PDA

View Full Version : Engine continues to run after ignition off

cunit
09-07-09, 08:44 PM
Ok just got my car running again and it the engine doesn't switch off when I turn the ignition off.

Ive had this before when I put the wrong bulb in one of the lights and had my foot on the brake but this time my foot isn't on the brake.

There are some lights not connected up yet cos I don't have the bulbs and the hazzard switch isn't in plave yet.

Anyone had problems like this before or know how to fix???

*Dave*
09-07-09, 09:02 PM
iv had this when i wired in an xe , the wire i thought was swithed live was actually constant live lol

a while ago i may add.

cunit
11-07-09, 05:29 PM
lol can you remember which wire it was

mayhem
11-07-09, 05:43 PM
black is switched live, red is constant live.

stevei
11-07-09, 07:45 PM
is the ignition switch okay?

CoolTiger
11-07-09, 11:55 PM
check hazard switch mine stayed on once with that abit loose

Cle
12-07-09, 01:10 PM
Turbo timer lol

Asa-James
16-07-09, 03:17 PM
i had this t'other week when i swapped my clocks, bad earth/crossed wire on the clocks somewhere. might be worth checking if you've been behind them?

comptoncj
16-07-09, 06:21 PM
my one does just the same, its a good trick goin along the road :P as i have no steering lock on my old nova hehe, i found mine to be a short to earth in the dashboard and when i moved the dash it stopped the problem, i was investigatin this the other day and i found it to be the dash wiring on the back of it had bridged to bits together i think due to age haha so i simply ensured the two parts would not meet and put the dash back in and happy days

greg1.4
18-07-09, 04:22 PM
mine done the same..

turned out to be the hazard switch..

cunit
04-08-09, 09:47 PM
still having problems with this. I've un-wrapped the loom and checked all the wires, connections and switches and it all looks ok.

Could there be a problem with the ignition coil module? is there something in there that could prevent the engine from switching off?

bowman
04-08-09, 10:01 PM
did you try it with the hazard switch removed?

cunit
04-08-09, 10:37 PM
Ive tried it with the hazzard switch in place and removed. All bulbs are in and working too.