PDA

View Full Version : Nova GTE Suspected Head gasket / cracked head :( :( :evil:

stanman24
16-02-03, 07:24 PM
I just taken my nova gte into a garage cos of a suspect Head gasket

I noticed the problem when i was idle in a traffic jam and suspect smoke appeared outta back, I immediatly pulled over and opened the bonnet, I noticed a bulging radiator hose [left hand side of head], I immediatly let out the gas via expansion tank and the car stopped blowing smoke and the irratic idle dissapeared

I called out the rac and got a lift home, I havent used the car since then and the car still runs well be4 gas build up [idling in garage]

usual signs of head gasket

ie milkshake on oil filler top
coolant smells of exhaust fumes etc
bubbles rising to exp tank

I am worried that the head might be cracked, is there any well of telling if this is the case without taking the head off

Though the garage are gonna take the head off during the coming week I just wanna be prepared so i dont get blagged by the mechanics into spending big bucks

The car has had regular oil changes

The only bad thing I have noticed is revving the engine on a cold start, it burns a bit of oil, but obvously if you leave it to tick over for a minute after starting then oil does not appear on revving, I know I shouldnt rev on cold as it is an ohc :P

Ben (lurk75)
16-02-03, 07:33 PM
It does sound ominous, if it is the head gasket get the head skimmed at the same time saves bother later.

Dicko
17-02-03, 11:00 AM
theres a 99.9% chnce the head aint cracked ill put money on it.
simple head gasket change and get it skimmed same messing about. for parts and a skim including new cam belt/bolts/gasket your looking at ?90-?110 with genuine parts (do not use anything but a genuine vaux gasket)

stanman24
17-02-03, 01:01 PM
cheers m8 :))

mikeoxford
17-02-03, 11:52 PM
(do not use anything but a genuine vaux gasket)

if you dont follow dickos advice u WILL regret it!

lol. its worth the few extra pennies/POUNDS

the head gasket is easy enough to do yourself, im into my computers, and electronics / stereo / ICE the most and i got my hands grubby and enjoyed it, got a load of digicam pics if you interested.

really is a nice job, just have faith and follow the destructions (instructions)