PDA

View Full Version : no impact gun?!

Tidy Max
16-07-09, 02:32 PM
the nut which holds my hub on is well and truely stuck on, i don't have access to an impact gun! what can i use? ive had a bar ove my blue point ratchet but it just slipped into the opposite direction, so its not very good for my ratchet!

any tricks or tips? thanks

mowgli
16-07-09, 02:34 PM
do not use a ratchet bar, it will shatter the ratchet. use a tommy bar or a breaker bar

Tidy Max
16-07-09, 02:36 PM
well ill be phoning through 2 tools to snap ons warrenty depo tonight lol

jimbob-mcgrew
16-07-09, 02:48 PM
these can be tight as f0ok. snapped 2 breaker bars trying to get one undone before, had to run it down a garage in the end and let them wail on it with a buzz gun for a coupla mins before it freed up. hopefully yours aint too bad.

Asa-James
16-07-09, 03:10 PM
lots of wd40, clean the threads up as much as possible. if you have vented discs (vetilation down the centre) then find an old screwdriver and wedge it so it doesnt spin backwards, as well has having someone standing on the brakes in the car

or alternatively, put the sheel on, put the car on the floor in gear and wedge the wheel properly,

and as mowgli says, big ass breaker bar is needed, you'll just destroy ratchets

Tidy Max
16-07-09, 04:51 PM
well HSS want 26quid for a days hire of an impact gun, so i may just buy one, seen a decent battery powered effort for 18v, could come in usefulll for scrapyard missions!

pul16v
16-07-09, 04:56 PM
dont get an electric one they dont make enought torque . if your going to buy something go get yourself a good strong bar ive got a 3 foot one and undo everything tight with it my air gun doesnt allways wanna play with the uber tight stuff . oh and if you put a screwdriver down inside the disk make sure you have the wheel bolts fitted so you dont shear off the disk grub screw

brainsnova
16-07-09, 04:58 PM
isnt one side not opposite threads.

WBC
16-07-09, 05:21 PM
Not on the hubs ;)

On the track rod end they are ;)

Guderian
16-07-09, 06:04 PM
With the car on it's wheels the flex in the tyre carcase takes some of the strength out of your efforts. I did the last one by sitting the bottom TCA/ or 'wishbone' on wooden blocks (to give some stiffness) and had a bit of hefty pipe on my tommy bar. Kept BOTH FEET on it with my hands gripping on the roof rails, and persuaded it round a bit at a time. Don't stamp on it, you'll just hurt your feet. When i finally got the nut off the d/shaft was siezed in the hub anyway...

Trouble is with this job we are reaching the limit of 1/2 inch drive tools, i must invest in some 3/4 inch stuff to stop the bending occurring...

Tidy Max
16-07-09, 07:03 PM
yeah, im having to use an adapter at the moment :( bugger, the driveshafts do flex alot tbh! i will put the wheel back on and try it then mate, back at home now though, the vans at the works unit, cheers for the help!

Novaboi_1991
16-07-09, 07:13 PM
tbh mate, you can get a decent compresser hoses and the impact gun for under 150,

ive got a little compressor and all the bits cost me 90 quid then my dad brought a clarke impact gun for bout 20,

definatly handy...

Benn
16-07-09, 08:58 PM
A simple half inch breaker bar will do it, never not been able to un do one yet... No need for an impack gun.