PDA

View Full Version : Help !!!!!!

novaman90
17-07-09, 05:44 PM
were i could i get a 1.3 crank and rods from iv got a 1.2st and heard its quite good upgrade so were could i get them from and roughly how much cheers

Asa-James
17-07-09, 07:20 PM
best bet would be t buy a complete 1.3 engine, then you have all the bits yur likely to need, and if it all goes pear shaped, rebuild the 1.3 and drop it in!

ashjones
17-07-09, 07:42 PM
i know someone sellin a 1.3 sr complete if your interested

Plug
17-07-09, 08:32 PM
the best way to get the items would be to post in Parts Wanted and list what you want

mowgli
17-07-09, 09:54 PM
were i could i get a 1.3 crank and rods from iv got a 1.2st and heard its quite good upgrade so were could i get them from and roughly how much cheers

basically you need to rebuild a whole engine with the 1300 crank & rods, with 1200 pistons.
now this can be done 2 ways, either fit the crank & rods to a 1200 block, or fit 1200 pistons to a rebored 1300.

either way, you will need to strip the engine to its base components, & get it bored, cos there is no way a 20 year old 1200 is not going to have steps in the bores & if you don't get it rebored, the increased stroke will knacker the piston rings the first time you fire it up.

As quite a few people on here know, I did one of these engines back in the early nineties & it got pocketted pistons to keep the compression to a manageable level. if not, you get about 11 to 1. some people are happy with this, I preferred to have a reliable daily driver.

you basically need to rebuild the whole engine to get any decent life out of it, ie: crank ground, new oil pump etc. then you will get about 90hp. more if you stick a bigger carb & a decent cam on it.

teamdangerous
17-07-09, 10:53 PM
As one of the first people to carry out this conversion - it was odd that Peter Maiden Components started offering their "upgrade kits" after I'd contacted them for a better head gasket for the 1200 size bore - I can say that this conversion isn't as straightforward as you may first think.

Using the 77.8mm pistons from the 1200 (always go for Mahle pistons, not the AE Hepolite), the compression ratio will increase quite dramatically - I calculated it at around 12:1 static. This is fine if you're using a big cam, I don't mean a fast road cam, I mean a fairly fierce hydraulic cam, or better still go for a solid lifter setup with something like a kent AST8.

If you try to run it with a factory cam, it'll detonate and/or pink like a b*stard. Been there, done that, changed headgaskets like clean chavs change their cellphones - which is good for practice, but not good for going anywhere.

Going back to the "go for Mahle" pistons, is because their alloy is a better quality, and it withstands detonation/pinking much better.

I concur with mowgli, full bottom end balance (crank/flywheel/clutch), rods balance/peen. pistons: balance, Oil pump - replace or rebuild (it's easy). Always use good oil. Mobil 1 - 5W50 seems about the best I've found.

Then slap on a pair of 40's, a port matched 1300 cast factory manifold, to a port matched genuine set of downpipes, and a Piper Tornado exhaust system (buy some ear plugs).

That's enough tips for now, other than one more phrase: Blydenstein B+ head.

Rob.

Hobbit
18-07-09, 04:56 AM

you have pm :thumb:

ashjones
18-07-09, 08:57 AM
whats a 1.2st?

Nova_Tek
18-07-09, 09:53 AM
the 1.2 carb engine found in the early Nova's.