PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroo Juice in my engine

crashbandicout
17-02-03, 05:33 PM
Hi, over the past 10 hours ive been tinkering with my car to try and rid it of the kangroo fever, since i got the car it has been jumping when im wanting some acceleration when at a normal legal speed.

I recently changed the distributer cap which sorted the problem for a while but the kangaroo are back, ive just put new spark plugs in and changed the fuel filter as i thought there maybe a blockage but no look, i also cleaned the distributer rotory arm which improved it bit but not all, im gonna change the rotary arm in the morn, just wanted to no if anyone else has had this prob and how they solved it cheers

Alex
17-02-03, 05:35 PM
HT leads?

Ben (lurk75)
17-02-03, 05:47 PM
yeah on the wrong way round.

mikeoxford
17-02-03, 06:05 PM
check in the haynes for the order of the numbers...........i cant remember of the top of me head

acutally i gotta go down the garage in a minute to fetch digicam and watch i left down there so ill post in a bit

farrie boy
17-02-03, 09:52 PM
yeah i had this problem and changed the fuel filter and rotor arm with little succes then i realised it was damp a few minutes with the wd40 can on my leads,plugs n all the electrical connections and the problem went away forever.

mikeoxford
17-02-03, 11:24 PM
the problem went away forever.

wd40 evaporates mate so it wont be forever ;) maybe a couple of months

mikeoxford
17-02-03, 11:27 PM
RE the plug order.......

looking from the passenger side at the end of the dizzy cap.......

going CLOCKWISE on the cap

on 1 litre models

very top plug is number 4
next is number 2
next is number 1
next is number 3

on 1.2 anb 1.3 litre models (assume to be 1.4 and upwards models also?)

very top plug is number 1
next is number 2
next is number 4
next is number 3

coincidently the 1 lite dizzy spins clockwise whilst the OHC engines of 1.2 models etc go anticlockwise........... go figure!

Dicko
18-02-03, 09:31 AM
your assuming wrong mike as i did last week. i kno for a fact that a gte and sri are different as i fitted the gsi cap with leads in gsi order and i spat flames out b4 i realised they wer different. lol

mikeoxford
18-02-03, 07:03 PM
is a starnge one this

car sounds to run sweet as a nut right - followed the plug order i put above (1.4 engine)

but as soon as my mechanic gets the strobe light timing it, he has put tipex on the pulley and also the mark, and its supposed to be ten dgrees out right?

for some reason on the timing gun its 180

how come?

Manta Mad
18-02-03, 08:50 PM
I had the kangaroo effect a while back, thought it was damp and sprayed WD40 on the leads but turned out to be the small carbon contact in the centre of the dizzy cap, it was breaking up and causing intermittent contact with the rotor arm.

Had a similar problem a while back, that time it was the air vent from the fuel tank which runs to the front of the car into a charcoal canister under the passenger front wing (fuel injection) another pipe goes from this canister back into the fuel injector housing thing (like a carb!) - this was sucking fuel straight through the canister causing overfueling and kangaroo effects :x

Could be one of many things though :(

crashbandicout
18-02-03, 09:38 PM
thanks everyone for the advice i think it is the dizzy arm as ive been tinkering with that and it sometimes goes of, im gonna get a loan out ommorow and get a new one. lol

crashbandicout
19-02-03, 03:25 PM
got it sorted it was the dizzy rotar arm, was fucked miles better now cheers :D