PDA

View Full Version : de-locking advice

Ric 16v
17-02-03, 05:38 PM
I'v got 2 second hand doors which are MINT that I'v stripped down ready to be sprayed but to save some money I want to de-lock them myself, would it be allright to fibreglass some mesh over the back of the lock holes then filler on the outside to get it smooth, will it crack like this or wioll it be ok ?

Alex
17-02-03, 05:45 PM
it should be ok, but it would be better if you welded a plate there

Ben (lurk75)
17-02-03, 05:50 PM
lead fill them thhen wont carck up, but yes welding plate is better than fiberglass mesh although that will work ok.

Alex
17-02-03, 06:00 PM
how do you lead fill something, just out of interest?

Ben (lurk75)
17-02-03, 06:08 PM
god knows always wondered, i give loads of advice havent got a clue how to do any of it though, just no whats good to do! :lol:

Alex
17-02-03, 06:17 PM
:lol:

Ric 16v
17-02-03, 06:20 PM
I'll look into the lead filling to see how to do it, would have thought you would just melt a bit of lead into the hole !!!! thanks

mikeoxford
18-02-03, 12:30 AM
there used to be a kit off s personal bloke somewhere on the net who made these blanking nuts / bolts, basically do it up from inside and then you just smooth over the top.

he stopped making them i think but its an idea.......

wisewood
18-02-03, 10:09 AM
i blanked out my own once with some bits i bought for abot 1.50 from a local DIY shop. some rubber washers of various sizes, a bolt with a flat round head and a a couple of nuts to make sure it is on tight... done.

It was really easy and didnt look too bad either.

pickle2000
18-02-03, 02:31 PM
I have found a website that shows you how to fit one of those blanking plates.
http://www.btinternet.com/~mark.layen/mycar/delock/passdoor/passdoor.htm
Looks like just a flat nut and a couple of washers to me, shouldn't be too hard to find/make. If not then just pop down to your local school and get some 'Design and Tech' kids to knock one up on a lathe.... :D
Then just cover over the blanking plate.. nice and smooth... 8)

wisewood
18-02-03, 02:54 PM
Thats pretty much what i did but i used some rubber washers on inside and outside to help waterproof it a bit better.