PDA

View Full Version : sbd type c manifolds?

yayoboy
14-07-09, 04:15 PM
as title, how easy do they fit in a xe nova, was going to be my next purchase for the build, but would like to see if any1 has used them before, cheers

Will F
14-07-09, 10:20 PM
As easy as fitting a normal one!?

:confused:

It will obviously need cutting and mating to your exhaust, and you wont be able to add/remove it with the rad/fan in situ, but thats it!

skidmarkz
14-07-09, 10:29 PM
As easy as fitting a normal one!?

:confused:

It will obviously need cutting and mating to your exhaust, and you wont be able to add/remove it with the rad/fan in situ, but thats it!

not quiet lol....

you cant use the studs with the type c as its so large bore you cant get the angle to fit it, you have to replace the studs with cap head bolts.

This makes lining up the gasket, holding the manifold and bolting it on not very easy on your own.

Also, you may want to get it ceramic coated as it is mild steel and will go rusty colour real fast, i combatted this at first by spraying the manifold with Duck oil just before it was put away, gives it a nice shiney bluey finish :)

Also dont bother buying one if your not going to match the rest of the system to 2 1/2 inch mandrel bent, :thumb:

Will F
15-07-09, 09:09 AM
not quiet lol....

you cant use the studs with the type c as its so large bore you cant get the angle to fit it, you have to replace the studs with cap head bolts.

This makes lining up the gasket, holding the manifold and bolting it on not very easy on your own.

Also, you may want to get it ceramic coated as it is mild steel and will go rusty colour real fast, i combatted this at first by spraying the manifold with Duck oil just before it was put away, gives it a nice shiney bluey finish :)

Also dont bother buying one if your not going to match the rest of the system to 2 1/2 inch mandrel bent, :thumb:

If you read the full post I already said that??

They should come already coated - although I did ask before I purchased mine and it came done.... I may have had to pay extra actually?

skidmarkz
15-07-09, 12:00 PM
If you read the full post I already said that??

They should come already coated - although I did ask before I purchased mine and it came done.... I may have had to pay extra actually?

was just elaborating that you dont have to take the rad/fan out if you change to cap head bolts :thumb:

neither of mine came coated, that was extra :(

Will F
15-07-09, 07:18 PM
You still have to take the fan out (original one anyway) I fitted 2 SPALs for that reason!

I cat believe that for £600 + they dont come coated. Joke.

skidmarkz
15-07-09, 07:32 PM
You still have to take the fan out (original one anyway) I fitted 2 SPALs for that reason!

I cat believe that for £600 + they dont come coated. Joke.

strange, i have a standard fan & rad and dont have to remove either..?

I agree, for the price they should be coated for free!!

novaxe235
16-07-09, 01:57 PM
mine used to come off/on with the standard rad and fan in place tight but could be done much easier now with front mounted fans.i also left two shortened studs in to hold the gasket in place also made life easier.

philip
17-07-09, 02:26 AM
or use a tony law exhaust manifold, ive got one for my corsa awesome manifold and £323 delivered. not quite as long as the sbd/btb one though, but then you have the SBD added tax!lol

tony law exhausts do alot for the n/a cossy boys, auto/rally cross lads. **** hot imo

Will F
17-07-09, 08:40 AM
or use a tony law exhaust manifold, ive got one for my corsa awesome manifold and £323 delivered. not quite as long as the sbd/btb one though, but then you have the SBD added tax!lol

tony law exhausts do alot for the n/a cossy boys, auto/rally cross lads. **** hot imo

I thought they were as expensive as SBD! Well thats good news then - if ever I hit another pothole, I will be paying Tony a visit!

skidmarkz
17-07-09, 10:00 AM
I thought they were as expensive as SBD! Well thats good news then - if ever I hit another pothole, I will be paying Tony a visit!

2nd that!

yayoboy
17-07-09, 10:39 AM
interesting.. i take it the tony law ones are also 2.5" mild? are the flow rates the same, ie are they as good as each other? cheers for all replies

yayoboy
17-07-09, 10:50 AM
just spoke to tony law and they have said they want me to take the car up to them, well cant do that lol! looks like sbd then...

edit: £450 - £500 is the price they quoted too, same as sbd really

Will F
17-07-09, 12:16 PM
just spoke to tony law and they have said they want me to take the car up to them, well cant do that lol! looks like sbd then...

edit: £450 - £500 is the price they quoted too, same as sbd really

:mad:

Thought as much! The SBD ones are nearly £600 for mild right?

Stainless would be a joke. Best bet would be to get dimensions from Dick (SBD) and give them to a decent exhaust manufacturer...

Stainless came in at £250 a few years ago for my 1.6 16v - although I was a regular SBD customer at the time, dunno how willing they would be to send it to any old monkey! ;)

yayoboy
17-07-09, 07:42 PM
well ive just thought fook it and bought the sbd one, i also have been a bit of a regular at sbd the past few months and craigs give me a pretty good discount, so i thought what the hell lol! next q is really my first q again, how much of the pipe where it will meet the rest of the exhaust will need to be cut/bent, or will it rest as such when fitted to just have the exhaust place just m8 up to it? need to know has steve at sbd said to find out first as im getting them to send it straight to camcoat for the ceramic coating, and i dont wanna send it if ive got to cut/bend it first, cheers folks, sean

Graeme
17-07-09, 07:47 PM
Iirc Nick Caro had Jp exhaust in Macc, replicate a sbd type c, they showed me the jig when they were doing my exhaust, might be worth a call

yayoboy
17-07-09, 08:07 PM
Iirc Nick Caro had Jp exhaust in Macc, replicate a sbd type c, they showed me the jig when they were doing my exhaust, might be worth a call

paid for now m8, but might be one for the future hearin all these pot hole stories lol , cheers

skidmarkz
17-07-09, 10:18 PM
:mad:

Thought as much! The SBD ones are nearly £600 for mild right?

Stainless would be a joke. Best bet would be to get dimensions from Dick (SBD) and give them to a decent exhaust manufacturer...

Stainless came in at £250 a few years ago for my 1.6 16v - although I was a regular SBD customer at the time, dunno how willing they would be to send it to any old monkey! ;)

Dick no longer works their Will, he has gone back to Aerospace Engineering :(

skidmarkz
17-07-09, 10:20 PM
well ive just thought fook it and bought the sbd one, i also have been a bit of a regular at sbd the past few months and craigs give me a pretty good discount, so i thought what the hell lol! next q is really my first q again, how much of the pipe where it will meet the rest of the exhaust will need to be cut/bent, or will it rest as such when fitted to just have the exhaust place just m8 up to it? need to know has steve at sbd said to find out first as im getting them to send it straight to camcoat for the ceramic coating, and i dont wanna send it if ive got to cut/bend it first, cheers folks, sean

you should have the rear match the manifold, dont cut anything off the manifold it's dimensions need to be left as they are :thumb:

philip
17-07-09, 10:27 PM
hmmmm i just rang him up and said i want a fwd 20xe manifold and came to £323, maybe i was lucky.

will get some pics up of it 2moz anyway so can see the main dif between TLE and SBD/BTB

yayoboy
17-07-09, 10:40 PM
you should have the rear match the manifold, dont cut anything off the manifold it's dimensions need to be left as they are :thumb:
so basically mount it to the car as it comes, is there no need to bend it or anything? am i free to send it straight to the coaters then? sorry to keep askin just wanna be sure as i dont have to fork out for more postage! phil m8, he must have liked the tone of your voice cause he was a right **** with me lol , even tried to explain i knew someone who had it and it was 'get the car here or we cant do it'! must of thought i was a girl racer or something, oh well lol cheers

philip
17-07-09, 11:12 PM
haha odd, how fa ra re you from warickshire btw? i was there tues night picking an XE up for a job, sure i saw on the map you were left and down abit from therelol

yayoboy
17-07-09, 11:22 PM
almost m8, im bout 30 miles from warwick, left and up a bit lol! let me know the next time you come down this way, have a nose a the nove plus could bring a cyli head

philip
17-07-09, 11:23 PM
will pop over one day when get a moment and have a mooch, only took me 2hours to get to warrick the other night...the polo flies!lol

Will F
18-07-09, 12:17 AM
How much did you get it for?

Just get it coated, then cut/weld it whens its on the car. There is no way at all you could get it modified without offering it up to the sump first. Steve can be a bit of an a** hole and wont have time for those who wont give him a blank cheque to 'sort it'....

You do actually need to cut the downpipe iirc, as it comes out in the wrong place, so just get it bolted up and see whats what.

yayoboy
18-07-09, 01:17 AM
now my heads screwed! 2 diff opinions on whether 2 cut or not! The best way i know is get it sent 2 me first fit it and see whats what, just would rather save postage money and get sbd 2 send it if i know 4 sure i aint gotta cut it, bend it. If i have got 2 cut or bend it i wanna do that first as 2 have a perfect ceramic coat when its done

novaxe235
18-07-09, 12:21 PM
when i fitted mine i cut the end where it goes into 1 on the o/s 180 degrees pulled it round with a bit of heat to make things easier so it came out in-line with the exhaust tunnel otherwise it was fine tight as f u c k on the sump though must have about 2/3mm Clearence. i'd have it coated then mod it as its only the very end of the down pipe and one weld needs doing.

Will F
18-07-09, 03:11 PM
now my heads screwed! 2 diff opinions on whether 2 cut or not! The best way i know is get it sent 2 me first fit it and see whats what, just would rather save postage money and get sbd 2 send it if i know 4 sure i aint gotta cut it, bend it. If i have got 2 cut or bend it i wanna do that first as 2 have a perfect ceramic coat when its done

It will need to be cut - they are too long for a nova. YOu may just get away with it if you have an internal shifter, but even still its not a big deal tbh.

skidmarkz
19-07-09, 09:25 AM
so basically mount it to the car as it comes, is there no need to bend it or anything? am i free to send it straight to the coaters then? sorry to keep askin just wanna be sure as i dont have to fork out for more postage! phil m8, he must have liked the tone of your voice cause he was a right **** with me lol , even tried to explain i knew someone who had it and it was 'get the car here or we cant do it'! must of thought i was a girl racer or something, oh well lol cheers

What type c did you order? there are 2....

AST2 - Perfect - no need to cut the manifold down "Just checked i dont think they sell this anymore" wierd
AST3 - Way too long

Take a look at this, i have got the AST2 Type C at the mo and this is how it fits,,,
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120318&page=10

Will, i have never had to cut either of my manifold's to fit them, i do have a custom system, with the normal shifter, what manfold did you order mate ?

yayoboy
19-07-09, 10:19 AM
yeah they only stock the ast 3 now and thats the one iv got coming... thanks for the link to pics tho, have will f or novaxe got any pics, sounds like they have also got the ast 3, cheers

Will F
19-07-09, 04:25 PM
iirc they only stock the latter - mahoosive one....lol

Either way its no biggie!