PDA

View Full Version : Rac

Jack
09-07-09, 07:35 AM
Realised last night my RAC cover was due to expire, so dug out the renewal letter - sure enough, its expired as of a couple days ago. Considering the flakey state of the saloon I thought I'd better re-sign up with them, but no doubt it will be more expensive. Renewal price was £104 with the couple years worth of "no-callout discount".

Went online to see how much it was. £74 for exactly the same level of cover. ROFLMAORACFAILCOPTERBREAKDOWN

I might ring them up just to LOL down the phone at them lol

L14MNP
09-07-09, 10:06 AM
Stop failing. Carry a socket set or join the AA. lol

Jack
09-07-09, 10:21 AM
AA FTL, they wanted like £150 or something daft to cover me!

And psh, spanners. Do you fancy changing a gearbox on the side of the M5? lol

Tidy Max
09-07-09, 10:29 AM
aa barely fix at roadside anymore do they? at least you never see them doing, its only the RAC which have a crack imo!

L14MNP
09-07-09, 10:32 AM
I get the AA through my bank, I never expect them to fix anything, only tow me home on the rare occasions I need them - so I can bodge it myself. lol

Andy
09-07-09, 10:39 AM
They only tow you because its more cost effective to.They could spend 2 hours trying to fix your car when they could maybe recover you in half the time thus leaving them free to do another job
Alot of recovery firms subcontract work from Green flag rac etc so they just have trucks rather than vans full of tools

hc coupe
09-07-09, 10:44 AM
The RAC wouldn't give up on my car once. I just wanted to get a lift home but he wouldn't stop until it was fixed lol.
I think I didn't have Insurance as I just bought the car so phoned them up saying I've broken down. I just switched the fuel pump off ... In the end i gave up switched it back on and went home, he was very proud that he fixed it so i gave him the glory lol

L14MNP
09-07-09, 10:50 AM
lol It's cool when they send a proper mechanic out though rather than just some guy who wants to recover you isn't it!

I know the feeling when you are after a free ride home and they spend forever under the bonnet until it's fixed lol

The last time I eoncountered a decent AA bloke was just before I rebullt my Volvos carb, it was full of stale fuel etc from being laid up 16 years (whoops) the guy had the carb in bits and was showing me how to suck blockages through on the starter etc. Seemed pleased to be involved with a car without an ECU for once. lol

He never succeeded either and agreed to follow me the 3 miles home and tow me if I broke down again, 1.5 miles later I was on solid bar lol

Hobbit
09-07-09, 01:42 PM
AA FTL, lol

I did a bit of recovery for a local firm and we got work sub'd to us from aa, rac, green flag...

The only comlaints i got were from aa customers that aa had left stranded for 4/5 hours. I would never use them.

Lee
09-07-09, 01:48 PM
When the Fronty broke down on the way back rom PV last year we got a proper mechanic guy from the AA.

It amused me when we both diagnosed the fuel pump so to confirm it we started it by squirting easy start down the inlet. The Mrs started whooping for joy and got back in the car bless her lol

She didnt fancy sitting on the engine squirting it in all the way home though lol

Asa-James
09-07-09, 02:14 PM
we had green flag come to look at my dads car once, i'd serviced it the day before and gone off to work, he went to go out and it cut out almost straight away, so he phoned revovery. the bloke came, arsed around, bled thru the injectors (cav diesel) and then told my dad it would need towing to a garage for an engine strip down as it looked like the injectors had failed. my dad told him to leave it for the time being. i got home, took the fuel filter off and reseated the seal properly (my fault at being in a rush) and it stated first turn of the key. its now been going for over 2 years without that stripdown...

and i get AA thru my bank as well, but (touch wood) in five years i've never broken down to the extent of having to be towed home. my last nova cut out in the outside lane in heavy rain, two minutes on the hard shoulder and it was fine, and my first nova flooded its carb when i was on my way to take my AS levels, half an hour strip at the side of the road and i spent the exam stinking of fuel and oil. i failed that one btw :)

mikey14sr
09-07-09, 02:37 PM
Maybe one day I should look into membership of the AA or RAC, but upto now I've made a point of carrying some tools with me on longer trips, and if I couldn't fix it a quick call to thunderbird 6 (aka dad and his little punto) would see me on the end of a tow rope (proper jobbie, non of this nylon or kinetic crap) and back home.

In fact that's exactly what happened a couple of years ago when the 1300 in the SR boiled off not just it's coolant, but also it's oil! The punto managed to tow me all the way back to hull from wooley edge services on the M1 near wakey. Don't think it'll manage pulling the vectra though!

Actually the vectra did sort of break down coming back from PVS last year, 10 miles from home the alternator started over-charging, made it back home though.

AlexW
09-07-09, 03:40 PM
Ive been thinking about AA/RAC/Green flag due to the amount of problems ive had with my nova, touch wood the only time ive ever needed help is when my work vans gearbox, clutch and flywheel decided to die at 70mph in the outside lane of the M11.

Its great having friends with trucks lol

Lee H
09-07-09, 03:52 PM
The guys faces are a picture when they come out to a converted car.

Before they open the bonnet they usually say "these old cars are usually easy to get working again" and then their face falls when they see the LET crammed in there and they get the bar.

Never managed to get one fixed at the roadside yet, when I break them I seem to do it properly :cry:

I'm with the RAC by the way, always had great service. Just got my first year ever no call out discount and then proceeded to break down in the MR2 15 miles from picking it up from Coventry a couple of days later.

raymond
09-07-09, 04:20 PM
never used a roadside company before till yesterday the hire car i got sent (due to my pug being in the workshop for repairs after a little bump) was leaking fuel rang them up they sent the rac out to come and have a look at needless to say i thought the service was excellent they came within the hour, before the time i stated, and also temporary fixed the car for me to use,

The driver did and sell me the service on own car for when i get back lol

The hire company still dont want to swap the car over thus leeding to it maybe breaking down again

Gashgusher
09-07-09, 07:14 PM
AA are gash, just flatbed monkeys most of em. and the renault wagons theyve got are rubbish too. ive had the pleasure of half a dozen of them in past few years, and none seem to have a working third gear. RAC ftw imo

oh, and the 51/52 plate transits are cool too, mate's just bought one from auction. still got a load of kit/ lights/ whirly bird with it, uprated rear suspension, rwd, and a hench towball.

craig green
09-07-09, 07:28 PM
Greenflag is the only one I can't fault tbh.

AA suck.

Travel in packs, carry a rope & tools. Call Dad if it goes proper-wrong!

Mike
09-07-09, 07:29 PM
Greenflag is the only one I can't fault tbh.

AA suck.

Travel in packs, carry a rope & tools. Call Dad if it goes proper-wrong!

Agreed. Green Flag are so much better :)

And calling Dad is aways a sure fire winner lol

Jack
09-07-09, 10:13 PM
TBH I probably would call my dad first, but I don't want to rely on him as its not really fair. Plus, I only ever have problems when I'm halfway round the country in the middle of nowhere lol

The guys faces are a picture when they come out to a converted car.
Part of me wants the Nova to break just so I can see the guys reaction when he opens the bonnet :p

RAC have been pretty good to me tbh. Used them twice - once when the Celica ran out of fuel (just fixed the fuel gauge and didn't realise the needle had shifted, doh) where I said "Its probably out of juice mate" and he just put some in; and once on the old saloon where it popped a water hose, the mech just wrapped it up with ALL his pipe wrap. It held for another 1,000 miles LOL

Spudly
09-07-09, 10:21 PM
RAC personal cover FTW, £7.87 p/m, and due to a bank and RAC blunder, free joint cover for my mum for the year FTW, breakdown and recovery:thumb:

mowgli
09-07-09, 10:24 PM
i had an rac man find me a cambelt for my first 1.2 on a sunday evening..... then my bank stopped the direct debit for absolutely no reason & they cancelled my membership........

the missus has AA, my waterpump went & they got us a punto rental, which the missus caned remorselessly for the weekend....

I hate is when the rac man tries to sell me cover outside the services on my way on holiday... I usually have a row with them & spend the next 50 miles muttering about them...

Spudly
09-07-09, 10:30 PM
i had an rac man find me a cambelt for my first 1.2 on a sunday evening..... then my bank stopped the direct debit for absolutely no reason & they cancelled my membership........

Thats exactly what happened with mine so we used my mums account and apparently they cant take payment from a non members bank so thats where the free cover for my mum comes from:thumb:

I hate is when the rac man tries to sell me cover outside the services on my way on holiday... I usually have a row with them & spend the next 50 miles muttering about them...

Victor Meldrew syndrome is the technical term for this methinks lol

Jack
09-07-09, 10:31 PM
Thats exactly what happened with mine so we used my mums account and apparently they cant take payment from a non members bank so thats where the free cover for my mum comes from:thumb:
AA FTL again, my mum paid for my first years RAC as a birthday present lol

mowgli
09-07-09, 10:37 PM
Victor Meldrew syndrome is the technical term for this methinks lol

nope. it started when i was 28 & driving wagons. I'm a bit old school and carry spare bits & a good toolbox. i'd been for a slash in the services & he collared me as i was leaving.
'sir can i interest you in cover'
'no thanks, i mend my own stuff thankyou'
'but what if you can't???? eh?????? who's going to come out and help you then?????'
'well, not you, by the looks of your hands etc'
'are you a trained technician????'
'no, thank god'
'well i hope you don't break down then'
'I won't, i do something called maintenance'

then i'd mutter for 50 miles.....

Spudly
09-07-09, 10:42 PM
nope. it started when i was 28 & driving wagons. I'm a bit old school and carry spare bits & a good toolbox. i'd been for a slash in the services & he collared me as i was leaving.
'sir can i interest you in cover'
'no thanks, i mend my own stuff thankyou'
'but what if you can't???? eh?????? who's going to come out and help you then?????'
'well, not you, by the looks of your hands etc'
'are you a trained technician????'
'no, thank god'
'well i hope you don't break down then'
'I won't, i do something called maintenance'

then i'd mutter for 50 miles.....

"I DONT BELIEVE IT" lol

mowgli
09-07-09, 10:50 PM
I only ever had one breakdown on the motorway & that was a jubilee clip off my efi pump coming undone... a 10 second fix. thus i have saved about £2500 in not buying rac cover

Spudly
09-07-09, 10:56 PM
Ive never had RAC or indeed any other breakdown cover and ive made the jolly to pod three years running now, billing in 07, karting, to wales for robs saloon in fact ive been all over in my nova and my cav and as mowgli so rightly put, ive never needed breakdown due to maintenance, but ive finally been persuaded to purchase it after many moons of my dad worrying about me lol

Ben
09-07-09, 11:09 PM
free rac cover for life lmfao

Whats the point of keying memberships if you cant abuse the system, nearly everyone i know has it lol

Rysee
09-07-09, 11:31 PM
I have AA homestart and brakedown with my bank account it comes in handy when your central locking buggers up or you leave your keys in at the chippy

Ben
10-07-09, 12:01 AM
lmfao you need to call the aa out to break into a nova!

Rysee
10-07-09, 01:23 AM
haha no on my nova I just popped a back window out in a car park.

Cav GSI with dodgy C/l Ii needed them

Ben
10-07-09, 10:32 PM
Thats even worse!

Was once doing some agency work in a warehouse and a serbian guy came upto me and asked if i knew how to break into his cav as he had locked the keys inside, i was like wtf do i look suspicous! but then said yes i do and did.

next day his friend came up and asked if i could take his locking wheel nuts off as he lost the key! Slanderous!

mowgli
10-07-09, 10:34 PM
lmfao you need to call the aa out to break into a nova!

only if you are utterly clueless.... there are hitherto undiscovered pygmy tribes in the amazon basin who could break into a nova in less than a minute,,,,,,

mowgli
10-07-09, 10:35 PM
haha no on my nova I just popped a back window out in a car park. I refer you to my previous comment

Cav GSI with dodgy C/l Ii needed them

I always thought there was a panel in the inner arch with a hidden switch

Rysee
11-07-09, 12:13 PM
news to me, and I wasn't there, my granddad and uncle managed to lock it with he keys in the ignition while i was out.

I never drove the cav i only took it as a more saleable swap for another cav i had as a project

MK999
11-07-09, 02:57 PM
My dad added me on his AA membership for like a tenner last year, used it the first day my car was back on the road as a faulty alternator and rush hour traffic meant the battery entirely died in the middle of reading lol Fella came out, put a multimeter on it said yep that's pretty dead and chucked a spare battery in it.

Wouldn't want them to try and fix anything more complicated though as he thought a remap might cure overheating and hunting because it's had an engine conversion :tard:

Mike
11-07-09, 03:00 PM
Decided, the RAC rock :)

Ive just got me a wickedy bo, low entry long reach 2.2tonne trolley jack for naff all :)

Rich
11-07-09, 03:25 PM
Decided, the RAC rock :)

Ive just got me a wickedy bo, low entry long reach 2.2tonne trolley jack for naff all :)

Because they dont lock their vans?? lol

People with AA cover through the bank, its a complete waste of time unless your 5 minutes from home. I have the cover, waited nearly 3 hours for them to turn up for him to tell me that he cant take me anywhere unless i join. Then because i had only just joined would only take me 50miles... was 80 miles from home.

Im now a proper member for the year, worked out cheaper than ringing up for normal recovery though