PDA

View Full Version : Another Nova gone... Scrappage

Mint FRST
13-07-09, 10:40 PM
Following recent scrappage threads I thought it apt to tell you my little story. Unfotunately I have given into the deal and purchased a new car. The Nova had to go - hope you understand:tard: Just wanted a bit more power, the old OHV just couldnt cut it... lol

p.s. I still have another Nova in my garage:thumb:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Chris225/H949%20SAB/focusrs001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Chris225/H949%20SAB/focusrs005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Chris225/H949%20SAB/focusrs003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Chris225/H949%20SAB/focusrs006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Chris225/H949%20SAB/focusrs002.jpg

djbrowney
13-07-09, 10:45 PM
Foad

Mint FRST
13-07-09, 10:46 PM
Foad

Come again?

Spudly
13-07-09, 10:46 PM
:cry:

EDIT

FOAD, mean Fudge Off And Die!

let_nova
13-07-09, 10:47 PM
Fixed Or Repaired Daily.

Plug
13-07-09, 10:49 PM
the nova looked mint :(

but the focus looks mint also :thumb:

R1CH
13-07-09, 10:50 PM
:thumb:
Would rather have that than some sh*t box Nova anyday ... wouldn't like to have to pay for it tho !!

Mint FRST
13-07-09, 10:51 PM
Fixed Or Repaired Daily.

That old chesnut, dont you mean First On Race Days;)

The Fudge off and die threw melol

Mint FRST
13-07-09, 10:53 PM
the nova looked mint :(

Twas a good en, no would would give me what I wanted and it wasnt worth £2000.00:p

dannyb
13-07-09, 10:54 PM
At least you didn't chop it in to buy a Kia Piccanto or some other such sh1te. A heroes death! Did the old Nova have much life left in it?

L14MNP
13-07-09, 10:54 PM
Awesome FRS mate. Wise move!

Mint FRST
13-07-09, 10:56 PM
At least you didn't chop it in to buy a Kia Piccanto or some other such sh1te. A heroes death! Did the old Nova have much life left in it?

It was unwelded and had 53k on it! I drove it from Staffordshire to Leeds to collect the Foci and it didnt miss a beat! It was the longest jouney I ever did in itlol

vxr_racing_2008
13-07-09, 10:57 PM
:eek: .............................. speechless!.........................:wall: ....lol

vxr_racing_2008
13-07-09, 10:58 PM
Now try doing that journey in your focuslol ...... and see what happens:d

Spudly
13-07-09, 10:59 PM
It was unwelded and had 53k on it! I drove it from Staffordshire to Leeds to collect the Foci and it didnt miss a beat! It was the longest jouney I ever did in itlol

My mate went to trade in his old SRi years back at car craft, poor old nova knew what was coming and died halfway there LOL lol

Mint FRST
13-07-09, 11:01 PM
Now try doing that journey in your focuslol ...... and see what happens:d

Sure did on the way back, plenty of these:d

The attention was un real, people slowing down to take pictures on their phoneslol

6th gear 75mph was 2000rpm in the Foci, the Nova screaming at 90 was a fair bit higher up in the rev rangelol

Lynsey
13-07-09, 11:11 PM
My mate went to trade in his old SRi years back at car craft, poor old nova knew what was coming and died halfway there LOL lol

It died of a broken heart :cry:

It's a shame that it was a decent shell which had to go, considering most are rotten. But it was a mk2 *phew* Have fun with the Focus :cool: As said, I would NOT like to be paying for that!

Ben
13-07-09, 11:14 PM
Seriously thinking about getting in debt for one of these!

L14MNP
13-07-09, 11:15 PM
Wonder how many tools thought you had gone out and bought it today cos an identical one was on TG last night. lol

Adam
13-07-09, 11:16 PM
Focus RS is an awesome car, nice purchase.

And for anyone asking, when i saw it that nova was pretty much mint, proper original! lol

7ova
13-07-09, 11:16 PM
rs focus was on top gear last night,
wish i had one mate :cry:

burgo
14-07-09, 01:53 AM
murderer. should have sold that one and then bought a rotter for 50p to trade in

wwmnw
14-07-09, 02:05 AM
murderer. should have sold that one and then bought a rotter for 50p to trade in

Have to have owned to car for 12 months before you can do this scrap scheme thing, That Nova did look in good condition as well, But I know what Mint frst means when he says it was screaming at 90 as I have a spin too and with only 4 gears, They aren't in the low rev range for long lol.

~~joycey~~
14-07-09, 02:29 AM
Thats criminal! think you should get off the site tbh :roll:

Rick Draper
14-07-09, 03:39 AM
:thumb:
Would rather have that than some sh*t box Nova anyday ... wouldn't like to have to pay for it tho !!

Would rather give you that nova and a dry rub for a WRC focuslol lol Thats the deal aint it?

bmw156
14-07-09, 07:31 AM
its fine, its a mk2, and you are the one paying the servicing costs on the focus not me

rdznova16v
14-07-09, 09:36 AM
my cousin went to get one of these a few weeks ago but was told there is a two year waiting list so he got the new st 3, with an option to trade for the rs in two years,

*Dave*
14-07-09, 09:47 AM
Found On Roadside Ditch!!

Andy
14-07-09, 09:48 AM
Lmao at all the negative comments from the anoraks lol
It were up for sale long enough and nay one bought it so your all worse than him! lol
Nice car,very nice choice.I just think the colour is too loud.I prefer them in the blue.

Ben
14-07-09, 10:03 AM
so your all saying that if you could afford it you would rather have th nova? rofl sad sad people!

7ova
14-07-09, 10:06 AM
everybody's different, not keen on the green
blue or white if i had one

same with the focus st,
wasnt to sure about the orange when it came out!

Andy
14-07-09, 10:06 AM
Thats what it sounds like eh! lol (ben)

valvercorsa
14-07-09, 10:09 AM
VXR any day. if i was going to get a new car

but thats just me VAUXHALL in the blood lol

kieran jackson
14-07-09, 10:16 AM
found on roadside dead

Mint FRST
14-07-09, 10:27 AM
Love the comments good or bad.

Fact is I want this car for me and no one else...

I went for green as lets face it, it will be one of the things it will be remembered for...

As for servicing costs mentioned they will be nothing compaired to a Subaru or Mitsi or equivalent.

As for sheer cost of it, I work hard like most and working hard gives you rewards i.e. being able to pay for it - or in a round about way...

Over and out.

Ben
14-07-09, 10:30 AM
Dont blame you in the slightest and agree if you buy a car like that its not to blend in so the green works a treat.

What does it drive like?

Mint FRST
14-07-09, 10:39 AM
Dont blame you in the slightest and agree if you buy a car like that its not to blend in so the green works a treat.

What does it drive like?

Have only done 175 mile in it. It is extremely torquey even off boost as you would expect from a 2.5l 5 cylinder. The attention it receives is awesome!

Got to do 500 miles at below 4000rpm:roll: lol

7ova
14-07-09, 10:46 AM
Love the comments good or bad.

Fact is I want this car for me and no one else...

I went for green as lets face it, it will be one of the things it will be remembered for...

As for servicing costs mentioned they will be nothing compaired to a Subaru or Mitsi or equivalent.

As for sheer cost of it, I work hard like most and working hard gives you rewards i.e. being able to pay for it - or in a round about way...

Over and out.

good on you mate, 25k well spent in my eyes
i,ve been looking at the focus ST lately
but cant decide between the blue, white or black (with no stripes)
but would love to have your RS,
but dont want to spend that much money :cry:

joeSRI
14-07-09, 10:58 AM
i thought scrappage was for small crappy 1.0 and that?

Ben
14-07-09, 10:59 AM
any new car!

boyle_46
14-07-09, 01:17 PM
For Older Retired Drivers ! ! ! only fords i would ever have in my posession is a xr2i flea and a mk2 scort ,

L14MNP
14-07-09, 01:22 PM
Don't you mean an XR2 fly? lol

napalm_27
14-07-09, 01:25 PM
god old volvo engine in that not much ford left on it :thumb:
nice car fair play
im thinking of trading my old mans 06 plate clio in already lol lol lol

L14MNP
14-07-09, 01:26 PM
T5 motors FTW. Mates mother has an ST500 and it shifts well, brakes are another story though! Think they're from the XC90?

FRST, you got 4 pots on yours?

Novaboi_1991
14-07-09, 01:28 PM
tht rs looks mint mate,

ive always wondered, why a nova? we all spend so much time and money on them has anyone ever wondered why did we choose nova's? lol

if i could insure one of those rs's id have my loon in soon as i could, i.e tax and tested etc

L14MNP
14-07-09, 01:33 PM
I like them cos they were all over the place/mags when I was growing up and as far as I was concerned very cool motors, especially with the early XE/LET conversions.

napalm_27
14-07-09, 01:34 PM
i liked them due to the fact that my mate had one took me out and scared the sh*t out of me in his lol

Stuart
14-07-09, 01:37 PM
T5 motors FTW. Mates mother has an ST500 and it shifts well, brakes are another story though! Think they're from the XC90?

FRST, you got 4 pots on yours?

the prototype RS I was playing with in Jan had XC90 brakes..... dear lord they work so so so well.

Volvo dont warranty the engine or gearbox as Ford pushed the power levels above what the sweedes were happy with so Ford are covering it, so dont expect miricles from any warranty issues. Get a Mountune upgrade for it ;) (might aswell, worst case is it does better MPG and mroe power lol)

L14MNP
14-07-09, 01:46 PM
These brakes were fading badly after about 20 minutes B road fun lol. I wasn't driving but could feel them suffering. Maybe my mates fault? Nice handling chassis though, as with nearly anything (new) I've driven with a Ford badge.

Bet the RS is something else! Did you break it Stu? lol

Stuart
14-07-09, 01:49 PM
it was my style before I got hold of it.... bits of trim missing, rattle can matt black touch up round the body, minging wheels (imho better looking like that than the showroom greener that was in the reception of FoE main building)

didnt break it (not for the lack of trying), and the brakes certainly took the abuse we were dishing out (the only thing that wasnt bitched about tbh).

eleventymillion bhp/lbf through 2wd on snowy roads FTW (I really wouldnt want to ever own one though... but its fun abusing someone elses lol(

Mint FRST
14-07-09, 01:52 PM
the prototype RS I was playing with in Jan had XC90 brakes..... dear lord they work so so so well.

Volvo dont warranty the engine or gearbox as Ford pushed the power levels above what the sweedes were happy with so Ford are covering it, so dont expect miricles from any warranty issues. Get a Mountune upgrade for it ;) (might aswell, worst case is it does better MPG and mroe power lol)

Production cars run the XC90 brakes, havent tested them as bedding everything in nice. Car is only on 175miles to date...

Waiting for the Mountune upgrade to be released... Should take it up to the 360Bhp mark and warranty will be intact...

I have heard of T5 lumps pushing 500Bhp +:eek:

L14MNP
14-07-09, 02:01 PM
Mental T5 engines.
First one is a legend lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yWrY0tAOsU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUVBXqe8MyM

Must be a nightmare having to run a car in lol.

Stu, interesting mate. I'm sure your lot punished cars a lot more than my mate did, maybe his fluid had boiled over from the previous owner lol.

Jack
14-07-09, 02:20 PM
any new car!
Is it? Win! I'm taking a diversion past the Ariel factory on the way home tonight to wangle me £2k off an Atom :d

ive always wondered, why a nova? we all spend so much time and money on them has anyone ever wondered why did we choose nova's?
The look on Craigs face as we both pootled past a drop-top 911 coming back from Billing pretty much summed it up for me. I looked across and he was :d whilst I was lol

sal9971
14-07-09, 03:57 PM
nice choice! i bet theres a bit of difference in power! lol love the colour too.

Welshy
14-07-09, 04:13 PM
if you chopped it in for an rs i understand, its foookin beutifull!!

paul james
14-07-09, 04:27 PM
Couldn't you have been naughty and swapped the shell I.D's with a rotter nova and traded that in!

NovaLad
14-07-09, 04:31 PM
Sorry to be nosey and not sure if it's already been asked but...
Was it 2k that you got knocked off the ford? and what did it end up coming to?

Mint FRST
14-07-09, 04:37 PM
Sorry to be nosey and not sure if it's already been asked but...
Was it 2k that you got knocked off the ford? and what did it end up coming to?

£2000.00 discount inline with government scrappage scheme.

Car price dependant on spec on the Ford website configuirator...

Mint FRST
14-07-09, 04:38 PM
i brought the car abou 2-3 days ago it needs weldin i cant take it to be done as i dnt drive atm learnin tho :), i brought the car £180 its got a £100 cd player 51k on the clock runs very nice gear box is smooth

Swap you my RSlol

Ben
14-07-09, 07:44 PM
Swap you my RSlol

i got a couple of sisters and a cousin i will swap for a go, or a brother if that takes your fancy!

MattBrown
14-07-09, 07:52 PM
I think you made a mistake!

A car that was going up in value, you have just swapped for a car that has cost you 5k to take out the showroom!

Long live novas:)

Joe Richardson
14-07-09, 08:05 PM
nice 1 mate :thumb:

my dad is scrapping a mk6 RS2000 on that 2 grand plan:)

daverobson
14-07-09, 08:24 PM
shame that nova had to be scraped, hope they stop that scheme soon as,

Ben
14-07-09, 08:43 PM
Just because they say there scrapped you can get them VIC checked and re applyfor logbooks

Spudly
14-07-09, 08:51 PM
Just because they say there scrapped you can get them VIC checked and re applyfor logbooks

IF... the dealership/scrap yard will allow you to do it or sell you it which most dont/wont:cry:

Mint FRST
14-07-09, 09:29 PM

A car that was going up in value, you have just swapped for a car that has cost you 5k to take out the showroom!

Wrong... I could sell this vehicle above list due to this years allocation being sold and in production. Due to the hype people are paying above list just to get one now and not wait till next year... Then factor in my £2k saving...

Still have another Nova, however it is soon forsale...

kent14sr
14-07-09, 09:42 PM
How can anyone knock the fact someone has sold his 53k Nova for £2000??

Yes it was tidy - but who would pay £2k for it??? - it was up for sale for long enough for less.

Very sad another shell has gone to the sky - but enjoy your Focus mate! I would have done the same!

At least you took the decent bits off the Nova!

I would have loved to buy the shell - but would not have paid £2k or £1k to be honest!

Mint FRST
14-07-09, 10:06 PM
How can anyone knock the fact someone has sold his 53k Nova for £2000??

Yes it was tidy - but who would pay £2k for it??? - it was up for sale for long enough for less.

Very sad another shell has gone to the sky - but enjoy your Focus mate! I would have done the same!

At least you took the decent bits off the Nova!

I would have loved to buy the shell - but would not have paid £2k or £1k to be honest!

CheeRS mate...

7ova
14-07-09, 10:41 PM
one less nova, means the value of every other nova has gone up a bit lol

stunning RS mate :cool:

Rexy
14-07-09, 11:05 PM
Gotta agree, The RS is stunning and its only a boggo ****e mk2 nova anyways so who really gives a ****e.

Enjoy the new car, its a ****ing aweful colour but the whole package is a hands on whinner :D Still prefer the older Focus RS cant beat the originals :D

nova_saloon
14-07-09, 11:10 PM
To be honest id know which one id have

Jack
15-07-09, 07:45 AM
Couldn't you have been naughty and swapped the shell I.D's with a rotter nova and traded that in!
Doesn't solve the problem that nobody wanted to buy the car in the first place though lol

Long live novas :)
I can't see the RS dropping in value, not for a year or so yet until supply catches up to demand. Even when the value does drop, I'd happily bet the value will never go as low as a poverty spec Nova price. Even a written off RS would be worth more than a Nova lol

shame that nova had to be scraped, hope they stop that scheme soon as
Isn't it only supposed to run for a year? I'd wager they "extend" it for a few months at least though to get more people in on it.

I thought once they'd been handed over on this scheme they HAD to be cubed? Not even any parts are allowed to be stripped off? All part of the government's "lets get old cars off the road [subtext: lets get people buying cars on finance rather than owning them outright]" initiative.

I don't agree with the scheme, I think the government are being incredibly short sighted with it, but I really don't blame people for taking advantage of it - I'd certainly consider it if I had a low value car to trade in. Its the simplest way of getting £2k off list price if you can't be bothered to haggle.

dannyb
15-07-09, 04:50 PM
I don't agree with the scheme when people are scrapping £1500+ worth of (around) T plate cars with loads of life left in them which still have a wide buying audience.
From a 'green' viewpoint, its atrocious - scrap a perfectly good car to get a new car which has to be made from raw materials which need extracting etc etc.
It encourages people to get into more debt in a time of recession and it's their own fault if they do this.
There will come a time when the market's saturated with everyone and more who was going to buy a new car, then we will be back to square one with lots more cars sitting redundant. Its putting the problem of car manufacturers going bust on hold for a year.
In China, sales of cars (British ones too) has gone mental as the banks flood the country with credit. This has meant that commodity prices have globally gone higher as a result of China's dependance. Our oil prices have gone up which, in the words of The Times is 'a high price to pay for selling a few Jags'

However, the other side of the coin is the British consumer voting with their feet. When they have an old car which cannot be sold for anywhere near 2 grand and this scrappage deal comes along, it is irresistable.
In the case of our friend with the nice new RS, he would probably have bought a new car like the RS regardless of the scrappage scheme (2k off list isn't a huge amount when youre talking 25k plus) and the sale of the Nova just helped the sale along the way. Good luck to him and I'm sure he is bright enough not to get carried away buying a car he cannot afford.

It's the people buying a 5 grand Kia which they cannot afford, which will depreciate and be worth as much as their 1500 quid 'banger' in 3 years, having paid 7 or 8k in finance for this inferior product.

RJM25R
15-07-09, 11:39 PM
Is it? Win! I'm taking a diversion past the Ariel factory on the way home tonight to wangle me £2k off an Atom :d

lol

Ariel haven't signed up for the scheme matey! Sorry!!!

RJM25R
15-07-09, 11:43 PM
my cousin went to get one of these a few weeks ago but was told there is a two year waiting list so he got the new st 3, with an option to trade for the rs in two years,

6 months I believe? A local "face" who had a Scirocco off me in October has just ordered one. Losing 6 grand on his VW with the trade-in! :tard: He won't care, he prob makes that in a month tax free. Depressing really.

RJM25R
15-07-09, 11:53 PM
I don't agree with the scheme when people are scrapping £1500+ worth of (around) T plate cars with loads of life left in them which still have a wide buying audience.
From a 'green' viewpoint, its atrocious - scrap a perfectly good car to get a new car which has to be made from raw materials which need extracting etc etc.
It encourages people to get into more debt in a time of recession and it's their own fault if they do this.
There will come a time when the market's saturated with everyone and more who was going to buy a new car, then we will be back to square one with lots more cars sitting redundant. Its putting the problem of car manufacturers going bust on hold for a year.
In China, sales of cars (British ones too) has gone mental as the banks flood the country with credit. This has meant that commodity prices have globally gone higher as a result of China's dependance. Our oil prices have gone up which, in the words of The Times is 'a high price to pay for selling a few Jags'

However, the other side of the coin is the British consumer voting with their feet. When they have an old car which cannot be sold for anywhere near 2 grand and this scrappage deal comes along, it is irresistable.
In the case of our friend with the nice new RS, he would probably have bought a new car like the RS regardless of the scrappage scheme (2k off list isn't a huge amount when youre talking 25k plus) and the sale of the Nova just helped the sale along the way. Good luck to him and I'm sure he is bright enough not to get carried away buying a car he cannot afford.

It's the people buying a 5 grand Kia which they cannot afford, which will depreciate and be worth as much as their 1500 quid 'banger' in 3 years, having paid 7 or 8k in finance for this inferior product.

OK but aren't newer cars safer? So a few driver/passenger/pedestrian lives may be saved. Thats more imprtant than a pseudo-green image.

Isn't it injecting revenue into the country? Keeping people in a job. Not just the car manufacturers, think about the salesmen (Like mysef) mechanics, admin, parts manufacturers, halfords, valeters etc etc etc, plus all the money payed in tax from all these guys wages etc, people taking @dead@ money from rainy day savings (earning no interest) and buying something new) You don't have to have finance, you could pay cash. Most of the cars being sold are already manufactured, sat in a field so your raw materials argument is flawed also! Most people who have got a ten year old car will probably buy the new car and keep that for years anyway, so depreciation is just not that large a factor.

And you're never getting 2k off a Focus RS. Ever.

RJM25R
15-07-09, 11:56 PM

I love this site! Lost 5 grand? Bolll0cks!

And the nova has appreciated? What, it was worth ten quid last week and now it's worth 30? Next year it might go up to 50!!

RJM25R
15-07-09, 11:57 PM

Nope, if the garage don't have the car collected by an approved scrapyard, they don't get the government 1000 pounds. (the other 1000 ia from the manufacturer!)

Jack
16-07-09, 12:00 AM
This has meant that commodity prices have globally gone higher as a result of China's dependance. Our oil prices have gone up which, in the words of The Times is 'a high price to pay for selling a few Jags'
Oil prices are interesting. The above isn't quite true, crude oil has pretty much returned to its pre-"credit crunch" level of ~$60 a barrel, so to say we pay "more" for oil these days is wrong (in fact, compared to the $149 a barrel price of exactly 12 months ago, this is a bargain!). The price did plummet to $30 in Feb this year (did you see an 80% drop in petrol prices? I didn't...) amidst the recent financial crash, picked up to $60 by May, spiked to $70 over June and has now dropped back to $60. My local supermarkets recently dropped their fuel price to 99.9 from 102.9 under the guise of "helping the consumer". So why was it, when the price was at $60 a barrel in May, was the pump price 98.9?

I digress. lol

Ariel haven't signed up for the scheme matey! Sorry!!!
Poo, knew there was a catch :(

MK999
16-07-09, 12:07 AM
OK but aren't newer cars safer? So a few driver/passenger/pedestrian lives may be saved. Thats more imprtant than a pseudo-green image.

Isn't it injecting revenue into the country? Keeping people in a job. Not just the car manufacturers, think about the salesmen (Like mysef) mechanics, admin, parts manufacturers, halfords, valeters etc etc etc, plus all the money payed in tax from all these guys wages etc, people taking @dead@ money from rainy day savings (earning no interest) and buying something new) You don't have to have finance, you could pay cash. Most of the cars being sold are already manufactured, sat in a field so your raw materials argument is flawed also! Most people who have got a ten year old car will probably buy the new car and keep that for years anyway, so depreciation is just not that large a factor.

Think about the lost jobs for all the above where people aren't buying parts to repair their brand new cars.

Money paid in tax on their wages is laughable tbh, no single car is gonna contribute the 25k a year or whatever it works out to be to make the 1k it's costing the government back in tax... If your car running costs are that high I suggest you buy something else, probably something old that doesn't have to be serviced under warranty at a premium.

The cars are already built yes, but their replacements to keep stock levels normal are not.

If you have 8k+ hard cash lying around for a new car what are you doing with a 10 year old one on the drive exactly? No one with a 10 year old car is gonna be the kind of person to be able to afford the 2k 'drive it off the forecourt' premium normally.

RJM25R
16-07-09, 12:39 AM
Think about the lost jobs for all the above where people aren't buying parts to repair their brand new cars.

Money paid in tax on their wages is laughable tbh, no single car is gonna contribute the 25k a year or whatever it works out to be to make the 1k it's costing the government back in tax... If your car running costs are that high I suggest you buy something else, probably something old that doesn't have to be serviced under warranty at a premium.

The cars are already built yes, but their replacements to keep stock levels normal are not.

If you have 8k+ hard cash lying around for a new car what are you doing with a 10 year old one on the drive exactly? No one with a 10 year old car is gonna be the kind of person to be able to afford the 2k 'drive it off the forecourt' premium normally.

You're very guilty of pre-judgement there my friend. I have a customer called Bernard who lives in a 500,000 house in Saddleworth and runs a 53 plate Golf estate. Not ten years old, but not what you'd expect parked in the double-garage next to his 6 bedroom detached house!

Look around on this site to show how wrong your last statement is! I know people on here driving around in Novas who have plenty of money in the bank, and I could name you 10 people who earn over 40k a year!

I've got 10 scrappage deals ordered for SEPTEMBER already, and 7 of them are over 40 and paying cash.

That premium you mention as you drive off the forecourt is commonly known as VAT my friend! If you buy a new car, 15% of it never makes it to the garage itself.

Getting back to your flawed logic about the tax back for the government, spend 10 grand and thats 1500 quid VAT back, or 20 grand is 3000 VAT back. So assuming you drive to my VW dealer and buy a brand new polo/golf on scrappage,the government have immediately earned back EVERY PENNY of the subsidy it gave to you, and more! It also gets another tax disc fee, another reg fee, another 10% IPT on your new insurance policy which will inevitably be more expensive than your ten year old sh1tter, tax on the fuel for the transporter that delivers the car to the showroom, income tax from the salesman, income tax from the mechanic who does the PDI, tax from VW's profits etc etc etc etc. It's all revenue-gathering!!!

Also, manufacturers are MASSIVELY OVERSTOCKED so the levels will not need topping up. They are way over normal, and all manufacturers have cut back on production already.

You are however correct about the people in back street garages fixing old cars, but inevitably these guys don't pay their taxes properly, so the government will be less concerned. Harsh, I know, but they want to keep me and my gaffers in work paying 40% rather than the guy "at the arches" whose creative accounting keeps him below that!

RJM25R
16-07-09, 12:56 AM
Quick maths here, keeping it simple.

I sell a Polo for 10 grand on scrap. Government give VW 1000 pounds. They take 1500 in VAT, 125 for a tax disc, 55 registraton fee. The customer buys a set of mats, 50 quid say, so they get another 7 quid VAT. I get paid on average 150 commission per car. Drop it to 100 for the sake of argument. 40 quid going to the government! PDI costs 100 pounds, 17.50 is VAT. Cust insures new car, conservatively say 300 quid. Government takes 10% IPT. Customer takes GAP, say 300 quid, and 10% IPT on that goes to Alister Darling. My boss hits his target due to me selling more cars from the scrappage scheme, pays some more (I dunno how much) You see how this snowballs? We're looking at 1804.50 that the government takes, bot they give back a grand to VW. They still have 804.50 that they DIDN'T have before the scrappage scheme! But I haven't finished yet! If I do my target, I get a five hundred quid bonus. I then pay 40% tax on that! Obviously, you have to split that tax between every scrappage car I sold that month, things are getting complicated here aren't they?!!!

I forgot........................

You're also potentially removing a car off the road which would be MORE likely to evade tax, insurance and MOT (3 out of 5 cars impounded by police for being unroadworthy are over ten years old - fact - because people won't spend money on a car thats worthless)

Ben
16-07-09, 10:57 AM
I agree with Rick on all his arguments.

Except you can still buy the scrappage cars off the salvage dealer, i know people doing it on a daily basis!

Mint FRST
16-07-09, 11:12 AM
Oh what a de bate...

Ben
16-07-09, 11:24 AM
yeah i was thinking what can of worms, the whole thing in one thread, economics, enviromental, hatred its got it all!

MK999
16-07-09, 11:42 AM
totally forgot about the tax on new cars, so fair point on that being earned back.

Most of the novas on here owned by people with enough cash to burn on a new car, are not very likely to be traded in, even mint FRST tried selling his for less than the 2k it was worth to him under scrappage before he did it.

As for Bernard, you're right, it's not a 10 year old car. Doesn't strike me as that unusual to be sat outside a house like that, It's only 5.5 years old after all. I would think the mortgage is sapping most of his money.

And not every garage fixing old cars is some dodgy backstreet place that's dodging taxes. Money earned by them is unlikely to sit around in a bank account either so you have VAT on whatever they buy etc, and it's still lost jobs and bad unemployment numbers to the government. And also probably a far larger business than new cars, although the sale of a new car may well generate more revenue, I certainly don't plan to spend 10k on mine in the next year, and what I do spend I doubt will be taxed, as 2nd hand sales.

On buying the scrapped cars, they only have to be given to the scrap dealer to fulfill the requirements of the scheme afaik, so that means the little 'scrapped' box is ticked, application for a V5 (V62 iirc?) and a VIC check sees them back on the road I believe?

Ben
16-07-09, 11:44 AM
On buying the scrapped cars, they only have to be given to the scrap dealer to fulfill the requirements of the scheme afaik, so that means the little 'scrapped' box is ticked, application for a V5 (V62 iirc?) and a VIC check sees them back on the road I believe?

Yes thats correct, obviously only if the salvage dealer sees value in them otherwise he will just weigh it in.

MK999
16-07-09, 11:50 AM
Yes thats correct, obviously only if the salvage dealer sees value in them otherwise he will just weigh it in.

Hopefully most will :) I saw a near mint looking mk2 golf in a scrappy the other day, was sat on top of the racking though as if to be out of reach to the vultures :d if I didn't only just about have 2 pound coins to rub together I probably would have asked what he wanted for it lol

Stuart
16-07-09, 11:53 AM
new cars are bad for the trees hmm K

think of all the development that goes into them, the years on dynos (without cats for a lot of it), the sheer energy and planet killing that goes into getting aluminium for most car parts etc etc I dont care about the environment, but the utter toss about new cars being better for it is a big ass lie, ok long term is emissions will be lower but the sheer "cost" upfront of the manufacture out weighs that imho

MK999
16-07-09, 11:57 AM
Cavaliers on 350k miles is the true meaning of recycling lol

Jack
16-07-09, 01:08 PM
And not every garage fixing old cars is some dodgy backstreet place that's dodging taxes. Money earned by them is unlikely to sit around in a bank account either so you have VAT on whatever they buy etc, and it's still lost jobs and bad unemployment numbers to the government. And also probably a far larger business than new cars, although the sale of a new car may well generate more revenue, I certainly don't plan to spend 10k on mine in the next year, and what I do spend I doubt will be taxed, as 2nd hand sales.
If 1,000 small garages go out of business and 5,000 staff lose their jobs thats not news. However if one car plant goes out of business and 5,000 staff lose their jobs, that IS news.

yeah i was thinking what can of worms, the whole thing in one thread, economics, enviromental, hatred its got it all!
Now all we need is religion lol

let_nova
16-07-09, 04:36 PM
not my fault im black. you got a problem?

dannyb
16-07-09, 04:50 PM
not my fault im black. you got a problem?

lol

dannyb
16-07-09, 05:21 PM

You obviously have a vested interest in this scheme Rick as your job benefits from it!
You are right about car safety, if you have a kiddie the last thing you'd want them in is a rotten old Nova. That's why I drive an Audi!
The people in the jobs you mention would still have a job; think how many 10 year old car owners actually use mechanics, valeters, parts manufacturers Halfords etc.
You cannot make the assumption that people have thousands in a rainy day fund rolling about under the matress earning no interest!
I know the cars have already been made and are sat in a field but they didn't materialise out of thin air. They used energy and raw materials to be made, and more will probably be made to keep the stocks up, utilising more raw materials - what I was getting at was that it's greener to keep an old car on the road, rather than bin something which can still be used. Its the throwaway culture that annoys me; if we didnt have this mentality, car manufacturers would have cottoned on and would not be producing as many cars as they have.
Mintfrst just did get 2k off a Focus RS though, through said scheme. I was using it to illustrate how using the scheme is beneficial, but making a point that 2k off a 25k car is proportionally not much (like if you were to save 2k off of a 9k car).
Rant over, we have got to stop being so pedantic. lol

Mike
16-07-09, 05:31 PM
Following recent scrappage threads I thought it apt to tell you my little story. Unfotunately I have given into the deal and purchased a new car. The Nova had to go - hope you understand:tard: Just wanted a bit more power, the old OHV just couldnt cut it... lol

p.s. I still have another Nova in my garage:thumb:

Fookin hell Chris :) it is as ace as you said!! Would chop a Nova in for £2k anyday!! Jesus, that Corsa of mine mite be going the same way soon as the Nova shell is being crushed

Sir Sideways
16-07-09, 06:22 PM
Very nice car their Mint FRST :thumb:, Ive seen one same color driving in Stone, same color, makes my head turn every time. I'd chop the Nova in any day for one of those.

I just hope they extend the scheme for about ten years till i can afford a new car lol

RJM25R
16-07-09, 08:27 PM
I agree with Rick on all his arguments.

Except you can still buy the scrappage cars off the salvage dealer, i know people doing it on a daily basis!

Ah, Ben, I was talking about the dealers rather than the scrap yards matey!!!

Mint FRST
16-07-09, 10:28 PM
Fookin hell Chris :) it is as ace as you said!! Would chop a Nova in for £2k anyday!! Jesus, that Corsa of mine mite be going the same way soon as the Nova shell is being crushed

Had her out for the 3rd time last night - Trying not to use her in the rain (How sad I know lol) Got the mileage up to 229 odd now. Took a good friend out who has an Arden Blue Astra VXR. He was smitten... Told him I will take him back out when properly run in and had 1st oil change.

Had a lol moment, guy in a 53 plate M3 cabby went round an island, saw me waiting at the junction and went completely round again to look. Get slowed right down and gave us the :thumb: . My mate said "You know him" said aint got the foggyiest...

Stuart
17-07-09, 08:28 AM
The engine was run in before it left the engine plant, let alone the extra running in the factory did lol. Just use the slut :d

Mint FRST
17-07-09, 01:03 PM
The engine was run in before it left the engine plant, let alone the extra running in the factory did lol. Just use the slut :d

Have heard all sorts of storys etc re this. Have a letter from Frauds claiming to stay below 4k for the 1st 500 miles. Gunna stick to it anyhow for my piece of mind. I aint getting much chance to use it anyway:(

MK999
17-07-09, 01:07 PM
They're probably just gunning for an excuse if you blow the rods out the block lol I'm guessing Stu has worked on them as iirc he worked mainly on ford ecu's, although he may jump in and point out i'm spouting bollocks lol

Daz9124
17-07-09, 02:17 PM
It's a no brainer - Enjoy her and keep her mint!

Would love to see some in depth photo's of your new RS

Mint FRST
17-07-09, 03:37 PM
It's a no brainer - Enjoy her and keep her mint!

Would love to see some in depth photo's of your new RS

Thanks dude... Coming soon...

dj_wudgey
17-07-09, 06:30 PM
gutted looks tidy that nova!!

Tim-SR
17-07-09, 10:16 PM
tis a shame that that nova is destined for the bone yard, but still have fun in your RS :) i'm jelous lol

Mike
17-07-09, 10:59 PM
tis a shame that that nova is destined for the bone yard, but still have fun in your RS :) i'm jelous lol

LOL its only a Nova, get over it & stop living in the 80's* lol lol

*Unless its an 80's Ford/VW/Peugeot then i take that comment back lol

vx kev
17-07-09, 11:05 PM
Hate to say it but the focus rs does look cracking, especially in that colour :thumb:

Its just a pity the garage has no option but to turn the old nova into a cube :cry:
Unless someones figured a way round it yet :confused:

Mike
17-07-09, 11:08 PM
Its just a pity the garage has no option but to turn the old nova into a cube

I though GM done that upon desinging them.

As areodynamic as a pork chop some say....

areofall
18-07-09, 11:37 AM

Stupid boy :tard: , you should have bought a Sh1t box nova in white switched the plates and bucked it into the garage and be left with a mint car and £2k of your new car.

Pete Lybs
18-07-09, 10:41 PM
That's why the scrappage scheme sucks and why it should be scrapped. Most of the time people are scrapping mondeos which people aren't to worried about but when a car like your Nova that still has years left in it comes along its a real shame to see it crushed. How do you persuade an old guy with a 1983 1.0 thats worth not a lot moneywise to not scrap it for 2k? It sucks!

Imagine if they'd done the same thing in the early nineties? There wouldn't be many Morris Minors, Minis, Escort Mk2s and Dolomite Sprints left would there??

Jack
19-07-09, 12:35 AM
There wouldn't be many Morris Minors, Minis, Escort Mk2s and Dolomite Sprints left would there??
There aren't. lol

I did read an interesting article on Parkers (I think) saying how manufacturers had increased their prices anyway so in many cases the £2k saving was negated by higher prices. Meh.

JonD
19-07-09, 01:05 PM
nice focus, lovely colour, excellent choice;)

Bobminda
19-07-09, 01:17 PM
On a quite Essex night you can hear the fords rust

bigdan1
30-10-09, 06:28 PM
Fixed Or Repaired Daily.

found on roadsides dead is a better one lol

i must admit it is a fukin sexy car lol the ford that is

Bubba
30-10-09, 06:48 PM
jus a shame the whole front strut is one unit and u have to replace thow whole damn lot, hub, spring, damper etc...or that what my mate at vospers said, they sounded quite complicated.

let_nova
30-10-09, 07:18 PM
thread is more than 3 month old......

Mint FRST
30-10-09, 08:10 PM
lol sure is.

Update on the Focus, now run in and currently on 1100 miles. Oil changed at 972 and the full benifit of 1.8bar of boost has been felt lol