PDA

View Full Version : bank charges :(

Tidy Max
16-07-09, 04:46 PM
with my regular bank statement yesterday there was an extra sheet attatched which said they were imposing a maintenance charge of £28 to my account :(

phoned up the bank today and apparently this charge is because i had gone over drawn by 38p, after making the vegetable on the other end of the phone agree that my account will NOT allow me to withdraw money that isn't in my account, i got told, well this is how the system works,

what has happened is i have bought some petrol at 20quid, checked my balance the next morning and it was in the positive, withdrawn some funds, then after withdrawing the funds, the petrol money from yesterday has been withdrawn thus sending me into the minus?

as a sign of 'goodwill' the bank has 'refunded' half of the money, i explained you can only refund something that has already been taken and the charge hasn't been taken yet so really they are halfing the outrageous fee,

is there anything i can do? or just sit down and stfu? id rather chew my own cock off than pay them money, most expensive 38p i have ever been lent

Welshy
16-07-09, 04:48 PM
nope nowt you can do, everytime i go overdrawn i get charged £75. thats life your lucky you only get charged that

let_nova
16-07-09, 04:49 PM
i had this problem when i was 16. had a card with no overdraft etc and i went over by 3p and got a £30 fine lol. tell them that you will take you account elsewere if the dont sort it.

or earn more money so it doesnt happen again

Welshy
16-07-09, 04:50 PM
or dont go overdrawn lol

brainsnova
16-07-09, 04:51 PM
close the account and pay cash :thumb:

Tidy Max
16-07-09, 04:53 PM
yeah, thought so, jesus 70quid that is bad!

i thought they had packed in all this bank charge malarky! i would never intentionally go overdrawn, infact i wasnt even aware that i could go overdrawn! i threatened to close my bank account and thats when they halfed the charge, sorry refunded me half...?!

brainsnova
16-07-09, 04:55 PM
what pisses me off is the bank aint short off cash so why charge for going over pennies.

Andy
16-07-09, 05:00 PM
Debit cards and banks are the root of all evil.Cash under t'floorboards ftw.Im beginning to turn gyppo as ive tried the legal and right way and ended up with fack all.Yet see the gyppos in brand new cars and vans all bought for in cash.Plus their caravans which are all smart as fukk

MK999
16-07-09, 06:02 PM
Bank are currently in court atm over bank charges, as it's been decided they cannot be a charge for a service, or a penalty, so should only cover what it actually costs the bank when you go overdrawn (i.e the cost of sending you a letter etc) The verdict on what a fair charge is is due to come out in october.

If you google reclaiming bank charges it should come up with a whole load of info, but everything is on hold atm until the court case is decided.

Jack
16-07-09, 06:05 PM
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/oft-bank-charges

^ Read.

Andy
16-07-09, 06:09 PM
I hope the fiddling bastads get took to the cleaners.All those who say "well dont go overdrawn then" are talking sh1te.I have no overdraft on my account yet i can go overdrawn?! Direct debits and buying stuff with your card is what bums you.As card purchases come out days later.Its a load of bollox,i got a £218 charge for going over my overdraft limit on my other account which i just closed today.I refused to pay it as i was still adhering to my repayments.I sent a letter to customer services=Andy 1 Lloyds TSB 0

Rich
16-07-09, 06:21 PM
Yeah its a joke. I had paid somthing via paypal and a few days later checked my balance and drew out my last tenner. Few days later i got a letter saying im overdrawn by 52p, been charged £15 and £6 per day until its repaid. Letter took 2 days to come! :mad:

Jack
16-07-09, 06:28 PM
Do some people use their cards then magically forget they've used them?

Example: I have £79 in my current account right now. I know that I bought £40 worth of fuel earlier, so when I go to the cashpoint later, will I stand there and go "cool, £79, I'll withdraw £50"? No, as I know I only have £39 available due the money spent earlier.

Tidy Max
16-07-09, 07:01 PM
i don't magically forget, i just am not constantly aware of whats in my bank account and if i go to a hole in the wall, check my balance and it says AVAILABLE: £20.73, i kind of expect there to be ..... £20.73, it had been over a day since i last used my card, and i didnt know what was in my account, so i draw out the 20, but it actually turns out that £20.73 wasnt available, that was just my balance?!

entrapment i tell you!!

Andy
16-07-09, 07:01 PM
Its not that jack,Heres my example-I have a £200 overdraft limit which im already £150 into now i need some food and nappies,I spend bang on £50.Wonderful i get paid tomorrow so im ok again,oh no i arent,the banks monthly overdraft interest charge has just been added without prior warning.Bang 53pence overdrawn=£30 charge.This happened last year and i was furious.Went into the bank,caused a scene and had my charge removed.You would not believe the carry on ive had with my previous bank.Being accused of giving a false name,letters being sent to my 3rd PREVIOUS address,phonecalls at 10pm,phonecalls to previous address.Unlawful charges.They exasparated me! Proper dangerous bank i swear!

Jack
16-07-09, 07:04 PM
Name and shame the bank? :d

Tidy Max
16-07-09, 07:05 PM
fat tony by any chance? your luckily you didnt get picked off my friend lol

Andy
16-07-09, 07:06 PM
I did on the previous page mate.or for those who didnt see
LLOYDS TSB

Asa-James
16-07-09, 09:48 PM
count yourself lucky, i got a letter thru this morning telling me they are taking a £60 fine for going overdrawn, for the third month in a row. i cant wait til we can claim these bank charges back again, i r gonna be rich (for about 3 hours)