PDA

View Full Version : thermostat in a 1.2i

Tidy Max
09-07-09, 08:13 AM
i cant get to it!

i know its in the thermostat housing, which is basically on the end of the cylinder head, but if im reading the haynes right and looking in the right places, it looks like i have to remove the cam belt! and that cant be right can it?

AlexW
09-07-09, 08:24 AM
On one of those you have to remove the cambelt and cambelt covers.

mikey14sr
09-07-09, 09:50 AM
If it's got the square-top belt covers (the rear cover is one huge piece of plastic) then yes, belt will have to come off. If the belts approacing 4 years old or it's done close to 40k since it was last changed, might as well replace it, and the waterpump too.

Tidy Max
09-07-09, 09:59 AM
bloody hell, alright, i will do, i always thought checking the stat was a easy job haha, why make it so easy on the 1l and other models!

ahh well, cheers!

mikey14sr
09-07-09, 10:56 AM
Stats don't fail as often as they used to, and are normally changed when the waterpump is, which is usually when the belt gets changed. Also it was cheaper to get a one-piece rear belt cover made of plastic than modify the two-piece metal ones when they started to fit the auto-tensioners.

AlexW
09-07-09, 11:15 AM
On the 1.2 SPi's you could change for a carb cambelt cover, altho its not worth it lol