PDA

View Full Version : GAZ coilovers squeaking

craig green
17-07-09, 01:43 PM
Over the last 2 weeks or so, there has been a metallic squeaking noise coming from the off side rear arch. It got worse after the drive back from Billing & I feared the worst, upon inspection the coilover on that corner is suffereing fgrom the inside edge of the spring rubbing against the upper damper body.

Anyone else suffered this? I've managed to move the spring away from the area being rubbed, but it bothers me that it is able to move & rub like this..

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/NovaGSi-WIP_pics/work_in_progress002-1.jpg

Hard to see, but you can see abrasion marks in the damper body & the transfer has scraped away.

GRUNT 16V
17-07-09, 01:54 PM
Grease Me Up Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iain
17-07-09, 01:54 PM
Silly question, but is the spring located properly in both the upper and lower platforms?

craig green
17-07-09, 01:57 PM
Yes. Thats what is odd. I fail to see why or how the spring would reseat itslef into a new position like that.

That units are setup so the ride height is as high as it can be (turrets too tall), so the spring is under an amount of preload anyway, so it isnt dislocating over bumps or holes in road etc. Odd. Its fine now but I wonder if it will do it again or cause any damage to the piston or damper if something is moving too much.

craig green
17-07-09, 01:58 PM
Grease Me Up Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bend over! lol

Aye greased for now, might insulate the noise a tad. I have found that anything rubbing on a spring gets amplified immensely.