PDA

View Full Version : got me a welder... now what

Tidy Max
12-07-09, 02:11 PM
well im now the proud owner of a SIP migmate 130turbo, yayy

bought for 80quid with 3 full gas bottles (small size) a helmet AND a reel if wire, game on, im just trying my hand at doing some flat welds on a piece of sheet metal, struggling to get penetration but succeeding in getting major splatter!

tips anyone?

pikey1986
12-07-09, 03:13 PM
try slowing the wire feed down a bit or upping the power a touch:thumb:

paul james
12-07-09, 03:20 PM
I've previously ended up putting the gas on full to get the best results.
This is a great site to read through: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

Ben
12-07-09, 04:02 PM
got me a welder... now what?

Buy a grinder!

Mike
12-07-09, 04:23 PM
Buy a grinder!

LOL lol lol

Wire speed 6 to 7, gas mark 6 i run & have never had any issues welding flimsy shonky GM's up :)

Tidy Max
12-07-09, 04:33 PM
cheers chaps! paul i have already signed up to that forum lol and been reading the tutorials, getting abit better now, got some nice spatter on my hands too, hot stuff

the settings on my welder are abit odd, and i cant change the gas rate, ill just keep plodding on though! thanks for the replys!

Mike
12-07-09, 04:35 PM
cheers chaps! paul i have already signed up to that forum lol and been reading the tutorials, getting abit better now, got some nice spatter on my hands too, hot stuff

the settings on my welder are abit odd, and i cant change the gas rate, ill just keep plodding on though! thanks for the replys!

You need a gas regulator in your life!!

Get some gaunts FFS, you'll have uber bo welding burn hands else lol

Tidy Max
12-07-09, 04:42 PM
bah, i have my hoody wrapped around them, just a shame its more holy that john paul himself,

i will get some gauntlets mike, i know i am in need of them! the gas bottle is a disposable one, and it has a valve ontop which i unscrew to switch on, but there are no values etc on it!

i have been unscrewing the actual bottle when im finished too to aviod leaks :)

paul james
12-07-09, 04:52 PM
no wonder your getting splatters if your hands are getting covered with molten metal! go to your local machine mart or whatever and buy some proper gloves, they don't cost much! You really do want to have every bit of your flesh covered up, you'll be overly warm, but the fact you can relax knowing you wont get any painful surprises makes for better welding.