PDA

View Full Version : Applying seam sealer

Iain
14-07-09, 11:38 PM
When is the best time to brush on seam sealer? After etch primer? After normal primer? Or after a layer of paint before the topcoat/stonechip?

Thanks.

burgo
15-07-09, 01:03 AM
i would do it after the etch primer so you know the seams are sealed properly

G-nova
15-07-09, 01:19 AM
i have just done my engine bay with seam sealer and am gonna etch after also normal primer pics in my 1.2 project

GRUNT 16V
15-07-09, 10:31 AM
spray on your etch to bare metal then apply seam sealer with a brush or sealer gun depending what you have

G-nova
17-07-09, 11:40 PM
spray on your etch to bare metal then apply seam sealer with a brush or sealer gun depending what you have

i have done the job already just the other day see my 1.2 rebuild thread. do you think it is ok doing it before primer like i have?

ade
18-07-09, 10:31 AM
should really do it after primer - that way if the sealer fails the water still has another barrier to get past before bare metal...

mowgli
18-07-09, 10:44 AM
ade. I always thought that primer was actually a porous coating, purely to create a key for later coats of paint, but everyone seems to think it offers protection. If you get a sheet of metal & coat it in primer & leave it out in the rain, rust appears, admittedly after a while longer than if it is bare metal, but it still gets there.

Spudly
18-07-09, 10:46 AM
Primer is indeed porus, and actually holds water aswell as letting it in, but im thinking this "etch primer" may be different to normal primer?

The Simps
18-07-09, 10:46 AM
Leave the sealer in warm water for a bit. makes it easier to apply.

General Baxter
18-07-09, 10:47 AM
dont, just paint it, seam sealer is ****,

thats why 80% of mk2 are ****ed, they come from the factory with it lol
mk1 dint,

craig green
18-07-09, 12:40 PM
If you are using rattle cans, it's likely the solvent in the seam sealer will dissolve the primer anyway.
My engine bay was primed with brush on Red oxide & then seam sealed, still holding out 7 years on.

Nick J
18-07-09, 12:51 PM
Well, The way I would go about it as I do most days at work is to..... Etch the bare metal followed by seam sealer. We then use a wet on wet surfacer primer over the top before we apply any basecoat. In my experiance you cannot just apply topcoats straight over seam sealer. Primer is needed first.

Nick.

Iain
18-07-09, 01:04 PM
Okay thanks all. The metal is etch primered and sprayed with a high build primer, so I'll put sealer over that and reprimer before considering paint.

Nick J
18-07-09, 01:16 PM
Okay thanks all. The metal is etch primered and sprayed with a high build primer, so I'll put sealer over that and reprimer before considering paint.

Thats the way mate. ;)

Nick.

burgo
18-07-09, 03:59 PM
indeed spudley etch primer is different. it basically sticks like a mother fooker to bare metal

Spudly
18-07-09, 04:37 PM
indeed spudley etch primer is different. it basically sticks like a mother fooker to bare metal

Thought it would be as you lot tend to know what youre doing with such things so i know you wouldnt make the school boy error that a local lad made, driving round in his 106 covered in primer and filler most of last winter before paint lol

burgo
18-07-09, 04:40 PM
lmfao. fail. someone said to me it looks good in primer you should leave it like that!!!!

Leeboo
18-07-09, 06:27 PM
When I was re-doing the front end of my shell... I bare metal'd most places.. then after the seam welding I paintd the whole front end with aerosol red oxide primer (they were excellent for rattle cans... 'upol' I think?) Then I done every seam with seam sealer. After I let the seam sealer harden, my mate just put the top coat and laquer over the top properly with the gun and it was completely fne. I think some different types of seam sealer vary, some don't really harden and then react.

Leeboo
18-07-09, 06:41 PM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd139/leeberto/S4010394.jpg

If I was doing it again i would have left the seam sealer in warm water first to soften it like somebody said earlier. Ignore the black stuff I was trying out stonechip

Benn
18-07-09, 08:12 PM
The way i've allways been told to do it is, Etch everything, then put the sealer on then primer and paint.

But they all should be paint overable.

Is you paint it on then go back over the top is an S patton it gives a factor look as thats what they do..