 03:00 PM
You can buy a cylinder pressure testing tool, that can help show if something is wrong:

for example:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 9553_langId_-1_categoryId_165557#dtab

Excessive smoke from the exhaust (not just at start up) would indicate a leak in the gasket. And of course you could just take the head off and have a look, a new head gasket and set of head bolts don't cost much for a nova.

Spudly
18-07-09, 03:32 PM
You could burn your fan motor out as theyre not designed to be on permanently, wire it to a switch as i told you in novaboi's thread dude its simple and takes minutes to do!

greg1.4
18-07-09, 04:19 PM
i had mine wired permanantly for 3 years and it was fine..

Welshy
18-07-09, 09:50 PM
done the fan, got some new parts to go on today, bought a new themostat and temp gage sensor thingy, also getting a new timeing belt for monday,
uncle gibbos going to do that for me so happy days!!!
also went and got my old nova back today, mums going to use it fornow then i can see a 2.0 8v turbo or maybe something different,
also noticed in the fuse box that the back heated windscreen has blown then melted,
what could have caused this??