PDA

View Full Version : rattle cans, what...............

twistysnovagte
15-07-09, 06:39 PM
Kind of finnish can you expect to get on a set of alloy wheels with rattle cans,
let me explain a little, the wheels have been bead blasted and this is how they are now;
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa168/twist6151/DSCF1326.jpg
IF i do get the ratlle cans out im i right in say 2/3 coats base/primer, 2/3 coats of my chossen colour and 2 coats of laquer??:confused:
if wrong someone guide me the right way please?

post some pics up of your wheels sprayed with rattle cans:)

paul james
15-07-09, 06:43 PM
With the top colour do lots of thin coats, just 2 coats would be rushing it. Laquer is best done in a couple of thicker coats like you said. You can get just a good a finish with rattle cans as you can with a air compressor set up, if your careful that is. Cans are easier in some respects, no big equipment or gun settings to deal with, just don't try and use all the paint in the cans as when the pressure runs out you'll get horrible splatters.

brainsnova
15-07-09, 06:43 PM
since you laquering it by the time you flatten the chosen colour it will be easy to get a good shine with the laquer.

twistysnovagte
15-07-09, 06:50 PM
since you laquering it by the time you flatten the chosen colour it will be easy to get a good shine with the laquer. "flatten" explain please mate?
i am a careful guy when it comes to being neat about work so im willing to give it a go!

brainsnova
15-07-09, 06:52 PM
before you spray the laquer your ment to sand the shine off the finished colour so its matt for the best results for the laquer to get a good key.

Novaboi_1991
15-07-09, 06:56 PM
before you spray the laquer your ment to sand the shine off the finished colour so its matt for the best results for the laquer to get a good key.

you are? :wtf: lol ,

ive done like 10 sets and never done that, oops, what grade of sand paper do i need to do it ?

saloonwoody
15-07-09, 06:58 PM
use some good quality filler primer first , build up 2-3 coats then allow to dry before wet flatting back with 800grit wet n dry then as said build up your top coats gradually and if your using a 2 stage colour lightly key the last basecoat efore applying a few coats of laquer ;)

twistysnovagte
15-07-09, 07:01 PM
before you spray the laquer your ment to sand the shine off the finished colour so its matt for the best results for the laquer to get a good key. right i was thinking why do that to the finnish but then the laquer gives it its shine back,right?(im only going of what ive heard and read in forums etc
What "grit" sand paper would you use to flatten them back?
much respect for the help:)

AlexW
15-07-09, 07:19 PM
2000 would be good.

craig green
15-07-09, 07:23 PM
My mate refurbed a set of 4 Cesaro's with rattle cans. The finish was awesome. Just spend enough time & prep them well. I'd imagine after a blasting, you will need a lot of primer to fill the surface defects.

Dont expect the finish to last, cellulose paint degrades rather quickly.

let_nova
16-07-09, 12:11 AM
looky here

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120258&highlight=wheel+refurb

twistysnovagte
16-07-09, 08:15 PM
looky here

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120258&highlight=wheel+refurb nice work mate id be totaly happy if they came out like that:d :thumb: if i have enough funds this weekend ill get them primed up and ready for paint.
800 grit wet and dry sand paper for the flatting back ???

let_nova
16-07-09, 09:05 PM
yes. any questions pm me.

Benn
16-07-09, 09:12 PM
Where do you lot keep get this????

Dont sand base coat!

Lacquer doesnt fill scratch marks from sanding! Dont touch the base/colour coat inbetween painting and lacquering!

let_nova
16-07-09, 09:22 PM
i didnt flat back mine. i just fired it on.

Benn
16-07-09, 09:47 PM
Thats what your ment to do!

twistysnovagte
17-07-09, 12:13 PM
i didnt flat back mine. i just fired it on.
then they were primed, wet & dried and primed again:
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/incanova/car041.jpg
:confused:

Jack
17-07-09, 01:00 PM
2000 would be good.
too fine IMO, I did my bootlid with rattle cans and got a better finish than 2k paint in a proper gun!

I did a few layers of primer (various stages of priming and rubbing down to smooth out some filler and find spots on the surface), followed by two top (which was a bit thin, should have done a third tbh as its a touch thin in some places), then flattened down with 800 wet and then 1200 wet. Gave this a cut, polish and wax to bring the shine into it. All the paints I've come across that are basic colours (i.e. not metallic or pearl) haven't needed a top coat of lacquer.

My wheels I cleaned with wonder wheels, washed off, left to dry. Then two light coats of primer, 4 coats of top and two heavy lacquers to help protect the paint a bit better. I wasn't bothered about the finish as I wanted a satin edge to it, but if I wanted it gloss I'd have flattened the lacquer then polished and waxed.

MK999
17-07-09, 01:12 PM
Did my bonnet recently and I got a better finish than I did with a gun, however anyone that's seen my bonnet will realise that's not hard to do lol Did find it hard covering larger areas with the rattle cans as the spray pattern is quite fine, but for something like wheels I think it'd actually be easier with a rattle can than with a gun unless you're a pro with the gun.

Euroturbo's paint was flatted back all the way down to 2000 grit, it's a labour of love but doing it with paper that fine does yield results if you can stand the days of sanding as his paint proves!

vaughanmc
17-07-09, 03:12 PM
I painted my old Astra wheels with rattle cans - Didn't use laquer on them though as I wasn't confident in getting a flat shiney finish so just kept at them with Polish and Wax:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/vaughanmc/Messin%20Aboot/Nova14.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/vaughanmc/Messin%20Aboot/Nova13.jpg
Rover Hurricane Grey if anyones interested...

Benn
17-07-09, 05:55 PM
Sand paper really stops at 800 grit.
1000+ is classed as finishing paper.

Flatting primer should be done (finely rub down) with 800.

Flatting paint to polish it after lacquer. Dont sand it in bewteen paint and lacquer! Should be done with 1500 or 1200. But 1200 is very corse and easy to flat thru the lacquer with, so anyless you know what your doing do it with 1500 or 2000.

Count Vaux Alot
17-07-09, 06:27 PM
Sound advice as always Benn

twistysnovagte
02-08-09, 05:49 PM
i will be attempting to spray these my self now with rattle cans,can someone give a clue as to how many cans of primer,paint,laquer to spray 4x15"alloys???
oh and what type of paint i should be using 2pk base etc,not realy sure just want to give it ago;
please if possible to colour/photoshop the wheels shown in the earlier page in white,hurricane grey9or as near as damit)
,and black

~~joycey~~
02-08-09, 06:29 PM
I normally used

2x cans of primer= half a can on each wheel

4x cans of paint= 1 can per wheel

2x cans of lacquer= half a can on each wheel

twistysnovagte
02-08-09, 07:49 PM
I normally used

2x cans of primer= half a can on each wheel

4x cans of paint= 1 can per wheel

2x cans of lacquer= half a can on each wheelcheers mate

LEWI007
03-08-09, 09:38 AM
no, put more lacquer on than paint then it wont chip as easy.

and id 1200 wet and dry the lacquer down and polish them.

half a tin is enough, but id use more.