PDA

View Full Version : Squeek and burning smell

MattyWoo
17-02-03, 04:00 PM
Right this is a dodgy one. its probably two problems but at the moment this car is one big problem.
Basically when im driving along i can hear a squeek coming from the drivers side front wheel, it sounds like its sort of every time the wheel goes round cos as i go quicker the squeeking gets faster.
Also when i stopped outside my house the last few days i can smell burning coming from under the drivers front wheel arch, the same place that the squeeking is coming from.
any ideas?
cheers
Matt

Alex
17-02-03, 05:16 PM
is your actual alloy wheel hot after a drive?

MattyWoo
17-02-03, 05:21 PM
the tyre isnt but the wheel itself feels hot yeah

Alex
17-02-03, 05:24 PM
does the car pull to one side?

It may be a warped brake disk or a siezed calliper

MattyWoo
17-02-03, 05:28 PM
I was just saying to anton it seems funny under braking. i just changed the discs and pads about 600 miles ago.
so siezed caliper then?? how do i get that fixed, do i need a new caliper??
How much would it set me back to fix.
Cheers bud
Matt

Anton
17-02-03, 05:28 PM
does the car pull to one side?

It may be a warped brake disk or a siezed calliper

me thinks the same

Alex
17-02-03, 05:32 PM
you would be better off replacing the caliper. You can get money off if you trade in your crap one. I would do it ASAP because if you leave to too long, the heat will warp the disk which will add to the bill :( (thats what happened with me).

Make sure you bleed the system when you do it

MattyWoo
17-02-03, 05:33 PM
how mcuh tho. anyone know??

Alex
17-02-03, 05:35 PM
depends where you go and for what size engine.
?50 max

Anton
17-02-03, 05:36 PM
or your pad my have picked somthing up, thats happened on me corsa, makes a rubbing sound from 20mph. But that wouldnt account for the wobbling or pulling

Alex
17-02-03, 05:39 PM
depends what it is it has picked up. Just look at the caliper/pads/disk in the light. you may be able just to spot the problem. If not change the caliper

MattyWoo
17-02-03, 05:40 PM
I'll phone my local boys in the morning. see what they say about it.
cheers lads

MattyWoo
17-02-03, 05:47 PM
just phoned them, they said bring it down tomorrow am and they will do a free brake check on it. He said to clean the caliper is ?20 and a new caliper is about ?90. :o
im skint

Alex
17-02-03, 05:54 PM
that ?90 may be without trade in. If they dont do it go and get a caliper yourself and give it to them to fit

MattyWoo
18-02-03, 11:55 AM
Sorted.
Went to teh garage this morning they looked at the caliper and said the sliders were rusty. they did an overhaul of the caliper, greased everything up for ?20. well pleased, apart from me discs are apprently blue from overheating grrrr. he said they shud be alright for 6 months or so thats not too bad.
Cheers
matt

Alex
18-02-03, 12:49 PM
lucky you got it sorted now, otherwise they would be fucked completely :D