PDA

View Full Version : Rear Headrests

joeczucha
18-02-03, 11:34 AM
Is there anyway to do the rear headrest conversion if you haven't got the 60/40 split seat? I think it would pretty good with my standard Nova MK2 interior. My mate said maybe you could fix a bit of wood inside the seat or something and then fix the clips into that? Any ideas? Cheers, Joe

Freak
18-02-03, 02:31 PM
Slot them between the rear seats and the parcel shelf.
Easy.

Did the same on my 1.2 i used to own b4 the SRi.

joeczucha
18-02-03, 02:32 PM
Surely thats not very secure at all? Also i haven't got the parcel shelf in i got a wierd homemade stealth covering the speakers. Do you bother with the clips or just slide the meteal headrest legs in? Joe

wisewood
18-02-03, 02:56 PM
to do it right you want the head rest guides from vauxhall... someone will be able to tell you the part number of what you need i should think.

joeczucha
18-02-03, 02:58 PM
I'm gonna get them... but surely there is only the bits for them to clip into once its pushed into the seat on the 6040 split ones? Or will it be stable enough just with the guides and then pushed in? Joe

Will
18-02-03, 03:37 PM
do as freak said, i did it works ok, did this till i had gsi seats, and now buckets :)

Freak
18-02-03, 06:34 PM
do as freak said, i did it works ok, did this till i had gsi seats, and now buckets :)

Listen to the man......

mikeoxford
18-02-03, 07:17 PM

Listen to the man......

:lol: the "daddy" - lol he does drive a pimp mobile!

yeah in my old nova merit i whacked them straight in between seat and parcel shelf, another idea is to make a u shaped bracket and screw to back of seats so they at least have summat to slide in

or even locate them on your parcel shelf if its MDF?

?Marty?
18-02-03, 08:57 PM
Just get buckets front and back.

mikeoxford
18-02-03, 11:05 PM
Just get buckets front and back.

and BACK!?

is he mad!?

can this be done?

mikeoxford
18-02-03, 11:05 PM
mmmmmmmmm a minifridge or similar in the middle

mikeoxford
18-02-03, 11:06 PM
chrome fire extingusher :o marty what have you done!

the options are endless

mikeoxford
18-02-03, 11:06 PM
u cud even make the chrome fire extinguisher look like a nos bottle :lol: ill stop now

novax
22-02-03, 12:27 AM
In the single rear type seats there are no locations for the guides. Therefore you can't fit headrests into the seat. Sorry it's just not possible. Swapping the seats is possible but involves welding the extra middle brackets in...

mikeoxford
22-02-03, 12:56 AM
is rear buckets possible.........? or are they too tall?

?Marty?
22-02-03, 02:54 AM
Yes. Mike. They ARE possible. And have already been done.

The only point to note is that you will have A LOT of difficulty getting rear passengers into the rear of the car, if you have FIXED front buckets. Hence you will need recliners. To match the rear one's, otherwise it will look crap.

ade
27-02-03, 01:20 AM
YOU CAN fit rear head rests on a not split seat. You need a drill with a 1cm drill bit, a round file to make the holes bigger and the headrest guides for the rear of the car. (about ?4 each)

1st take back part of seat out of car (2 slots on the sides, lever guides out - be careful not to damage guides)

2nd the material for the seat easily comes away from the metal back of seat itself - its held in place with a card strip. At the side there will be a gap in the join - simply push down and it will pop out. They just prise it apart. Its easily slotted back in place afterwards.
Once removed, you will be able to seperate the metal frame from the material and foam back.
You now need to line up the guides & headrest supports. you will need to drill 4 holes for each headrest, 2 at the top of the metal frame and 2 on the inner support that runs the length of the back frame - directly beneath each other. A drill will do the job. Unless you can get a big enough drill bit you re best making a pilot initially, then expand hole up to biggest drill bit you have, then using round file, file hole bigger.

Test with one of the guides - dont worry about knowcing in place, theyre held by clips - to remove simply puch clips in on the guide.

Once all holes are drilled and the rests/guides etc sit ok, you now need to mark the top holes on the fabric (you need to make 4 cuts in the seat). Best way is to reassemble the seat (make sure guides are removed), then using a finger feel for the holes you drilled and then push a sharp knife through. You can then force the guide through the slit cut. the fabric wont tear or fray aslong as you only make a minimum of 2 cross cuts.

Fit guides, refit seat and then fit headrests

I fitted headrests to my 1.2 after fitting 60/40 split seats - I didnt weld the middle support either - simply made a hinge style bracket which I bolted to the spare wheel ell to support the middle - solid of fcuk!

Ade
:wink: