PDA

View Full Version : <not a nova> bound brake

Tidy Max
15-07-09, 06:45 PM
absolute nightmare of a day, feeling very down in the dumps,
after getting the diesel pump looked at on the van, coming home on the motorway it didnt feel right, pulled off at my junction, front left wheel smoking more than snoop bloody dogg,

my brake has bound on, brakes have always been really good, no signs of sticking at all until now, anyone got any ideas, need to fix it tonight/in the morning, sorry to pollute the nova forum with astra van mechanical questions

any help is very very appreciated, thanks in advance

brainsnova
15-07-09, 06:48 PM
a seased caliper has to happen one day lol

Tidy Max
15-07-09, 06:51 PM
does it happen even if there were no signs of it seizing?

can i free it off or is it new caliper time :( thanks for replying!

AlexW
15-07-09, 07:25 PM
Preety much only option is to rebuild or replace, it may get worse and start locking the wheel causing it to judder, if it was me, i wouldnt use it.

mowgli
15-07-09, 07:39 PM
try to free it off, but a new one is fairly cheap

Benn
15-07-09, 07:44 PM
Pads prob knackerd tho.

Riggy
15-07-09, 07:59 PM
strip it down and check that the sliders are in good condition and free from any **** , these can stick and stop caliper from moving

Tidy Max
15-07-09, 08:12 PM
thanks very much, well i stopped on the side of slip road as it was stand still traffic anyway, almost wapped my nob out because i thought it was going to burst into flames but no need,

dropped it off at my works unit as it was the closest place, my mums going to drive me to work tomorrow and i will stay behind at work and try to fix it, if i don't i won't be getting home,

so after the diesel leaking, and brake binding, my girlfriend picked me up to get home to a red letter saying natwest are charging me 28quid for going over drawn .38p which was there fault in the first place :(

Tidy Max
16-07-09, 07:56 AM
where do i start with removing the brake caliper? trying to get abit done before my boss turns in, will try and get to a halfrauds for a haynes manual today

MattBrown
16-07-09, 08:01 AM
Wheel off, then theres 2 big allen bolts, take them out and the calpier should come off the carrier

Tidy Max
16-07-09, 08:17 AM
sound matt :), freed the pads off and my disc is loose! i can physically wobble it?

what could that be? collapsed wheel bearing?

Welsh Dan
16-07-09, 08:24 AM
The disc will be loose, although there should be a screw stopping it falling off.

Tidy Max
16-07-09, 08:31 AM
jsut noticed the disc is screwed tightly to the hub, its the hub thats loose :( never changed a bearing on a front wheel before, is it hard?

Welsh Dan
16-07-09, 09:05 AM
Not really, but unless you have a puller and a press it might be easier to take the hub&carrier assembly and a new bearing to a garage and pay them around £25 to pull the old one out and press the new one in.

Tidy Max
16-07-09, 09:20 AM
just phoned up my local motor factors, i can get a hub with the bearing pre pressed in for 61quid or 64 with the abs sensor, its all gravy baby, got the disc off now, cant get that bloody round cap off that covers the split pin, well and truley in, im maintenance spraying it and using the persuader, just trying not to damage it!