PDA

View Full Version : problem with the Nova

Joe Richardson
10-07-09, 09:20 PM
I have a problem with the Nova:(

The battery light is on all the time,and it wont go out,I have checked every single earth,I have had the alternater recondishioned,I have had a different battery on it aswell and it still wont go out,I have had a multimeter on it when it was running and that is reading ok.

could anyone have any suggestions:)

cheers Joe

AlexW
10-07-09, 09:21 PM
Dodgy wiring behind the dash? Oh and post it in the right section....

paul james
10-07-09, 09:21 PM
faulty battery light!

ianglanister
10-07-09, 09:26 PM
i had this with my first one but was the alternator. i would check all wiring as above and check all wires to and from the battery if you can

Joe Richardson
10-07-09, 10:30 PM
cheers,how hard are the clocks to get out on a mk1 SR:confused:

AlexW
10-07-09, 10:32 PM
Haynes manual.

They just pop out.

Asa-James
10-07-09, 10:38 PM
"push" the top of the clocks in, the bottom pops out. get in behind and disconnect the speedo cable and plug, and slide out towards the centre of the car. two minutes tops

mowgli
10-07-09, 10:42 PM
the only reason for a battery light to come on is that the car is not charging faster than the battery is discharging...

so
1. alternator could be knacked.
2. the 'charge' wire is damaged or disconnected
3. the earths are not good enough
4. the battery is shot.

on a nova, the dash light being on will not cause a charging problem

on a lot of the opel stuff, including mk1 astras, the battery light was an integral part of the charge circuit, and if blown, it would stop the alternator working, but if it is on, then obviously it is not at fault

Joe Richardson
10-07-09, 10:45 PM
the only reason for a battery light to come on is that the car is not charging faster than the battery is discharging...

so
1. alternator could be knacked.
2. the 'charge' wire is damaged or disconnected
3. the earths are not good enough
4. the battery is shot.

on a nova, the dash light being on will not cause a charging problem

on a lot of the opel stuff, including mk1 astras, the battery light was an integral part of the charge circuit, and if blown, it would stop the alternator working, but if it is on, then obviously it is not at fault

The alternater has just been recondishioned :thumb:

mowgli
10-07-09, 10:54 PM
and you are young enough to still trust recon parts..... it might be faulty.

to get a recon out for the low trade prices, as opposed to the high retail prices, there is a good chance that the rectifier is faulty

Joe Richardson
10-07-09, 11:01 PM
and you are young enough to still trust recon parts..... it might be faulty.

to get a recon out for the low trade prices, as opposed to the high retail prices, there is a good chance that the rectifier is faulty

could be owt mate,should be fixed though !

Tim-SR
10-07-09, 11:53 PM
i would go with one of mowgli's ideas. what was it reading when you had it running and you checked the voltage at the battery?

Joe Richardson
10-07-09, 11:56 PM
i would go with one of mowgli's ideas. what was it reading when you had it running and you checked the voltage at the battery?

14.4 V or so mate:thumb:

Tim-SR
10-07-09, 11:58 PM
ah ok then so its definatly charging so could be a problem with the wiring behind the dash then like whats been said,

Joe Richardson
11-07-09, 12:00 AM
ah ok then so its definatly charging so could be a problem with the wiring behind the dash then like whats been said,

yeah i think that is the problem,im going to check all the wiring in the engine bay tommorrow then try and take the clocks out and check behind there:thumb:

Tim-SR
11-07-09, 12:08 AM
have fun dude and report back :)

mowgli
11-07-09, 08:46 AM
the battery light is connected from Fuse 18 straight to the alternator, so in normal circumstances, it would show up as an alternator fault...

BUT there is a connection from between the light & the alternator that goes to the +ve (pin86) of the heated rear window relay!!!. now, if that is shorting or faulty, it would make the circuit & turn the light on......

have a prod about there as well, according to haynes as you look at the fuse box, there are 3 relays in a row sticking out under the fuse box. the one you are after its the one on the left (nearest the steering column)